PDA

View Full Version : LF: 2.2L Ecotec head

derran.m
07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
So my head has bit the bullet. Inquiring where I would be able to find a new or close to new one? Would an older model 2.2 head fit, or do I have to stick with an ecotec head?

Rat Fink
07-10-2010, 05:00 PM

MGCM
07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by derran.m
So my head has bit the bullet. Inquiring where I would be able to find a new or close to new one? Would an older model 2.2 head fit, or do I have to stick with an ecotec head?

you will want to stick with the same 2.2 05-07 ecotec head, i'm positive that downgrading to an older cavalier/sunfire 2.2 head would be a bad idea.

Anything past 08 might be slightly different, that's when GM started changing a bunch of little things to squeeze more MPG out of that engine.

derran.m
07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Well after spending much of saturday googling and pissing around with idiots on Cobalt Forums ... would you believe some moron from Delaware is trying to sell me a head with a chunk missing out of it? "Will ship with the missing chunk so you can try to fix it"
LMAO

Anyways, once I finally found the proper Haynes manual to get the timing chain specs, we got the engine all ripped apart, and at this point it looks like it's just the stupid 2-piece head gasket that is fawked, and not the head. No visible cracks YET in the head. Apparently my mother-in-law knows of some spray-on solution that will expose any cracks present. New single piece head gasket coming in tomorrow, so hopefully by tomorrow evening we'll have it close to being back on the road, unless she finds a crack in the head... fingers crossed.

MGCM
07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
yea.........the cobalt forum is fucked up, in the beginning it was good, but it went to shit very quickly. The forum you want to be on is "lnfperformance.com" even tho it's for the 2008-2010 Turbo Engine, the ppl on there know what they are talking about and don't fuck you around. It's a small forum and we even have the pleasure of a GM Engineer posting on the forum. If your engine is fucked and you wanted a project, $3000 and you can drop the Turbo Cobalt Motor into your base model, PM if your interested:thumbsup:

derran.m
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
yea.........the cobalt forum is fucked up, in the beginning it was good, but it went to shit very quickly. The forum you want to be on is "lnfperformance.com" even tho it's for the 2008-2010 Turbo Engine, the ppl on there know what they are talking about and don't fuck you around. It's a small forum and we even have the pleasure of a GM Engineer posting on the forum. If your engine is fucked and you wanted a project, $3000 and you can drop the Turbo Cobalt Motor into your base model, PM if your interested:thumbsup:

Sadly I was hoping my engine was fucked so I could do that :love: Woulda made my car a one of a kind ... 4 door Pursuit with the 2.0T :clap:
That will be the next project ... and when that time comes I know who I will be talking to :thumbsup: