PDA

View Full Version : Tell your Buy and Flip stories thread!

Shlade
07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Share your stories about what you did, how you made money on a car!

Ill start. Bought a 96 mustang GT, Had misifiring issues, Parasitic (dont know how to spell it) battery drains, and some other tiny issues!

Did some basic maintenance to the car and fixed it all up and sold it for $3000.

What have you guys done, Are you still buying cars and flipping them for a bigger price or just enough to make a tiny bit of pocket change on and move on to the next thing?

masoncgy
07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I once bought a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for $6,000 ... and turned around and sold it for $9,000 about two weeks later.

This was a few years ago, when GTPs were fetching $9K-$10K+ for that particular car.

Quickest $3G I ever made. Nothing wrong with the car either, was in good shape in and out and run/drove awesome.

Scope951
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
bought a 240sx for 1600. Sold it to Jeremy Mani for 2500 with no power steering LOL

Kloubek
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Bought a TT a few months ago for $11,000. Put $500 into it.

Sold it for $15000 a month later.

Gibson
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Scope951
bought a 240sx for 1600. Sold it to Jeremy Mani for 2500 with no power steering LOL

Do you have any pictures of this 240?

ringmaster
07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Bought a busted ass Del Sol a few years back for $2,200. I lowered it, did some maintenance and a few cosmetic things (new window trim, etc..) and sold it for $5,700.

Heres the funny thing, the kid that bought it from me didn't have all the money. Since I had garage space and time, I held the car all summer for him while he made deposits into my bank account. When he came to pick it up (he lived in a different city), I get a call while Im working saying he is at the greyhound station and that he is ready to take posession of the car.

ME: Umm.. what? who is this?
BUDDY: Its Buddy! Im at the greyhound station, Im ready to pick up the car!

ME: Ok great, come and get it.
BUDDY: Um can you pick me up?

ME: LOL
BUDDY: .....
ME: No.

So he eventually gets to my work, where I have the car waiting. I ask him for the remaining $375 he owes me which he assured me he would have in cash when it was time to meet up.
He simply produces a white card that says "Credit Union" on it and has a nuimber, no description of which credit union or address. He tried to get me to take him there so he could get the rest of the money.

After staring at this kid who just took like a hundred dollar cab ride to my work, holding a ratty peice of paper looking like a useless moron, I said forget the rest of the money, just leave now.

After about a week, I get a call from this guy's dad who proceeds to tell me that the car is a POS and that I ripped his kid off.

DEADBEAT DAD: You were charging WAAY to much for that car, my son got ripped off. Where do you get off?
ME: Where were you when your son was corresponding with a complete stranger all summer, depositing money into his bank acocunt?

DEADBEAT DAD: Oh well.. Don't get smart, this isn't about that.
ME: What?
DEADBEAT DAD: Whats your last name?
ME: Look on your son's bill of sale.
DEADBEAT DAD: He doesn't have that.

ME: Lol.
Whats your last name?
DEADBEAT DAD: (at the top of his lungs) This isn't about me!! this is between you and my son!!
ME: So why didn't your son call me?
DEADBEAT DAD: .... Click...

That was the worst experience but also the funniest I've ever had selling a used car... and the most pathetic.

Kloubek
07-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Note to self: Don't buy a car from Ringmaster. :)

gyu
07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
^QFT :rofl:

ringmaster
07-12-2010, 01:59 PM
LOL this doesn't bode well for my current offering:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=307235

No one has even seen this car yet. Anyone is welcome to have it inspected or take it for a drive. Im sure that the first person to drive it will buy. [/shameless plug]

maxomilll
07-12-2010, 01:59 PM
haha^^
bought a $800 chevy 1500 fixed the front end, basic alinement and such sold for $2000

911fever
07-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Bought a 98 Honda Prelude in 2008 for 4500. Sold it for $8500 after dumping $1300 into it about 3 months later. Tons of other stories too.

n1zm0
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
bought a 91 teg for winter off a beyond member here for 1500, bought 2 walmart nexen winter tires to replace the worn out bad pair, did my own oil changes, new front pads and rotors and a BMC + line flush, DIY fuel pump cut switch and an autostarter for the cold winter mornings which was awesome! the crazy thing about this car is that it did not burn oil AT ALL @ 324k kms :nut: drove this thing for 2 winters and one summer (sooo embaressing)

sold it to some fobs as-is for $2k.

omfgcurtis
07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Shlade - how much did you initially get the mustang for?

I have done the same with a few civics when buying them with blown HG's for dirt cheap and selling them for $1500~ profit.

Anyone flip auto parts you get from pnp or such?
I got a free td05h from work off a customers car who upgraded, sold it on kijiji the following weekend for $150

Also grabbed a t3 turbo off a saab at the pnp for $54 and sold it on ebay for $240

EvolizePhoto
07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
got a 87 200sx for 1 dollar. painted it in the back alley and traded for a 90 240sx automatic with rims and exhaust and rust holes in the frame. the guy who gave me that 240 didn't tell me it needed opi. Shady bastard. i got it inspected anyway by some brown guys in foothills industrial :D

sold the 240 to a guy named Iltae with broken english for $2400. That's my best flip

Shlade
07-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by omfgcurtis
Shlade - how much did you initially get the mustang for?

I have done the same with a few civics when buying them with blown HG's for dirt cheap and selling them for $1500~ profit.

Anyone flip auto parts you get from pnp or such?
I got a free td05h from work off a customers car who upgraded, sold it on kijiji the following weekend for $150

Also grabbed a t3 turbo off a saab at the pnp for $54 and sold it on ebay for $240

Bought the Mustang for $1500 cash! Sold like 4 months later.. I did buy it in december so I did park it under a tarp, Around April I started working on it and fixing it, Put it online and sold about a week later!

dezmarez
07-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Not my story,
but my brothers...

He was working as one of those markerters who handed out shampoo outside walmarts etc. had boat loads of shampoo...

a guy he knew had an old benz sitting at home, said it didnt work at all... it would start but he couldnt get it into gear...

my brother offered him a box of shampoo samples for the car,
had the car towed to our house...

brother realized the benz had the parking brake on...
took it off, car worked fine..

sold it on ebay for $4500 a month later haha

Rat Fink
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM

johnboy27
07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
I bought a 19901 civic Si with a dohc zc in it and Tokico illumina adjustable struts with matching lowering springs on them for 850 bucks because it had an overheating problem. Seen the exact problem a few times in the past so I headed home with it and put a head gasket in it and a new over axle pipe and muffler on it and patched a hole in the rocker panel.
Drove it as a winter beater for a couple months and then put it up on Kijiji for 1800, sold in 3 days for my asking price. Kinda thinking I should have asked more.

Awd-Tsi
07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by johnboy27
I bought a 19901 civic Si with a dohc zc in it and Tokico illumina adjustable struts with matching lowering springs on them for 850 bucks because it had an overheating problem. Seen the exact problem a few times in the past so I headed home with it and put a head gasket in it and a new over axle pipe and muffler on it and patched a hole in the rocker panel.
Drove it as a winter beater for a couple months and then put it up on Kijiji for 1800, sold in 3 days for my asking price. Kinda thinking I should have asked more. back to the future?

cjay^
07-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Started with:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/297691/fs-93-red-honda-civid-vx/

Result:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/300949/fs-1993-honda-civic-vx-hatchback-1600obo/

Cleared $1000 ($350 for the car, $250 on parts, sold for $1600)

complete with angry loser posting in my thread when I sold the car. hes just mad I was the one that got to flip it and not him.

Nissan_Fanboy
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
bought a 91 civic for 500, sold it for 1700 ?
dece

jdmXSI
07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
In December 2008 I bought a 99' impreza RS with 66,000kms for $5500. Drove it for the winter and traded it in at SoC for $9500...:D. In hind sigh, I miss that car and it saddens me everytime I see a GC8...

ReasonOne
07-19-2010, 08:54 AM
I remember when I was in my first year of college I drove out to Banff National Park with a buddy to meet up with some ladies. On our drive back we noticed a red '72 Maverick sitting on the shoulder of the highway with the driver's door left open. We thought nothing of it and continued another 5 miles. It was then we caught up with the rather angry owner of said Maverick; desperately trying to hitch a ride.

He told us if we gave him a ride to Calgary we could have the Ford for our trouble. We jumped at the chance. He griped on and on about how much of a piece of junk it was and how it just died on him and wouldn't start. We questioned him about spark, ignition, distributors, starters alternators and carbs... but it was clear he wasn't mechanically inclined. We dropped him off and he signed over the title to the car. We turned around and returned to the car.

There was nothing special about it. It was a 6 banger with an automatic transmission and an AM radio and a red scotch plaid interior. No options. The body was straight and had never been hit. There was no glass damage. The odometer read about 44,000 miles but who knows how many times it had turned over? But who cared. It was free. After a few minutes of fiddling it became obvious that it had run out of gas. The fuel gauge was broken and read 1/3 full all the time. We put some gas in it and it fired up right away. My friend drove it back and I followed him all the way to his house. We get it in the garage and look it over.

The brakes, tires, shocks and battery were all brand new. The spare and the jack had never been used. We checked the oil and it was as clean as a whistle. The sparkplugs were recently changed. We looked on the title for the address of the guy, looked him up in the phone book and called him up. Before we even had a chance to tell him what was wrong he cuts us off by yelling "Now that hunk of junk Ford is YOUR problem! Thanks for the ride, but DON'T EVER CALL ME AGAIN!!!" and hung up.

We were "stuck" with it. Fine.

We kept it for about 4 weeks in the backyard of my friend's house while trying to decide what to do with it. One day we head over to his house after classes and my friend's father is standing on the driveway waving us down.

"There's a guy who saw that Ford of yours sitting in the back yard. He wants to buy it from you boys. You paid nothing for it. GET IT OUT OF THE YARD! He's waiting back there now."

We talk to the interested buyer and he says his dad used to have one new. He asks to take it for a drive and we toss him the keys. When he pulls out of the backyard we didn't even think about going with him. "What if he never comes back?" I asked. "Oh well, so we lost a car we got for free." my friend responded. We wait an hour and presume the car is long gone and we go inside to study. About 3 hours later the Maverick pulls up in the backyard. Seems he took it for a long test drive and had a safety inspection performed on the car. He even had the gas gauge fixed in the process.

What did we get for it? We just asked him what he thought was fair for the car and we would leave it at that.

"How about $1500?"

It took everything in us not to blurt out in boisterous disbelief. He gave us each $750 and promptly drove away with the car.

You don't get deals like that anymore.

Jeremiah
07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
I bought an 04 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab from the auction, it had an engine light on, it cost 6800 after all taxes and fees. Turns out it was the temperature sensor right behind the grill that needed to be replaced. ($30 part and easily DIY)

Put it for sale for $10,000, got $9800 two weeks after I originally bought it :D

1slw4dr
07-19-2010, 11:13 AM
I bought an 87 Mazda RX7 for $1000 had an s5 motor but didn't run. After inspecting the car i noticed the motor fuse was blown and i took one of the extra fuses replaced it and the car ran fine. Sold it for $3500

2EFNFAST
07-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Bought a pocket bike off e-bay for 200ish. Re-sold it for 400 a few days later :burnout:

On a side-note, anybody who drives a pocket bike on the streets is jsut plain out crazy and has a death wish :nut:

Freeskier
07-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Bought a volkswagen thing for $1500, replaced the oil pump, and fixed a rip in the roof. Drove it for the summer and sold it for $7500 to a business in Ontario who wanted it as a promo car.

AndyL
07-19-2010, 06:23 PM
87 Cheby Suburban 4x4 TH400/454

Bought it for 500$ - took it to bush league 4x4 (yeah this is that long ago - back when they were good still) for inspection, lift, gears, lockers, 35s, roof rack, lights, bumpers winch... Put 8000$ into it.

Day after I get the phone call to come and get it owner at bush league calls me up - someone driving by made an offer of 15,000.

Sold. Never even got to drive the damn thing.

97'Scort
07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Bought my '88 Vulcan 750 for $1300, put maybe $100 into it to fix the speedo, rode it for a year and sold it for $2300.

Drsuce
07-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Bought an absolutly hammered 1995 Saturn SC1, only 80,000km on it i think... the paint was a chaulky pink in color! Polished it, detailed the insides and sold it for $5000!.... i only paid $1500 :)