PDA

View Full Version : Help with Condo Board

Cos
07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I dont know what to do with my condo board. I moved into my place in April and the first day we received parking tickets as we didn’t have passes. I called Monday and spoke to the guy who is our property representative (I guess a company hired to direct our board of directors in what to do) and he explained to me that the previous owner should have left me two passes and because of that we were tickted. I asked them to revoke the tickets but said it was Calgary parking authority. I asked him where else I could get passes and he said I could purchase them from him for $25.00 each. I called my realtor and the previous owner came the next day with my pass.

At the same time I asked him if I could submit an application to the board for midterm appointment as a board member. He said he would present it to the board and asked if I could email that to him. I emailed it to him promptly and never heard back. The guy was very helpful up until this point.

Fast forward a few weeks and I get a call from the accounting and legal department saying that I, as a renter, cannot request changes to the account. I told them I just purchased the unit so I was not a renter. They said they had no proof of that and I would have to provide them with a copy of my title. I told them that my lawyer requested a letter from them (cant remember what it is called right now) and at the same time they received written notification of change of ownership. They looked it up and saw that the unit did in fact change hands but they didn’t have proof so it was my fault. I argued with them over a while but finally got it sorted when I was mailed a copy of my title. At this point I have still not heard about my request for appointment to the board, not even an email saying he received it, or that he would ask the board or anything, just a big black hole.

During the heavy rain storm in June one of our windows started to leak. It was cracked when we bought the house but it was a glass block window and the board said they were going to be dealing with it. I submitted online through our maintenance request form to have someone come and look at my window and after it said someone would respond to me within 48 hours. After two weeks I called and they said they would pass a message onto my guy. Two weeks later and I still haven’t heard anything.

Today I sent an email that said:

Good Morning xxxxxxx,

I have sent in a few different requests over the last 3 months regarding:
- Pet Application.
- Maintenance Repair (we have a cracked window in my unit that leaks).
- Request of the board for mid term election for myself as a board member.

Now I can understand these things take time and without board approval there is not a lot you guys can do. However I have not received any documentation or communication at all to say any of these requests have been received and what the next step is or when that could potentially take place.

I am not sure if I have been sending the information to the wrong people or what exactly the problem is. On April 9 I emailed you both when I moved in to my place as I had parking pass issues and a subsequent parking ticket. You both responded quickly and were very helpful so I am not sure what has happened in this case.

Can you please let me know if any of these have actually been received and what, if any, steps are being taken on these? My address is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for your reference.

I appreciate your time and please call me at the number below if there is anything more you require.

Xxxxx

Now since I cannot get a hold of this guy and I dont even know who is on my board, what the hell can I do? Am I being unreasonable? I pay these guys a lot of money and having a broken window and being ignored is not something I appreciate.

revelations
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
You said you bought a house and the area is controlled by a management company?

Normally the BOARD hires the management co, and not the other way around.

As far as communication with the condo board - some are better than others. We have an email setup where residents can talk to us if they feel our managent co. is doing an unsatisfactory job - or just to talk to us specifically.

Getting a hold of individual board members depends on the setup of the board. You shouldve received a bunch of documents (condo docs) which has minutes of the condo board meetings. Usually there is a previous years' AGM pamphlet as well which will list the board members and their unit numbers as the members typically are elected then.

Electing board members OUTSIDE of the AGM is a real PITA as you have to gather something like 30% of the residents at one place to get a vote going - which is typically very hard to do.

Cos
07-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by revelations

1.) You said you bought a house and the area is controlled by a management company?

2.) Normally the BOARD hires the management co, and not the other way around.

As far as communication with the condo board - some are better than others. We have an email setup where residents can talk to us if they feel our managent co. is doing an unsatisfactory job - or just to talk to us specifically.

Getting a hold of individual board members depends on the setup of the board. You shouldve received a bunch of documents (condo docs) which has minutes of the condo board meetings. Usually there is a previous years' AGM pamphlet as well which will list the board members and their unit numbers as the members typically are elected then.

3.) Electing board members OUTSIDE of the AGM is a real PITA as you have to gather something like 30% of the residents at one place to get a vote going - which is typically very hard to do.

1.) Sorry it is a townhouse.

2.) You are correct we have a board consisting of owners. However our board has no balls, something like 7 people (including the 5 person board) went to the AGM last year out of 100 or 300 units (dont know of the apartment building is also part of our block). I did have minutes and such but the one guy I talked to said he was no longer on the board so I dunno who the hell to talk to.

3.) And if that is the case fine. However not a single person has emailed, called, visited, whatever to say that they would prefer that I wait until the AGM. The whole damned thing is a black hole. They said I could request it and that is as far as it has gone.

I actually just called his assistant and she was quite helpful and will go and speak to them regarding all of this, she says this is too long to deal with it.

Kloubek
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
I agree with Revelations. It is hard to get on a board "out of turn" so to speak. Normally, the board is dissolved and reassembled every year at the AGM. So to you Cos, I say "good luck".

As far as the tickets are concerned - it sucks, but it sounds like it is not the board's responsibility to provide them to you. If the previous owner should have left passes, then they should not be responsible to pay it. Shitty though.

As far as contacting actual board members - that is really not the standard way of going about things. You contact the management company with your issues; that is what they are there for.

Finally: They should indeed be repairing your window as to prevent further damage. Keep emailing them, and keep a record of your emails. Exactly what your recourse is if they do not comply, I am not sure.

Cos
07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I agree with Revelations. It is hard to get on a board "out of turn" so to speak. Normally, the board is dissolved and reassembled every year at the AGM. So to you Cos, I say "good luck".

As far as the tickets are concerned - it sucks, but it sounds like it is not the board's responsibility to provide them to you. If the previous owner should have left passes, then they should not be responsible to pay it. Shitty though.

As far as contacting actual board members - that is really not the standard way of going about things. You contact the management company with your issues; that is what they are there for.

Finally: They should indeed be repairing your window as to prevent further damage. Keep emailing them, and keep a record of your emails. Exactly what your recourse is if they do not comply, I am not sure.

Right and after I spoke to them regarding the tickets, obviously I was choked but it is what it is. I understand the need for the rule but there must be a better way.

As for being elected mid-term, I didnt know the rules, and if it is as difficult as it sounds then I agree I should wait. But can no one tell me that? Do I have to be left hanging?

The thing that really bugged me is the day we were moving in, the board was walking around doing their spring inspection when we were unloading the truck. Did any of them stop and introduce themselves or even say hi as they walked by? No they just walked across my grass with their head in their clipboards.

I spoke to him prior to us buying it as it was broken and I wanted to know if it was his problem our ours. He said that it was part of the outside wall and there are 7-10 other units with the same problem but the board hasnt decided a course of action to fix it. So I left it thinking they would eventually get to it, however once it had an inch of water in between the paynes of glass I knew it had to be changed out. So being ignored for that amount of time is pissing me off.

I guess I just want someone to talk to me

Kloubek
07-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I'll talk to you Cos. PM me for my #. :)

Do realize that if there are multiple failures on the windows, that they know they have to replace all the windows. This could cause issues with the reserve fund (windows are expensive!) as well as exploring various options on what/how to replace them. I would make sure they are aware that your leakage will cause further damage, which you will hold them responsible for.

The fact nobody said anything when they walked past you moving in is kinda disturbing. Doesn't sound like the most friendly board in the world...

Cos
07-12-2010, 02:35 PM
I'll talk to you Cos. PM me for my #. :)

Do realize that if there are multiple failures on the windows, that they know they have to replace all the windows. This could cause issues with the reserve fund (windows are expensive!) as well as exploring various options on what/how to replace them. I would make sure they are aware that your leakage will cause further damage, which you will hold them responsible for.

The fact nobody said anything when they walked past you moving in is kinda disturbing. Doesn't sound like the most friendly board in the world...

PM'd and yeah they arent the best for communication. To be fair there are a ton of units and maybe 7/10 are reported as cracked and no one leaking so whatever.

The complex is well taken care of though, new trees, concrete fixed, taking care of trees properly.

Kloubek
07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Well that's good. Sounds like they at least take care of the place - which probably reflects on a solid reserve fund. (Which, I assume you checked out before you purchased)

Phenix
07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I hate condo boards. will be very happy when I no longer have to deal with them.

Cos
07-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Well that's good. Sounds like they at least take care of the place - which probably reflects on a solid reserve fund. (Which, I assume you checked out before you purchased)

Yeah we have a pretty good reserve fund, we have Hydra landscape for us, they painted all the units last year or the year before. Overall the WHOLE complex looks good but when you try and talk to someone.... good luck.

Originally posted by Phenix
I hate condo boards. will be very happy when I no longer have to deal with them.

Haha, I am honestly looking to buy a house but just cant afford it until the wife is done school.

Cos
07-13-2010, 02:50 PM
So update, spoke to the guys assistant yesterday who said it had been way too long to not hear anything and that she would call me back before the end of the day. Didnt get a call back from her.

Today at 2:00 I called her and asked for an update. She said that electing someone outside of the AGM is too difficult so they would like me to wait (fine) and that the board is 'still looking into the window' so it wont be repaired yet. I asked if the board would be rebuilding my wall then since it is most likely leaking into my unit and she said that was a question to ask the property manager when he calls me. He hasnt called me yet and I dont have a lot of hope that he does.

5hift
07-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Cos you are being too patient.

When I moved into my townhouse I had the same issue with both the Condo board and the Condo management company never getting back to me with phone messages and emails getting similar results to yours.

Find out where the property manager`s head office is and show up. Make it clear you are going to be an active owner, on top of things, and not going away.

I had a couple of issues that I couldn't even get a reply over. I found out where the guy`s office was, and showed up angry in person. Everything I wanted was taken care of the following week. Email and phone correspondence puts too much power in their hands.

Phenix
07-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I know what you mean.

Originally posted by Cos

Haha, I am honestly looking to buy a house but just cant afford it until the wife is done school.

Cos
07-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Problem is that our property manager is part owner of our company.

I will try this but may talk to a board member first.

Originally posted by 5hift
Cos you are being too patient.

When I moved into my townhouse I had the same issue with both the Condo board and the Condo management company never getting back to me with phone messages and emails getting similar results to yours.

Find out where the property manager`s head office is and show up. Make it clear you are going to be an active owner, on top of things, and not going away.

I had a couple of issues that I couldn't even get a reply over. I found out where the guy`s office was, and showed up angry in person. Everything I wanted was taken care of the following week. Email and phone correspondence puts too much power in their hands.

Cos
07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Another update, talked to a board member who is a car guy, 4wheeler, and mason so I had a lot of common ground with him. Explained what has been happening, he is pissed, he has not heard a thing about it.

He said to send him the emails and that way he will go to the board with it, he said he would like the help on the board as well. :thumbsup:

lilmira
07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Yeah we have a pretty good reserve fund, we have Hydra landscape for us, they painted all the units last year or the year before. Overall the WHOLE complex looks good but when you try and talk to someone.... good luck.

I had Hydra at my old townhouse. Those guys are pretty good, snow is cleared within hours usually while I laughed at the townhouses across the street not cleared till the next day. They would even come in late at night too I was surprised.

Cos
07-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

I had Hydra at my old townhouse. Those guys are pretty good, snow is cleared within hours usually while I laughed at the townhouses across the street not cleared till the next day. They would even come in late at night too I was surprised.

The snow guys are great but all you have to do is show up. However the landscape guys are amazing!

revelations
07-14-2010, 10:07 AM
FYI condo board MEMBERS have been sued individually for lack of action on their part.

For eg. if the leak was brought up at a monthly condo meeting and _I_ voted to do nothing about it, I could be held liable for damages caused by the leak if the motion to repair the damages doesent pass the vote.

Many condo board members arent aware of this and think that they can be lazy and not have to worry about the consequences.