PDA

View Full Version : Lost a serious amount of braking power

Fluidic
09-03-2002, 01:21 AM
Ever since the track day... where I had to make quite a few "extremely hard" emergency stops... I have noticed a severe decrease in my braking power... also it appears that my brake pedal requires more "push" then it did previously.

I'm not asking what this means or anything goofy like that... simply... did I REALLY eat up most of my brakes from just ONE track day??? :nut: :eek:

Thanks for the help! :)

Peter

T5_X
09-03-2002, 01:27 AM
almost sounds like you went through a brake pad real quick. More worn brake pads means that the pads have to move further, so you have to depress the pedal further. Otherwise, maybe check your brake lines. If they leak and get air in them, the pedal will move further cause you can compress the air, making a spongy feel.

Still unlikely though as its a new car, maybe its something else :dunno:

Fluidic
09-03-2002, 01:37 AM
Don't get me wrong... I can still stop... and stop fast at that right now... it just requires more pedal movement is all... guess I have to pay too play! :D

Peter

speedracer
09-03-2002, 08:50 AM
Bleed your brakes. The heat created from braking can trap air in the line (corner 1).
Nothing is wrong with the car. Even my brakes are a "little" spongy with quite a few 187kmh runs.

Fluidic
09-03-2002, 10:27 AM
Awww shit.... air.... damnit... :banghead: :madred:

Peter

Ben
09-03-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Awww shit.... air.... damnit... :banghead: :madred:

Peter

I think speedracer has that one pegged although with your slotted brakes on those factory pads...I would have a look at those too...

Make sure when you bleed your brakes you get some brake fluid on your car, it polishes it really well...:thumbsup:

T-rus
09-03-2002, 01:03 PM
Get your brakes inspected and also get a complete brake flush and have a higher temp brake fluid put in. Also check your rotors for any discoloration which means they might have been over heated and may have glazed your pads and rotors which will make your stopping distance longer.

Gadgetboy
09-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Ever since the track day... where I had to make quite a few "extremely hard" emergency stops... I have noticed a severe decrease in my braking power... also it appears that my brake pedal requires more "push" then it did previously.

I'm not asking what this means or anything goofy like that... simply... did I REALLY eat up most of my brakes from just ONE track day??? :nut: :eek:

Thanks for the help! :)

Peter
its called brake wear what 'chew trippin foo' ??

4wheeldrift
09-04-2002, 06:57 AM
His pads were wearing quite well though, its easy to tell when the pads are brand freakin' new. Just bleed your brakes. Maybe think of replacing the fluid that's in there with Ford Heavy Duty, its a DOT3 brake fluid with the boiling point of a DOT5.

OMOYYC
09-04-2002, 09:21 AM
After both track days of hard braking, I didn't notice anything on my car's stock brakes. I doubt you can wear the pads that quickly.

Redlyne_mr2
09-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Don't get me wrong... I can still stop... and stop fast at that right now... it just requires more pedal movement is all... guess I have to pay too play! :D

Peter
7 letters for ya buddy... w a r a n t y

Ben
09-04-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

for those who went to school and can spell:

W - a - r - r - a - n - t - y

cocoabrova
09-04-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Benny

W - a - r - r - a - n - t - y :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It's worth a try, but I highly doubt they'll warranty them if they can tell that he's been doing abit of high-speed braking :dunno:

Fluidic
09-04-2002, 05:36 PM
I will just tell them I have been driving down Deerfoot... not speeding ( :confused: ) and braking really fast! LOL

Peter

Ben
09-04-2002, 07:38 PM
I will just tell them I have been driving down Deerfoot... not speeding ( :confused: ) braking really fast! LOL

Peter

Forwards Url to Fifth Ave...:D

Fluidic
09-04-2002, 09:55 PM
You wouldn't!! LOL :confused: :angel:

Peter

2000impreza
09-04-2002, 10:13 PM
FD you can always delete this thread....:devil:

Fluidic
09-05-2002, 12:29 AM
LOL -- Benny's just kidding around... :)

The Raptor
09-05-2002, 03:05 PM
How do you bleed your brakes lines?

Ben
09-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Very Carefully...

GT2NV
09-05-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: haha good times benny

Redlyne_mr2
09-05-2002, 05:56 PM

W - a - r - r - a - n - t - y
shit thanks for bringing out the dictionary on that one Benny

Ben
09-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Well I wouldn't have cared, but when the word ISN"T 7 letters, ahahaha, I had to make you look like a dumbshit! ahahaha:thumbsup: :rofl: :guns: :D

Redlyne_mr2
09-06-2002, 06:50 AM
Well I wouldn't have cared, but when the word ISN"T 7 letters, ahahaha, I had to make you look like a dumbshit! ahahaha:thumbsup: :rofl: :guns: :D
I wouldnt have expected anything less from you:rofl: :thumbsup: :rofl:

4wheeldrift
09-06-2002, 06:56 AM
Peter, check this URL for some instructions on how to bleed brakes. That page is for a subaru specifically, but the process on a VW is exactly the same (those instructions are not brand specific)

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=182

ninspeed
09-09-2002, 11:07 PM
did you check that the fluid resvior is full???? i know that when my fluid level gets low, brakes are not as great

Fluidic
09-10-2002, 01:22 AM
Well it appears my brakes are somewhat back to normal. After putting on 300km or so after this event I guess the air or whatever it was just kinda disappeared! :confused: :)

I was very worried at first, but now, they are back to normal, minus all the wear and tear on the pads and rotors, so it’s all good!! :p ;)

Peter

Ben
09-10-2002, 08:07 AM
Glazed...

Whew, thats good, I'll have to call Leo up and tell him that the brake thing was just a joke.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fluidic
09-10-2002, 11:23 AM
LOL -- he would seriously void my warranty too... LOL :p :rofl: