PDA

View Full Version : Megatunes Closing

RY213
07-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Megatunes are shutting down both their Calgary and edmonton stores. This is kind of sad, they are an institution in the local music scene.

The Megatunes store in Calgary will be closing by the end of the summer. (Google Street View)

Megatunes, an independent Alberta music retailer, is closing its two stores in Calgary and Edmonton by the end of the summer.

Sarafina Kaine, a manager at the 17th Avenue S.W. store in Calgary, put out a sign Monday advertising a 75 per cent off closing sale on certain items. Regular stock is already 25 per cent off.

"It's a sad reason to have a sale," she told CBC News.

Dropping sales are one of the reasons cited for the store's closing. Megatunes was known for supporting Alberta artists, offering an eclectic selection of music on vinyl and CD, and selling local concert tickets.

"Every single person that works here is extremely knowledgeable about what they do. And the reasons we're so knowledgeable is because it's what we love," said Kaine, who has worked at the Calgary store for almost five years.

'It's one of the best music stores. You can come here to find all the stuff that's very difficult to find or you can order it in.'—Michael Furley, Megatunes customer

"Music is something that we love, and it's something that we're passionate about. It's something we support whole-heartedly."

Mike Pleau opened Megatunes in Calgary in 1988, followed by the Edmonton location on Whyte Avenue in 2003. He died in 2008 but his widow continued to run the business.

Michael Furley — who has been a Megatunes customer since he bought his first heavy metal CD — said he will miss the independent retailer.

"I'm sad. It's one of the best music stores. You can come here to find all the stuff that's very difficult to find or you can order it in," he said. Furley said he'll likely turn to the internet to buy his music.

"I don't really like supporting commercial chains. I like the mom and pop sections of the city."

Kaine pointed out many businesses have closed on the popular 17th Avenue strip in the last few months, including a Rogers video store.

Megatunes employs nine full-time employees in Calgary and Edmonton.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/07/05/megatunes-close-calgary-edmonton-music-store.html#ixzz0t4HQINys

07-08-2010, 12:09 AM
sucks, thought they just renovated... Will have to go take advantage of the sale now!

nonlinear
07-08-2010, 09:27 AM
it's sad to see small indie shops have to shut their doors, but let's face it - the market is gone. IMO, the only way to make profit with a local indie music store is to specialize in vinyl, and even then it's going to be tough. i've been buying from Meloydia Records for years now. they are never very busy, but they do seem to make a go of it. their prices are also cheaper than you see online (when shipping is considered as well).

Tik-Tok
07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Damn, haven't been there in years. Really loved the place pre-MP3 era.

I guess they couldn't wait for more artists to follow Prince's lead :rofl:

R-Audi
07-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Although sales were the problem, the bigger problem was Mike Pleau's ex Wife who was the new owner. She seemingly could have cared less about the store, and run it into the ground.

Rumor is there have been a few people inquiring about purchasing the name, but she also wants an astronomical amount.

Tik-Tok
07-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Rumor is there have been a few people inquiring about purchasing the name, but she also wants an astronomical amount.

Megatunes turns into Mega-Tunes, so easily though...

Dycker
07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Megatunes turns into Mega-Tunes, so easily though...

Agree. Someone could turn these two stores profitable easily. Not make a killing, but at least run in the black.

thrasher22
07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Huge bummer, but I'm going to definitely hit the sale this weekend

Tik-Tok
07-08-2010, 05:08 PM
http://www.originalalamo.com/images/EMPIRE%20RECORDS%20-web.jpg

RY213
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Although sales were the problem, the bigger problem was Mike Pleau's ex Wife who was the new owner. She seemingly could have cared less about the store, and run it into the ground.

I thought the owner was the short dude with the dark brown long hair?

I have noticed in the last 2 years they havent been as quick to get new releases like they once were. Sometimes it seemed like they were sitting on the same old stock and there wouldnt be anything new for weeks.

I think another problem is the astronomical amount of rent a shop owner has to pay to be on 17th Ave. Originally this strip was based around independent businesses, but as soon as big retailers like Shoppers Drug Mart, Bell etc moved in they drove the price per sq ft up for rent and the small guys cant afford to compete...