PDA

View Full Version : Question about buying first car

aznremixed94
07-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Hey i just wanted a little advice on buying my first car, as well as a few questions.

I'm 16 and ill be getting my first car through a private deal, i would like to know what is needed. I know a Bill of Sale is needed but what else?

Would there be a license plate on it for me to drive it home before i can get my own license plate? What are the steps from getting the car, to registering it.

Thanks.

derpderp
07-09-2010, 08:29 AM
I had trouble with this one my first car too. You have to get insurance to register it, you have to buy it to insure it but if you can't register it tell you get insurance and buy it what do you do? Leave it at the sellers house? I ended up just paying to get it towed home and dealt with it from there.

aznremixed94
07-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah i thought about that too, but i want to know if theres any other way to go without the towing process, hopefully someone can shed some light.

jacky4566
07-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Some insurance companies will allow a grace period (TD meloux monix offered me 48hr) to submit the bill o sale. so if your 100% on this car then get the vin and get some temp insurance.
then you go to the dmv get your plate. show up at his house pay the man and drive away happy.

aznremixed94
07-09-2010, 09:32 PM
And in order to do this, i would also need the consent of a guardian correct?

FiveFreshFish
07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Alternative is to have the owner drive it to your place and complete the deal there. You can get insurance and registration at your own pace once it's in your garage.

Edit: Here's the bill of sale you can fill in on your computer and print out. Saves a lot of handwriting.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/BillOfSaleReg3126.pdf

dannie
07-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by aznremixed94
And in order to do this, i would also need the consent of a guardian correct?

Yes. Under the age of 18, one of your parents has to sign off on your registration.

Goodfella
07-10-2010, 02:00 AM
The old trailblaze technique will do, get a buddy to follow you about a car length behind till you get to your place.

aznremixed94
07-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Goodfella
The old trailblaze technique will do, get a buddy to follow you about a car length behind till you get to your place.

Could you explain how this works a bit more?

and any other suggestions?

Thanks guys.

ExtraSlow
07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Have the seller drive it to your house, assuming you live within about half an hour of his place. Park it off the street, then handle the insurance and registration afterwards.

Or, if you are sure you are buying it, get the insurance over the phone/fax/email beforehand, pay for it, get driven by a buddy to the registry, get places, and go back and pick up your new car.
either works, and keeps you legal.

FiveFreshFish
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by aznremixed94

and any other suggestions?

Tow it to your house. The car is covered under the tow truck's insurance.

cream
07-13-2010, 07:08 PM
also with td meloche monnex. although there's a grace period, i slapped on my minivan's license plate and drove it home. after i got home, took it off and got my own plate a couple days later.

aznremixed94
09-25-2010, 05:28 PM
If i have my own insurance, am i able to register it at the DMV under my own name?
I heard that i am able to acquire my own insurance and register it under my own name, but my guardian does have to legal right to pull me out of it at any time.

Is this true?

master hec0
09-25-2010, 06:09 PM
call who ever you are going to insure with get temporary insurance and get a in transit permit from registry. basically the permit replaces a license plate for 48hrs as temporary registration. i will be picking up a "new" used vehicle in the next week and that's how im getting it home.