PDA

View Full Version : CADD people, I need your help

nickyh
07-12-2010, 10:59 AM
(mods - feel free to move to campus chat if need be).

I know someone who will be taking the 5 week accelerated CADD Operator certificate Level 1 at SAIT that starts in a few weeks.

To the CADD people out there, do companies care about whether it's a Certificate only VS. a diploma? What qualifications did you need for an entry level drafting position?

What might the starting salary be once he's graduated and is working?

Lex350
07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
When I hired people, I didn't really care what certificate they had because I gave them a cadd test before hiring anybody.

Ntense_SpecV
07-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
(mods - feel free to move to campus chat if need be).

I know someone who will be taking the 5 week accelerated CADD Operator certificate Level 1 at SAIT that starts in a few weeks.

To the CADD people out there, do companies care about whether it's a Certificate only VS. a diploma? What qualifications did you need for an entry level drafting position?

What might the starting salary be once he's graduated and is working?

For a starting salary it really depends on what field he's going into. For something like commercial architecture I started in 2001 at a whopping 2300/mth gross - and I had a diploma. You can probably get more these days but just starting out, don't expect much.

nickyh
07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I've suggested taking some surveying / mapping as well as residental drafting.

While O&G is slowly recovering, it would be smarter to try and be a little more versatile to get that foot in the door - anywhere.

Sugarphreak
07-12-2010, 12:19 PM