PDA

View Full Version : Food delivery- own vehicle

Awd-Tsi
07-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Looking for opinions on previous experience
1) was the pay worth it with tips vs vehicle maintenance / gas?
2) is it a dangerous job? Being robbed etc

thanks

4lti
07-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Option 2 is the least of your worries if your gonna be a pizza boy.

InRich
07-08-2010, 11:05 PM
^ lol!

Awd-Tsi
07-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Serious answers please...

topmade
07-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I hope you aren't thinking about using a awd-tsi to do this because that thing would be a hog on gas. I used my 94 civic and it was great. Never broke down and I did chinese food deliveries for a few years with it. I also did my own maintenance and I never had any unexpected broken parts, even with bagging it quite a bit. Pay was definately worth it as I was pulling in min $100 a night for an average of about 5 hours of work usually, which included a free meal :). Used about a 1/4 of a tank per day for deliveries and most of the customers were within about 3km. I think it was mainly due to it being a decent location and they were fairly busy. I did pizza before as well and it was hard to find a good location that didn't already have 10 hillbilly drivers who was always given priority on orders.

As for dangerous? What fun would it be if it wasn't haha. Other then looking out for speedtraps and jaywalkers, I love driving and enjoyed it. Some of the houses were kinda rundown and spooky looking so I had one of those rechargeable 2million candle power flashlights that I always took with me that turned night to day.

TomcoPDR
07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Depends on the vehicle, if you have a beater (IMO) it won't be too bad even if shit breaks down, and if you're generally mechanical.

If you're driving something you like, or a car that you're trying to build up, then mentally (IMO) it'll just be to heart wrenching.

There is a chance of robbery, but you can see if the shop owner would be able to agree to "storing" the money as you go through out the night. (i.e. some restaurants just wait till closing to cash out, some you can put some money into their till, some owners are assholes saying you can put your money pouch on the counter; which I'm sure you'd be concerned with the other employees... so best thing IMO, if the owner can accept like $100 at a time as you make your deliveries through out the night)

You know want I mean.

Look up a movie called: Spring Chickens#5 by Red Light District Productions... this pizza boy got a free blowjob from Trixie Kelly while delivering pizza on a set. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awd-Tsi
07-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Ya that wouldn't be a bad tip at all. Can anyone else chim in on how much you were making over how many hours? Ya I would be driving an awd tsi but it's not even bad on gas. I can get 12litre/100 km while driving very spirited

JordanAndrew
07-08-2010, 11:58 PM
You should give some of the delivery companies a call to find out more info.

here's one that I know a lot of restaurant uses.

A1 Delivery
403 543 0303

You usually get paid $5 per delivery within the area. You keep the tips so you can potentially make good money. Keep in mind that you will get cheap people who doesn't tip, but it balances out with the ones that tip well.

Like what others mentioned, use a beater that's good on gas.

derran.m
07-09-2010, 09:11 AM
K well here's my 2 cents ... I have managed and delivered for a larger franchise company, in Hgh River, Strathmore, Brooks, Airdrie, Canmore, for over 5 years now.
I have never had anyone have any SERIOUS issues with robbery - closest was one of the girls in Strathmore had her back window smashed out by some drunk idiot while she was driving, so she got away and the store covered her damages.

I personally have never had a close encounter of being jacked, closest I had was after I got into my car about 10 kids (15-17 y/o's) circled around my car ... but because I'm an asshole and they're stupid little kids I just hopped in locked the doors and slowly nudged myself out of there. They were just being ignorant I think, not trying to jack me.

Cash - we have a policy with this franchise - technically we have no more than $20 in our pockets - personal and store money. We have lock boxes in the store with a money slot on the top side of them to drop cash in throughout the night.

In regards to maintenance, gas, etc. IMO it's not that bad - I get paid hourly (6.50 + 2.00 bonus for having a sign on my car), + .50 / delivery, + 100% of tips. The only time that I have lost money in this deal is when I was driving my pickup (89 Dodge 3/4 ton w/ 403 cid v8 - gas guzzler!), otherwise I have delivered in both my old Dodge Neon's, my current Pontiac Pursuit, and my 78 Oldsmobile.

As long as you're not heavy on the throttle nad not ripping around like a riced out moron it's really no big deal - yeah you go thru a bit more gas, and add the miles onto your car, but that's about as bad as it gets. Everything else is just routine maintenance, and if you're delivering full time your pay should more than cover any expenses for possibly more frequent maintenance work.

I love driving, so this has been the perfect part time job for me. I strongly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity to do it, as long as you drive a fairly reliable non gas-guzzler.

Awd-Tsi
07-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't want to lose money or come out even.. I'm trying to make profit like mostly everyone does when working. Not sure if that's what you meant, but thanks for all the info :)

topmade
07-09-2010, 12:26 PM
How much money you make will depend on if you can find a decent place that is busy enough with not too many drivers. Don't worry about being robbed, chances are slim to none. In total I've delivered for probably 6 years and with all the companies I've been with there were never any robberies. Delivery companies are alright, but if you are new, be prepared to go from one end of the city to the other because the older drivers hoard all the good locations. Also IMO chinese food is where it's at, but again trying to find one that doesn't already have their own drivers will be difficult. Check out the chinese restaurant on 4st and 40ave N.W. I know they were looking for a driver a while ago and they are very busy but I couldn't do it because they wanted someone to start around 4pm.

max_boost
07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Ya doing food delivery is pretty fun providing you get into a good restaurant, they are organized to ensure everything is easy on you as well.

Ideally you just want to work the peak hours, 5-8pm, do about 10-15 deliveries and then get out. I know most Chinese restaurants who do a lot of take out have these kind of arrangements.

Awd-Tsi
07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ya doing food delivery is pretty fun providing you get into a good restaurant, they are organized to ensure everything is easy on you as well.

Ideally you just want to work the peak hours, 5-8pm, do about 10-15 deliveries and then get out. I know most Chinese restaurants who do a lot of take out have these kind of arrangements. Too bad your resturaunt didn't do take outs, I would be all over that

D'z Nutz
07-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Gave up on being a Network technition (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/306300/network-technition/)?

Awd-Tsi
07-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Ya I got a job doing this. Nice starting the 1st shift with a 50 buck tip