PDA

View Full Version : where to get stencils made

civicrider
07-12-2010, 03:56 PM
im looking to get some plastic stencils cut out to do some painting, maybe two different ones that should fit on a 9x11 sized sheet. This is what im looking to get but with different logos

http://blog.makezine.com/jolly-roger-stencil.jpg

ercchry
07-12-2010, 03:59 PM
huh... i wonder if my vinyl cutter can do that? the plastic might be a little thick... but maybe a stencil made of vinyl would work?

Thaco
07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
huh... i wonder if my vinyl cutter can do that? the plastic might be a little thick... but maybe a stencil made of vinyl would work? or put the vinyl stencil on thin sheet of plastic and cut it out with a dremel or hobby knife.

95teetee
07-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
huh... i wonder if my vinyl cutter can do that? the plastic might be a little thick... but maybe a stencil made of vinyl would work? most plotters can do thicker stuff (like the rubber film for decorative sandblasting) but the cutting weight has to be adjusted accordingly, and you might need to go to a higher angle blade. Personally I would expect to kiss the blade goodbye also:D

I was thinking self-adhesive vinyl myself. That logo has 'floating' areas that aren't attached to the main part of the design. Therefore, when it's cut out of a plastic sheet those pieces just fall off. The backing sheet of the vinyl solves that problem.
I'm guessing the OP wants to be able to reuse them though...

civicrider
07-13-2010, 07:55 PM
yeah something reusable would be nice