PDA

View Full Version : What smartphone to buy? NON-IPHONE.

A790
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Okay, I'm done with iPhones. Not interested, especially not interested in the iPhone 4.

I use my phone a lot of apps, GPS, games, etc. so I'm thinking that Android is the only real alternative.

Problem is: I know jack-dick-squat about Android phones. Do I buy a Nexus One, or an Xperia X10? What about an Asus Liquid E?

Someone shed some light, please. I'm looking to buy a phone ASAP. I'm with Rogers :)

Only caveat is that the phone must have a decent camera and have 3G accessibility/full web browsing capability.

ryanallan
07-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Wait for Samsung Galaxy S on Bell or HTC Desire on Telus.
Both should be out before the end of the month.

A790
07-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Should mention that I'm with Rogers.

ZEDGE
07-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Rogers will be getting a version of the Samsung Galaxy S also afaik. Nexus one is the other solution.

GoChris
07-12-2010, 05:55 PM
The Nexus One. The Xperia is not the latest OS, not even close, the Galaxy S will be a nice phone though, so might be worth waiting for. Either of those two are comparable.

A790
07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Just bought an Xperia on a whim. Going to see if I still like it in a week.

spike98
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by A790
Just bought an Xperia on a whim. Going to see if I still like it in a week.

Big mistake man. I suggest taking it back if you can! Zero multitouch. Its hardware is obsolete already.

A790
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Big mistake man. I suggest taking it back if you can! Zero multitouch. Its hardware is obsolete already.
Gah! I just spent 30 minutes in the damn store. If I don't like it I'll just sell it and get something else.

TorqueDog
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
I've been hearing good things about the Acer Liquid E.

spike98
07-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Gah! I just spent 30 minutes in the damn store. If I don't like it I'll just sell it and get something else.

You normally get 15 mine talk time or 15 days to return it. Head back to rogers and return it.

If you MUST have a phone today, get the liquid e. By the sounds of it you do because you made your purchase an hour after posting the thread.

But you WILL regret the x10. IMO its this years most disappointing phone.

shakalaka
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Can't believe you got the x10. You're gonna hate that lag and massive size. I just came over to the Nexus One from iPhone and couldn't be happier.:D

A790
07-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Going to buy a Nexus one and keep whichever one I like better I guess. :)

And actually, I like the size. The size was the reason I bought it. :)

Isaiah
07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I just came over to the Nexus One from iPhone and couldn't be happier.:D
What about it is better than the iphone? I'm not an iphone fanboy, just wondering since I haven't really researched the Nexus One. Coles?

black13
07-12-2010, 08:29 PM
iPhone 4 or Nexus One but for the nexus you need to play around with it more to truely take advantage of it. If your not into that then you'll be running back to the iPhone sooner or later.

Xtrema
07-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

What about it is better than the iphone? I'm not an iphone fanboy, just wondering since I haven't really researched the Nexus One. Coles?

Iphone:

Pro:

Accessories, Accessories, Accessories
iTunes
Great media interface
Higher quality apps

Con:
No Flash
Restricted apps development
Restricted ISP tethering
iTunes

Android:

Pro:
Full web (Flash)
Unrestricted apps
Google branded phone with Froyo has free tethering

Con:
Lower quality/quantity of apps
Weaker media interfaces

I'm pretty sure my next phone will be a Nexus One.

shakalaka
07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
For the iPhone 4 lovers. May want to wait a wee bit.:dunno:

PR Experts: iPhone 4 Hardware Recall Is “Inevitable” http://bit.ly/9qYrkE

Travel_Dude
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Based on your needs requirement the only real alternative is.....nothing.

The iPhone fits your needs quite well.

Xtrema
07-12-2010, 09:39 PM
For the iPhone 4 lovers. May want to wait a wee bit.:dunno:

PR Experts: iPhone 4 Hardware Recall Is “Inevitable” http://bit.ly/9qYrkE

The way I see it, Apple know they can get away with it. They will let the class action take its course, settle and send every iPhone 4 owner a $0.10 phone condom to wrap that shit up.

Jlude
07-12-2010, 10:05 PM
coworker just picked up an xperia x10, it's pretty awesome, from the quick minute I played with it. He likes it a lot so far.

JAARemedy
07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I got tired of my iphone as well
This week I purchased the Samsung Wave - beautiful screen (AMOLED screen) very fast(1Ghz processor) but the BADA OS sucks

Then I went to the HTC Legend, android is so much better IMO. If you want best of both worlds (Samsung wave+android), get the Samsung Galaxy S

l/l/rX
07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Hey how are these phones for receiving email? Push or pull email? Is there a noticeable difference from a blackberry?

Is there a big difference between the HTC Desire and HTC Nexus one?

I really like nokias, nokia n8, symbian^3? Whats your opinion?

I don't want a blackberry nor an iphone either.

WhippWhapp
07-12-2010, 11:03 PM
HTC Desire

rc2002
07-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
coworker just picked up an xperia x10, it's pretty awesome, from the quick minute I played with it. He likes it a lot so far.

+1. I have an X10 too. X10 is currently on android 1.6, but should have an upgrade to 2.1 soon. I've tried phones on both OSes and haven't really noticed any significant differences.

8.1MP camera, 16GB card and bigger screen sealed the deal for me. I read a ton of reviews on it, including complaints about lag and keyboard precision. Rogers kept telling me I could return it if I didn't like it. But I actually really like it and have decided to keep it.

Nexus one seemed like a waste of money to me. Might as well get a subsidized one from Rogers since you're already paying for it with the data plan.

Phones get obsolete and replaced so fast, it's not worth paying the premium for top of the line. If you must have the latest and best, check out the new HTC Evo or Droid X.

shakalaka
07-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by JAARemedy
I got tired of my iphone as well
This week I purchased the Samsung Wave - beautiful screen (AMOLED screen) very fast(1Ghz processor) but the BADA OS sucks

Then I went to the HTC Legend, android is so much better IMO. If you want best of both worlds (Samsung wave+android), get the Samsung Galaxy S

Samsung Wave actually has a SUPER AMOLED screen which is even better than AMOLED display. However were you able to get 3G on it here? I was under the impression that they don't have NAM version for that phone, otherwise I would have gotten it. It's fairly cheap at about $400 as well.

Here's a quick side by side review of the N1 and X10

http://www.phone-vs-phone.net/nexus-one-vs-xperia-x10

Xtrema
07-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
If you must have the latest and best, check out the new HTC Evo or Droid X.

I can be wrong, neither Evo or Droid X will work with any Canadian networks.

evoXfan
07-13-2010, 10:34 AM
the X10 will receive Multitouch http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news/multi-answers-about-xperia-x10-multitouch/

Thaco
07-13-2010, 10:37 AM
i am gettin me a dell streak as soon as it's released (speculated for tomorrow) look it up, it's a sexy device.

spike98
07-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by evoXfan
the X10 will receive Multitouch http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news/multi-answers-about-xperia-x10-multitouch/

I think that is bullshit info IMO. The screen that the X10 has only supports single point touch. Its a hardware limitation. Short of changing it, there is no way to do it. There are 5000 post on the internet saying it cant for every one it can.

But i guess only time will tell. Im ditching my N1 for a Samsung Captivate anyways :drool:

GoChris
07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
I think a streak would be awesome, I wish there was a decent 7" one for use around the house, surfing on the couch, playing games, rss, etc.

Might grab a streak anyway though, do they come unlocked? Would be sweet if I can just swap my sim, fuck cdma!

rc2002
07-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I can be wrong, neither Evo or Droid X will work with any Canadian networks.

You'd have to wait for an HSPA derivative phone. It'd be similar to what Motorola did when they rolled out the original droid.

Thaco
07-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by GoChris
I think a streak would be awesome, I wish there was a decent 7" one for use around the house, surfing on the couch, playing games, rss, etc.

Might grab a streak anyway though, do they come unlocked? Would be sweet if I can just swap my sim, fuck cdma!
dell has been pretty tight lipped about it, but apparently they are supposed to be sold directly from dell's site, fully unlocked.

GoChris
07-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

dell has been pretty tight lipped about it, but apparently they are supposed to be sold directly from dell's site, fully unlocked.

fucking win

shakalaka
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
i am gettin me a dell streak as soon as it's released (speculated for tomorrow) look it up, it's a sexy device.

That's a phone?!?

The freaking thing seems MASSIVE to be a phone!

http://www.engadget.com/photos/dell-streak-review/#3045430

Thaco
07-13-2010, 04:27 PM

That's a phone?!?

The freaking thing seems MASSIVE to be a phone!

http://www.engadget.com/photos/dell-streak-review/#3045430

perfect for me, i use my phone like 1-2 times per week, all other comms are email, text or FB, and any time i use the phone i am usually in my car where i have a BT speakerphone.

Tomaz
07-13-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't care who you are, the Dell Streak looks sweet! Perfect size for texting with my meaty hands!

psycoticclown
07-13-2010, 09:37 PM
I was looking at the Streak but I think it's a tad too big lol.

jadeboy
07-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Dell Streak for me too.. been waiting for this..

GoChris
07-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Anyone know roughly what the price might be? I'll probably have to wait, I'm broke.

jadeboy
07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
$ 500 US

Best site for information about the Streak

http://www.streaksmart.com/

Thaco
07-13-2010, 10:17 PM
word is $500 usd, but the UK one was closer to $600, so we wont know til it comes out.

A790
07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Gah this X10 drops the wireless connection CONSTANTLY. Fucker's going back first thing tomorrow.

shakalaka
07-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Wow more Streak lovers than I would have imagined. Guess you guys don't put your phones in your pockets then. lol

A790 go with the N1, you won't be disappointed. If you'd like to play around with one for a wee bit and just see how it works and all, I don't mind meeting up with you and letting you check it out.

A790
07-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Wow more Streak lovers than I would have imagined. Guess you guys don't put your phones in your pockets then. lol

A790 go with the N1, you won't be disappointed. If you'd like to play around with one for a wee bit and just see how it works and all, I don't mind meeting up with you and letting you check it out.
Just say when and where big boy ;)

But seriously, that'd a sweet offer!

Thaco
07-14-2010, 09:03 AM
also the Samsung captivate is supposed to be coming on Sunday to ATT (and assumably unlock able) it's the most powerful android phone yet, it's a close second on my list after the streak.

GoChris
07-14-2010, 09:22 AM
It's coming to Bell too though, easier to get that one.

A790 if you are in the south I could also meet up and show you, if for any reason you can't meet up with shakalaka.

No word on the streak today, Dell is saying "later this summer" for the US.

psycoticclown
07-14-2010, 09:26 AM
also the Samsung captivate is supposed to be coming on Sunday to ATT (and assumably unlock able) it's the most powerful android phone yet, it's a close second on my list after the streak.

Doesn't it just have a 1Ghz chip like many other phones?

If you want to do some waiting, you can wait for HTC to launch their new phones with their new processors. HTC Scorpion is supposed to be coming out with a 1.5 Ghz chip and some dual core phones are also supposed to be out before the end of the year.

GoChris
07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes, but it's not the 1Ghz snapdragon. Just like an intel and amd chip having the same Ghz, wouldn't be the same. (Intel would be faster lol)

A790
07-14-2010, 10:48 AM
It's coming to Bell too though, easier to get that one.

A790 if you are in the south I could also meet up and show you, if for any reason you can't meet up with shakalaka.

No word on the streak today, Dell is saying "later this summer" for the US. I'm in Mckenzie Lake. Can meet up anytime today if that works for you :)

PM'd.

shakalaka
07-14-2010, 12:16 PM
I'll be at UofC pretty much till 6 today and gonna get there soon. Pretty much there most of the time, live near Signal Hill. Give me a shout, whenever you want. Will PM you my phone number, in case you want to.

viff3r
07-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Friend of mine bought the X10 recently. He returned it less than a week later & picked up a BB instead. Haha. I played with the X10 for a couple minutes, seemed like a POS compared to the iPhone.

I'd say the Nexus 1 is the best Android phone out there right now, too bad it's so pricey.

A790
07-14-2010, 01:20 PM
I just pickecd up the Acer Liquid E. Multitouch, great screen... so far, so good.

Checking out Chris' N1 later today too. The Acer is actually a pretty sweet phone though :)

A790
07-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Holy FUCK, does nothing ever work properly? The timestamp on incoming text messages is four hours behind. As a result, messages I receive are displayed above messages I send. It makes following the conversation nearly impossible after a few messages.

Double-you-tee-eff.

EDIT: Using a third party txt app, handcent SMS, solves the problem. I liked the original messaging app better though.

EDIT EDIT: SMS Timefix to the rescue! Works like a charm :)

arian_ma
07-14-2010, 02:38 PM
The iPhone used to have that problem too when I bought the very first gen, before they were released in Canada. I'm sure the current ones don't have the same problem, but you're right, it was really stupid.

ZEDGE
07-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

Doesn't it just have a 1Ghz chip like many other phones?

If you want to do some waiting, you can wait for HTC to launch their new phones with their new processors. HTC Scorpion is supposed to be coming out with a 1.5 Ghz chip and some dual core phones are also supposed to be out before the end of the year.

Its not a snapdragon as said by GoChris. It also has a powerful dedicated GPU for graphics. It will run circles arouind the Nexus one when it comes to graphics. This phone is very nice. Super Amoled too. If I didnt have a Nexus this is "the" android phone I would be waiting for.

A790
07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Really liking the Liquid E so far. Actually prefer it in a lot of ways over my iPhone. That's always a good sign!

ZEDGE
07-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Nice, better choice I think too. From what I played with the X10 it was slow and awful. :thumbsdow Hard to believe it has a snapdragon processor. Probably due to the shit skin Sony put overtop of Android.

psycoticclown
07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

Its not a snapdragon as said by GoChris. It also has a powerful dedicated GPU for graphics. It will run circles arouind the Nexus one when it comes to graphics. This phone is very nice. Super Amoled too. If I didnt have a Nexus this is "the" android phone I would be waiting for.

Nice! Looks like I'll be getting this than.

And I have the wrong text problem with my phone, had it since I got it 2 years ago. HTC Diamond from Asia or something and it does that, lotta people have that problem too. It's lame.

t_soarer
07-14-2010, 09:59 PM
I just picked up an HTC Legend and can't get enough of it. Something to consider.

ragu
07-14-2010, 10:16 PM
^^ +1 legend is pretty nice. Galaxy S and HTC desire are very nice too

ZEDGE
07-14-2010, 10:48 PM
:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4p5JI0-gQ

Still love my Nexus though..lol

403ep3
07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
You guys should try the samsung wave too. Super amoled multi touch screen and 1.0 ghz processor

Its quick and price point on it is cheapppp

stefan15
07-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Maybe jump on the Nexus One.. since:
http://technorati.com/technology/article/google-ceo-no-nexus-two-coming/

Otherwise I'd just hang on to what you have and wait for the next generation of Android phones to come out (in Canada AKA long time after actual release)

The Blackberry Slider looks cool too if you're a big text messager or email freak.

ZEDGE
07-15-2010, 04:45 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/15/slcd-equipped-htc-desire-coming-soon-to-telus/

GoChris
07-15-2010, 09:16 PM
^^ ya that's going to be a good phone, very comparable to the N1. Supposedly the SLCD screen is very good, practically OLED, so they say.

Thaco
07-15-2010, 09:43 PM
^^ ya that's going to be a good phone, very comparable to the N1. Supposedly the SLCD screen is very good, practically OLED, so they say. but it's not even out yet and it's already obsolete because HTC announced the HD version coming soon.

s_havinga
07-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Anyone have any confirmation on when Bell will release the galaxy S? I tried google but the best I could find was "in July".

dawwgy
07-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by s_havinga
Anyone have any confirmation on when Bell will release the galaxy S? I tried google but the best I could find was "in July".

no definite date yet... been checking for the past week or 2

I'm looking to get either the Desire or Galaxy S

Iphone4 has a July 30th release date in Canada, supposedly the Desire and Galaxy S are going to be released around the same time since they are Samsungs and HTC's best competition to the iPhone 4 (this info was from Bell and Telus reps)

A790
07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't even consider the iPhone 4 a competitor until it gets its hardware issues resolved.

TurboMedic
07-16-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't even consider the iPhone 4 a competitor until it gets its hardware issues resolved.

Did you miss the videos showing the HTC's and samsungs doing the same thing? Even my Curve does it

psycoticclown
07-17-2010, 01:20 AM
They all do it, but nowhere near as bad as the Iphone. And the thing is Apple is completely ignoring the problem. They say it's just a software problem when it clearly isn't, their reputation is getting destroyed by doing that. Just like with Toyota and the pedals.

Diesel2005
07-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Is there a place in Calgary that I can purchase the Nexus One or do I have to order it online?

ZEDGE
07-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Online only, unless you purchase privately.

Thaco
07-17-2010, 06:39 PM

ogh there is a fix

put a case on it

or

hold it differently

(<3 Apple's arrogance)

GoChris
07-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic

Did you miss the videos showing the HTC's and samsungs doing the same thing? Even my Curve does it

You bought that shit they were spewing? I can hold my phone anyway I want, and it won't drop a call. sure other phones might lose some signal, when gripped, with your ENTIRE HAND, but the iphone drops signal with a fingertip.

ExtraSlow
06-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Bump from the dead to see if anyone has new opinions on the best non-apple smartphone.
I see Telus is advertising the Samsung Galaxy S III will be availible June 20th. Looks like a slick unit.

j.garner
06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Nokia Lumia

rage2
06-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Looking back, it's funny how much the antenna issue was blown out of proportion. Turns out it's just AT&T's shitty network that can't handle the huge influx of subscribers.

dino_martini
06-11-2012, 12:33 PM
I guess I got a lemon iPhone 4 then. Because man mine had shit reception issues. It was unbelieveable. A lot of the time I had to hold it a certain way to get reception. If iPhone gets bumped up to the 4"-4.3" screen size for the next update, I might jump back on the bandwagon. Otherwise Android will probably be my next purchase.

Though I personally think the HTC One Series are the best devices out at the moment

z2two
06-11-2012, 01:54 PM
One-x looks pretty good, i'm leaning toward the S3 too. The IOS6 features that were announced today just looked underwhelming and i guess they're won't be a new iPhone until fall... Apple's interface is looking outdated.

Zephyr
06-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Looking back, it's funny how much the antenna issue was blown out of proportion. Turns out it's just AT&amp;T's shitty network that can't handle the huge influx of subscribers.

As an AT&T customer, I can confirm this.

supe
06-11-2012, 02:20 PM
I think the S3 is the best Android phone if you don't mind bigger phones. Spec wise its just a crazy phone and they upped the battery size quite a bit too. The HTC One X is actually a pretty good phone too, the display is beautiful. I love how the screen looks like there is no glass between the actual display. The one X just isn't getting the light of day it deserves because apple was able to stop imports of it on the US Carriers. In fact the word is Canadian varients of the S3 will only be dual core, so the One X still has an advantage there.

I'll just keep rambling. I'm actually quite excited to see what the iPhone 5 is going to pack. I know its a bit early but the rumor is early an september release. Assuming we say Samsung is its biggest competitor, the S3 sure has a quite the headstart in the race. I hope that the iPhone 5 can raise the bar as far as hardware specs go.

ajooo
06-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by supe
I think the S3 is the best Android phone if you don't mind bigger phones. Spec wise its just a crazy phone and they upped the battery size quite a bit too. The HTC One X is actually a pretty good phone too, the display is beautiful. I love how the screen looks like there is no glass between the actual display. The one X just isn't getting the light of day it deserves because apple was able to stop imports of it on the US Carriers. In fact the word is Canadian varients of the S3 will only be dual core, so the One X still has an advantage there.

I'll just keep rambling. I'm actually quite excited to see what the iPhone 5 is going to pack. I know its a bit early but the rumor is early an september release. Assuming we say Samsung is its biggest competitor, the S3 sure has a quite the headstart in the race. I hope that the iPhone 5 can raise the bar as far as hardware specs go.

htc one x is only dual core here as well.. both have snap dragon chips which is beastly, so it doesnt really matter. S3 has the slight edge with 2gb of ram

ExtraSlow
06-11-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm 8 months from being off contract on the last handset. Anyone know any tricks to get Telus to waive the early renewal fee?

SlickA70
06-11-2012, 03:11 PM
S3, 'nuff said.

cam_wmh
06-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm 8 months from being off contract on the last handset. Anyone know any tricks to get Telus to waive the early renewal fee?

Yep.

Wait two more months

A3GTiVR6SC
06-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by SlickA70
S3, 'nuff said.

:werd:
Can't wait to get mine.

Dumbass17
06-11-2012, 08:47 PM
i have a HTC One X and love it
it shyts all over iphones. i had a iphone 3gs for years and this thing slaughters it!

dj_rice
06-11-2012, 09:49 PM
My contract is up for renewal next month with Fido. They called to offer me 3 year contract and free HTC One S phone. Should I do take the One S offer or wait for a better phone to come out and renew contract?

Anyone have any insider info on upcoming phones on Fido?Currently using HTC Sensation 4G so HTC One S is almost exactly similiar.

ZEDGE
06-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
My contract is up for renewal next month with Fido. They called to offer me 3 year contract and free HTC One S phone. Should I do take the One S offer or wait for a better phone to come out and renew contract?

Anyone have any insider info on upcoming phones on Fido?Currently using HTC Sensation 4G so HTC One S is almost exactly similiar.

Galaxy S 3 is coming to Fido is it not? One S is nice but I would take an S3 over that. No removable battery and no sd expansion on the HTC One phones.

dj_rice
06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

Galaxy S 3 is coming to Fido is it not? One S is nice but I would take an S3 over that. No removable battery and no sd expansion on the HTC One phones.

I don't believe the S3 will be coming to Fido. Most likely its big brother Rogers only.

narou
06-11-2012, 10:59 PM
http://www.clove.co.uk/smartphones/samsung