PDA

View Full Version : It's been 15 years since... (anime)

Vagabond142
07-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow... just looking back at all the animes that actually got me into anime... and it just dawned on me that one of the greatest of all time was released in movie form next month, 15 years ago. Not that I'm dating myself at all, tho ;)

For those of us that have been fans for a long time... should really know this mini-series and movie well...

wi7Q0vK0Nw8

And if you consider yourself a fan of anime in current times, seriously, go find the OVA of this and watch it. It's one of the last animes completely hand drawn (there are a few VR bits that are CGI tho, but the artwork that was done for the CG bits was done by hand with a stylus vs building from wireframes), and it also has one of *THE* singlemost best sci-fi stories of ANY medium.

It's also been 15 years since other groundbreakers, like Ghost in the Shell...

Man, I really DO feel old!

BigMass
07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
i grew up around the time movies like Akira and Grave of the Fireflies just game out. Then we had Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell etc. That definately got me going past my teens as the subject matter became more mature. Back in the late 80s it was a rare concept to create an animated movie with adult subject matter.

Vagabond142
07-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Oh man, Grave of the Fireflies. That movie, when I was a teen, made me sad to be human at times. If anyone EVER needs an extremely well made, hard hitting emotional movie, watch Grave of the Fireflies. Makes me tear up to this day watching "the scene." (I don't wanna spoil it, but I know BigMass knows what I mean)

BigMass
07-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Moving thing along. I haven’t kept up much, but one of the more enjoyable and unique Anime I have seen recently is Gankutsuo. It’s a futuristic interpretation of the Count of Monte Cristo story. Even though it takes place in the future, it’s actually one of the more faithful adaptations of the book and the artistic style was mesmerizing. Very good watch.

http://images.absoluteanime.com/gankutsuou/index.jpg

zipdoa
07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Cowboy Bebop.

'nuff said.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/32086/628961-spikespiegelm01vh2_super.jpg

Inzane
07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Wow... just looking back at all the animes that actually got me into anime... and it just dawned on me that one of the greatest of all time was released in movie form next month, 15 years ago. Not that I'm dating myself at all, tho ;)

For those of us that have been fans for a long time... should really know this mini-series and movie well...

wi7Q0vK0Nw8

And if you consider yourself a fan of anime in current times, seriously, go find the OVA of this and watch it. It's one of the last animes completely hand drawn (there are a few VR bits that are CGI tho, but the artwork that was done for the CG bits was done by hand with a stylus vs building from wireframes), and it also has one of *THE* singlemost best sci-fi stories of ANY medium.

It's also been 15 years since other groundbreakers, like Ghost in the Shell...

Man, I really DO feel old!

I'm confused. Are you suggesting Macross is 15 years old? Its more like ~25 years old isn't it? :dunno: *edit* or is "Macross Plus" something newer... a sequel?

broken_legs
07-09-2010, 11:59 PM
This reminds me of Robotech.

I tried watching Robotech at work to kill the time a year ago... The story is so unbelievable I couldnt finish more than 6 episodes. LOL. Not sure what the hell I was thinking when I was 8. haha

eglove
07-10-2010, 12:37 AM
robotech, x, cowboy bebop, GITS, GOTF, love hina (lol) akira, all up there in my faves of all time

Disoblige
07-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Ghost in the Shell ftw.. Not that old but I enjoyed Witch Hunter Robin too. Short but good.

mathi
07-10-2010, 02:09 AM
It is a nice information!!!!

mucat
07-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Anyone knows where I can find episodes of this?
FSBBLc5jfc4

modern rock version
EZBYTSCDON0

This is just full of awesomeness

yellowsnow
07-10-2010, 03:14 AM
Haha I remember Macross Plus, it was my first anime I watched too. Late night teletoon channel! :D

I also enjoyed:

Berserk
Claymore
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Death Note
One Piece
Cowboy Bebop
Rurouni Kenshin OVA (the prequel to the tv series)
Initial D
Everything by Hayao Miyazaki

... can't remember any other ones right now

Vagabond142
07-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

I'm confused. Are you suggesting Macross is 15 years old? Its more like ~25 years old isn't it? :dunno: *edit* or is "Macross Plus" something newer... a sequel?

Macross was early-to-mid 80's. Macross II (barf) was late 80s. Macross Plus was release in OVA in 1994, and the movie was released on August 27, 1995, 15 years ago.

Macross 7 happened at the same time (1994ish) but was so godawful that no one actually counts it as a real macross.

Then there was the very deep and serious Macross Zero in the early 2000's, and the latest (last year) was Macross Frontier, which was kinda... weird...

That about sums up Macross :P

lilmira
07-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Yattaman is awesome. They made a live action movie recently. How about this?

OLiku1IcPnM

I'm feeling old now. I should dig up my Dr. Slump comics for some good old weird japanese humour.

Inzane
07-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs
This reminds me of Robotech.

Macross is Robotech.

Vagabond142
07-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

Macross is Robotech.

More correctly, Robotech is a horrible bastardization by Harmony Gold of Macross. Watch Macross (in the original japanese) and then watch the Americanized fuckover called "Robotech." And you'll see why those that actually ENJOY anime watch the japanese version XD

Xtrema
07-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

More correctly, Robotech is a horrible bastardization by Harmony Gold of Macross. Watch Macross (in the original japanese) and then watch the Americanized fuckover called "Robotech." And you'll see why those that actually ENJOY anime watch the japanese version XD

QFT.