PDA

View Full Version : Driving a parked car without insurance

yipb
07-08-2010, 10:56 PM
So I have a car that has been parked for almost half a year, it is registered and all, but there is no insurance on it. I am wondering if I can take the plate off my other car that is registered and insured and put it on my parked car and drive it around.
If anyone knows anything about this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kloubek
07-08-2010, 10:57 PM
No.

Disoblige
07-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
No.

GoChris
07-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Plates aren't insured, cars are.

yipb
07-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
Plates aren't insured, cars are.
oh right totally forgot about that.
but in that case, can i also bring over the insurance slip with the registration of the insured vehicle and the plate and swap them onto the parked car?

Rarasaurus
07-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Insurance slip is for car A. You do not have insurance on car B. Get insurance on car B if u want to drive it.

If you have bill of sale you can drive with Car A's plate and registration for 2 weeks.

JordanAndrew
07-08-2010, 11:38 PM
The answer is still no unless you call up your insurance and transfer over your current insurance to the car you want to drive.

avow
07-08-2010, 11:58 PM
guy i know got a no insurance ticket (huge huge ticket) and suspension for doing this exact same thing. I wouldn't risk it.

Jetta-2.0
07-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Rarasaurus
Insurance slip is for car A. You do not have insurance on car B. Get insurance on car B if u want to drive it.

If you have bill of sale you can drive with Car A's plate and registration for 2 weeks.

Sil80_D
07-09-2010, 12:29 AM
just call your insurance company and insure the vehicle...... doesn't sound like you manage your own account though..........

derpderp
07-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Isn't the fine for driving without insurance like $1000s of dollars? and worse if you crash all damages are on you. It isn't worth it at all if you ask me, you'll be real sore if something goes wrong.

ShermanEF9
07-09-2010, 01:01 AM
remember its not your driving you need to worry about, its everyone elses.

if someone rear ends you, and you dont have insurance.... you're paying for all of it...

alloroc
07-09-2010, 07:23 AM
:rofl:

"Driving parked car"

Sorry when reading that part of the title all I could think of was this video ...

ScI7p5g3VVE

Masked Bandit
07-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by derpderp
Isn't the fine for driving without insurance like $1000s of dollars? and worse if you crash all damages are on you. It isn't worth it at all if you ask me, you'll be real sore if something goes wrong.

I think the fine is currently $2800.

The only situation that you can put a plate from one vehicle to another is when you are buying a new / different car (newly acquired). There are a bunch of rules & conditions that need to be met for it to work but in the OP's situation, no dice!

Neil4Speed
07-09-2010, 07:26 AM
No, Dude, just call up your insurance and ask them to insure you for a day, its pro rated and would cost you a nominal price.

thepyrofish
07-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I think the fine is currently $2800.

The only situation that you can put a plate from one vehicle to another is when you are buying a new / different car (newly acquired). There are a bunch of rules & conditions that need to be met for it to work but in the OP's situation, no dice!

The fine is $2500 plus a $350 service charges/admin fee/whatever it's called, so $2850 total. The first time. Definitely not worth it.

If you have more than one car it helps to have them all listed on your policy and just suspend the one(s) your not driving at the time. Then it's just a quick phone call to switch vehicles (this advice was more for the OP, I realize you would already know how this works ;) )

CK4500
07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
The only way to legally use a plate off another vehicle is this:

You sell Vehicle A and it has valid plates.

You buy vehicle B. Plate from vehicle A can be used legally on newly aquired vehicle B for 14 days. (MUST HAVE ALL DOCUMENTATION and Valid Insurance on Vehicle B)

This is the only way.

If you still own vehicle A and use it's plates, you will will be charged with Operate unregistered MV. You can also be towed.

Current fine for no insurance is $2875. You won't see this number until you show up in court. All you get at the side of the road (as your vehicle is being towed away) is a Pink "Violation Ticket" with the "court appearance required" box checked off. This is a summons. Failure to attend will result in a bench warrant. Second offence comes with a much bigger fine!!

johnboy27
07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by CK4500
The only way to legally use a plate off another vehicle is this:

You sell Vehicle A and it has valid plates.

You buy vehicle B. Plate from vehicle A can be used legally on newly aquired vehicle B for 14 days. (MUST HAVE ALL DOCUMENTATION and Valid Insurance on Vehicle B)

This is the only way.

If you still own vehicle A and use it's plates, you will will be charged with Operate unregistered MV. You can also be towed.

Current fine for no insurance is $2875. You won't see this number until you show up in court. All you get at the side of the road (as your vehicle is being towed away) is a Pink "Violation Ticket" with the "court appearance required" box checked off. This is a summons. Failure to attend will result in a bench warrant. Second offence comes with a much bigger fine!!
Vehicle A's insurance card can also be used with it's plate for the 14 days as well. You need the registration card from vehicle A, insurance card rom vehicle A and the sales receipt for vehicle B. At least this is how it was last year when I bought my last car.

Also, you can still own vehicle A but the cop will make you come in and show him that you have switched the registration and insurance within the 14 day period or he will ticket you.

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by derpderp

i got pulled over coming out of barlow and 61st a year and a half ago or so with my Crx,the cop had mis-read my insurance slip and impounded my car right their.and then slapped me with a ticket for $3500.00 for driving without insurance.total crap,and plus they held my car in impound for 15 days.

Luckely i know most of the judges and crown's at the court so i got off with the ticket,and then the CPS re-inburst me for the out ragous impound fee.

you're best bet.just insure it and save ALOT of hassel and problems.

kvg
07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
if something were to happen your insurance company would tell you your on your own. but if you call them they could switch it over temporarly.

Dilmah
07-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Good on you for asking the question before you did it, usually people ask for help after they get a ticket...:thumbsup:

yipb
07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
yaya, after reading the first couple no's i decided to completely forget about the idea.

at first i was wondering about the 14day thing too, like buying/selling vehicle and if the "concept" would work.

anyhow i've went to insurance yesterday and got everything fixed so no need to worry about it.

thanks beyond!