PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Suggestions for a good Injury Accident Lawyer

911sc
07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
My buddy was injured fairly badly when a girl who was too busy texting rear ended him traveling at about 70 kph. Anyways I am trying to find him a good accident or injury lawyer.

Can people please suggest who they have used and their experience in the past.

Mskye
07-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Burnet, duckworth & palmer. They are one of the best in Calgary.

broken_legs
07-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I thought whiplash claims were capped at 10k now? Curious what the point of getting a lawyer is if thats the case.

Kloubek
07-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Really? I know they tried capping them at 4k several years ago, then they removed the cap, but that was the last I heard.

GoChris
07-09-2010, 03:25 PM
But can't you still sue the person? Isn't the cap just for insurance claim or something?

Str1der
07-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 911sc
My buddy was injured fairly badly...

Originally posted by broken_legs
I thought whiplash claims were capped at 10k now? Curious what the point of getting a lawyer is if thats the case.

Sorry, but where did you see whiplash in the original post?

JustGo
07-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I would have assumed whiplash as well.

Then again I can only assume he was assuming.

Well, you know what they say about that.

benz_890
07-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Soft tissue injuries (whiplash) are capped @ $4504

Meback
07-09-2010, 04:58 PM
lol, i think i know the girl that was involved. Her initials M.L?

Weapon_R
07-09-2010, 08:17 PM
All soft tissue injuries are capped at $4500 right now, plus loss of income and other incidental costs. These include WAD I and WADII whiplash, which is the most common type of injury in a motor vehicle accident.

If this is just a whiplash case, likely no lawyer in town will take it on. The costs of the disbursements alone can be greater than the recovery for pain and suffering. If the injuries are more severe, it probably won't fall within the cap but it really depends on the type of injury.

Majestic12
07-09-2010, 09:12 PM
A lot of the time, income loss claims far far outweigh the pain and suffering damages. This is generally the case in severe, life-changing injuries.

Don't know if this is the case here... no idea what you mean by "injured very badly".

Either way, good chance if you contact a plaintiff personal injury lawyer they will work on contingency fee, which means they take a percentage of what you win.

Upside to that is that you don't pay a cent out of your own pocket.

Downside is that they take usually about 30% of whatever you win.

I work for a plaintiff PI lawyer, so yeah.

And I will be one in about six months.

:D :D

broken_legs
07-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Str1der

Sorry...

Apology accepted. :)

Just going out on a limb that 99.99999% of rear end accidents are people claiming neck and back pain.

dandia89
07-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Meback
lol, i think i know the girl that was involved. Her initials M.L?
tell her to never drive again

ReasonOne
07-10-2010, 10:56 AM
We don't know the extent of injury to 911sc's friend so we can't speculate. I was in an accident last March and my attorney works very hard for me. I was referred to him by a friend who used him and won her case. Her father and uncle also used him for representation and he managed to win both of their cases.

Look up David Yanko & Associates. If you need more info PM me. He works on a contingency basis, so he only gets paid if you win.

Yes there is a cap. It was removed, but that ruling was overturned not long afterwards. The hard part is a lot of serious injuries from collisions tend to fall into the WAD II/WAD III cusp, so there is a lot of pressure to bump it up for a huge settlement or knock it down to pay a measly $4500 max.

Basically the big deciding factor is: How severe are the injuries to the head, neck and back? If there are few problems in this area it will probably get pushed down to a WAD II. If there are major problems in this region, then it will be classified as a WAD III.

Best of luck to your friend. I've been there and I am still in the process.