PDA

View Full Version : Is Post-Secondary right for you?

Tomaz
07-12-2010, 03:52 PM
When would you decide that a post-secondary education is not the right path for you?

Not attempting/Not interested?

Too many failures?

Cannot find preferred path of study?

Ran out of money/Too expensive?

Not needed?

Post in the poll and describe your reasons! Interesting stories/experiences welcome!

Critical
07-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I voted not interested. Most people pursue a field of study that matches their interests but find out how totally different it really is. Thankfully after three years I am finally starting to enjoy it, although I did consider changing routes.

max_boost
07-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Depends what you want to do so definitely not for everyone.

hiway789
07-12-2010, 04:20 PM
couldn't find a right path for my career. :hijack:

Sykes
07-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Depends what you want to do so definitely not for everyone.

I agree with this.

I also think it's not black and white. I think I speak for all of us who've gone through post secondary that there are things we've loved, things we've liked, things we've tolerated, and things we absolutely hated. Just because you lose motivation or fail at something doesn't mean it's not for you.

In my case, I BARELY made it through my undergrad (and often wondered if post-secondary was for me), but I gritted my teeth and got through it. The result? I'm now in a career that has little to do with my degree, but my degree serves as a pre-requisite to certain qualifications in my field (which, obviously, earns me more money). It has also opened up the possibility of pursuing a Masters degree - something I will be doing next year (ironically).

I wanted to throw in the towel so many times, but now that it's all done, I'm glad that I finished - I have possibilities available to me that I wouldn't have otherwise (and I quite enjoy what I'm doing now).

Hindsight is always 20/20.

leftwing
07-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Sykes post pretty much sums up my opinion.

It is NOT for everyone, but I believe in general it will help most people out in the long run. Like Sykes said, his career is not completely related to his degree, but he couldnt have gotten his job without his degree.

I too, have questioned myself and thought about quitting and just settling with a diploma but I know I will regret not finishing my degree.

I think the people who fail at post secondary are the ones who dont take it seriously and who go to school just because their parents expect them too and they dont actually want to be there.

I took a year off after high school and think it helped my realise that if I want more control of my future I need to go to school.

Sykes
07-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
I think the people who fail at post secondary are the ones who dont take it seriously and who go to school just because their parents expect them too and they dont actually want to be there.

This too.

This would be part of the reason why I barely got through my undergrad. Once I figured out what I actually wanted, my motivation changed - it was just too bad that I figured this out my final year. Motivation is everything.

Also, I partly disagree with the money issue. I think you need to look at student loans/debt as an investment that will pay itself back over time (which it should). If you're worried about whether or not you can find a job that can pay itself back after graduation, you might be studying the wrong field.

jdmXSI
07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Here is my thought, im not against post secondary education at all and nor have i been. I never knew what i wanted to do with my life and i wasent about to spend 2 years in general studies while spending $2500 a semester plus books. To only spend 4 more years earning a degree that would net what im making now... Part of the reason why i never went back.

I know far too many people who just went to university/ collage for the sake of going and im sure they had the time of thier life... But they have been there for 6-8 years now, aquired $xxxxx in debt and still ahve now direction to what they want to be. If you dont have a indication of what you want to do then do some more research in a field your interested in and see if you can do some job shadowing to see if its fitting for you... Dont spend 3-4yrs in school, get a job and then find out that way...

Tik-Tok
07-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

I know far too many people who just went to university/ collage for the sake of going and im sure they had the time of thier life... But they have been there for 6-8 years now, aquired $xxxxx in debt and still ahve now direction to what they want to be.

:werd:

Of all my highschool friends, I was the only one NOT to go post secondary (right away anyways). 13 years later, not ONE of my old friends is now in a career that had ANYTHING to do with their first 4 years, and they all paid (or their parents) a lot of money to just get baby-sat and party for a few years after H.S.

911fever
07-14-2010, 06:41 AM
I hate University and school in general, and I'd rather be making money, but doing car sales has motivated me to finish my degree and find out what I want to do with my life. The greatest motivation is finding something you don't want to do, so you can find your passion of what you do want to do.

riceeater
07-18-2010, 03:59 AM
you dont have to go to post secondary to get a degree! you can pick areas that interest you and take courses there for your own self-growth and not really care about the marks or getting the degree, just the information gained. you can open studies your way through the areas you want to learn about and move on with your plans ;) i think there are certain things we all can use a little more info on, regardless of how smart or succesfull you are. Maybe say you got succesfull really quick and things worked out great, but some actual business courses might help you sustain that success and help you grow it more in the long run

leftwing
07-18-2010, 05:04 PM
where else do you go to get a degree other than post secondary?

403ep3
07-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Lol you can't.

It all depends on the person. I believe school will benefit me for my career of choice because you can't get there any other way lol. Accounting and wanting to become a CA; I have no choice but to go to school.