PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Calgary to Shreveport, LA

nismodrifter
07-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Has anyone on here driven from Calgary to Louisiana?
I know alot of people have brought cars up from Texas so it looks like the route would be quite similar. Looks like I could head through Dallas first and then drive a couple hours to Shreveport.

Can anyone provide any input regarding quality of the roads, how long the drive took and how you broke it up into segments, any specific shortcuts that avoid traffic, anything else that I should avoid/be aware of.

Any information/tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

C_Dave45
07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
That looks like it would be a fun drive. Probably a bunch of different ways. Sorry, have no advice for ya though, I've never been further south than Montana.

Few different routes (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Calgary+to+Shreveport&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hl=en&z=4&saddr=Calgary&daddr=Shreveport&geocode=FYjiCgMd-p8z-SnVP4SfA3BxUzE6tlK2sTttJg%3BFWBL8AEdXXxp-ikf6ZgXjSoxhjHdnKSHFiy9Lg)

Babaganoosh
07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Not really sure what kinda timeline youve got but if its not too tight youd get a lot better scenery going south through idaho utah arizona and swinging east from there than straight through montana wyoming colorado. Still nice, but too much like AB to stay interesting for that long.

If youve gotta make time the interstates bust ass, especially in texas, traffic moves at 140k the whole time (AZ and NM are pretty open too). You could do it in a couple days if you need to, but if youve got a while the secondary or state highways or whatever tend to have about about a tenth the traffic, and dont hit as many of the big sprawling cities. Never had any problems with roads anywhere in the states really, theyve got a great system.