PDA

View Full Version : Explorer or Pathfinder....Which would you choose?

Skrilla
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I have narrowed my decision down to 2 rigs...Both cost exactly the same, here is my dilemma..Which would you choose? All i want it for is to mess around in the trails, camping fishing etc..Which is the better weekend warrior??

1995 Pathfinder 3.0L 5 Speed 205,000kms

Pros:

-New Timing Belt
-Its a Pathfinder :clap:
-Minimal rust
-Engine runs like a champ

Cons:

-I think the release bearing is going (clutch whines)
-Clunk when taking off (Possible Trailing arms?? Bushings??)
-Needs about a hundred bucks to pass a safety
-Manifold Leaks (not really a con to me but noted)

1996 Ford Explorer 4.0L Auto 230,000kms

Pros:

-Very Very clean inside and out
-Needs nothing for safety
-No Rust/Dings etc.
-Runs great

Cons:

-Its an Exploder
-The transmissions scare the S**T outta me
-Not as off road capable IMO as the Pathfinder

WrongWheelDrive
07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
If you're just trying to choose between those two, I would go with the Pathy...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I would take the Pathfinder.

Deetz
07-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Don't buy an Exploder

It is not just about spec's, the Ford constantly has parts going on it, more so than the Pathfinder

Gorilla
07-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Pathfinder For Sure

CapnCrunch
07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Gorilla
Pathfinder For Sure

Hmmmm, a neglected Pathfinder or a higher mileage Explorer. I'd go with neither, honestly.

Find a lower mileage Explorer or a better taken care of Pathfinder.

Skrilla
07-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Hmmmm, a neglected Pathfinder or a higher mileage Explorer. I'd go with neither, honestly.

Find a lower mileage Explorer or a better taken care of Pathfinder.

True....However find me a Pathfinder or Explorer with low mileage for $1000....Doubtful

arian_ma
07-08-2010, 11:42 AM
You found those cars for $1k? What can $2-3K buy you in terms of a pathfinder??

ee2k
07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Skrilla

True....However find me a Pathfinder or Explorer with low mileage for $1000....Doubtful

You just wasted > $1000 of people's time trying to buy a $1000 vehicle :) Seriously though, if you are only spending that much, it's quite irrelevant as chances are, you will be spending more on keeping it alive. Personal preference is also for a Pathfinder, even the clunky ones look good.

WrongWheelDrive
07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Why did you rule out a Jeep? Just curious...

freshprince1
07-08-2010, 12:37 PM
If you're going for something that old, might as well be the explorer. You will be doing frequent repairs on both, and so, the Explorer will be cheaper for parts and labour if needed.

My brother had that same year Pathfinder and had nothing but problems with it...and this was back in 2002.

The pathfinder looks better, but the Explorer will be cheaper in the long run IMO.

If you were buying newer, my vote would be the Pathfinder.

SR240SX
07-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Pathfinder for reliability for sure.

I have owned my 2002 for a little over 3 years now, 185,000KM and still runs like new, All I have had to change was an 02 sensor. I want camping in maclean last weekend with it and went on some trails and it was super fun..Got stuck once...with stock tires and all..

Khalil.e
07-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Pathfinder for sure..

I've owned a few of those gen pathfinders - and if you keep up regular maintenance that thing will take anything you throw at it.....or anything you throw it off of.

You'll almost definitely have an annoying sound coming from the exhaust manifold, and you'll have frame rust to some degree, and you'll probably have bumpers with a bit of rust..

But aside from that its a very solid suv!

T-Dubbs
07-08-2010, 01:10 PM
explorers are pieces of junk
stay away from them!!!

ExtraSlow
07-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
If you're going for something that old, might as well be the explorer. You will be doing frequent repairs on both, and so, the Explorer will be cheaper for parts and labour if needed.
. . . . . .
If you were buying newer, my vote would be the Pathfinder.

CapnCrunch
07-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Skrilla

It sounds like the Pathfinder is already going to cost you more than that in the short term.

Sounds like the Exploder is well taken care of and the Pathfinder has been neglected. If they were both in good shape, i'd pick the pathfinder. But it sounds like the explorer was treated well.

Skrilla
07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

It sounds like the Pathfinder is already going to cost you more than that in the short term.

Sounds like the Exploder is well taken care of and the Pathfinder has been neglected. If they were both in good shape, i'd pick the pathfinder. But it sounds like the explorer was treated well.

I agree 100%, the only thing that bothers me is the fact of how unreliable the transmissions are in them....I had a 96 Limited which I bought from the original owner who happened to be a family member of mine. It was absolutely babied and looked like new...it had a tad over 190kms on it, and one day out of nowhere the tranny died....3 transmissions later I gave up.

911fever
07-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Pathfinder easily, I had two Infiniti QX4's, both were super reliable. The >97's were GUTLESS though haha

Masked Bandit
07-08-2010, 04:21 PM
If these are only $1000 buy the one that doesn't need anything right now.