PDA

View Full Version : Are you a light sleeper?

C_Dave45
07-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Does the slightest noise wake you up? Then once you're up, you have a tough time getting back to sleep? With me, any different type of noise will wake me, then I'm done.
Here's a tip, if you haven't tried it, use ear plugs. I know, I know everyone's thought of it...but the key is getting the RIGHT plugs. AND getting used to them. Once you do, you can sleep through almost anything. Being in construction, ear plugs come naturally...but if you're new to them the first couple of nights they can be irritating. I buy them by the box and always sleep with them. Neighbour can have the lawn mower going full blast outside my window and it wont wake me up. But here's what I've found: The Home Depot ones (orange) don't seem to fit very good, have poor "foam memory" , are uncomfortable and often fall out.

Wrong ones
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/15768.SHR100Q_4.jpg
The very best and most comfortable are the ones made by 3M. They look like the Home Depot ones but are WAY better in fit and comfort. If you haven't tried them..give it a whirl. once you get used to them you won't sleep without 'em.

Right Ones!!
https://www.signet.net.au/App_Assets/user/products/full/3M_disposable_earplugs_10297.jpg

/end PSA

adam c
07-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm a light sleeper but I'm able to get back to sleep if I have music, I usually use my ipod and earbuds so it drowns out the noise that woke me up. I've gotten to the point where I need to sound to fall asleep (not annoying sound)

kaput
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM

C_Dave45
07-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I figured this out maybe 6 month ago and I've been sleeping better than I ever have. I use the purple ones from London Drugs and they work well for me. They are very reusuable too, a pair can last 2-3 weeks before they stop expanding (just keep your ears clean!). Where do you get the 3M ones and how much do they cost?

Yeah some might find different brands more comfortable for their shape/size of ear canal.
The 3M's used to be everywhere, but now the last place I found them was at TimberTown up off 32nd and 12th St in the NE. I'm sure any good first aid supply place might have them as well. I think I paid $40 for a box of 200. (.20 ea)

Tik-Tok
07-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Ear plugs are good, but my wife and I are on very different shifts, and I don't like waking her at 2:30am, while my alarm is blaring, and I'm not hearing it :rofl:

Instead we risk the dreaded fan death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death) , and leave one on all night. It also drowns out the noise from outside when our windows are open in the summer.

RecoilS14
07-13-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm so glad I'm not a light sleeper. I don't envy you people in any way. :(

Have you ever tried conditioning yourself to sleep through loud noise? Like falling asleep listening to a stereo or loud tv?

ExtraSlow
07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Have any of you tried white noise? I sleep fine, but I use it for my kid to keep her from waking up when tehre are other noises in the house. Seems to work.

Tik-Tok
07-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
I'm so glad I'm not a light sleeper. I don't envy you people in any way. :(

Have you ever tried conditioning yourself to sleep through loud noise? Like falling asleep listening to a stereo or loud tv?

I'm fine through consistent loud noises, it's sudden noises that wake me up. Like my dog jingling his tags in the middle of the night, or a loud motorcycle driving down the street.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Have any of you tried white noise? I sleep fine, but I use it for my kid to keep her from waking up when tehre are other noises in the house. Seems to work.

That's why we use a fan, unfortunately it's also rather addicting, whenever we're not home and have no fan, we both find it difficult to sleep.

Critical
07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by adam c
I'm a light sleeper but I'm able to get back to sleep if I have music, I usually use my ipod and earbuds so it drowns out the noise that woke me up. I've gotten to the point where I need to sound to fall asleep (not annoying sound)

I'm not a light sleeper but used to do this. Took me sooo long to stop that habit. :banghead:

t-im
07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Does anyone ever find that ear plugs come out in the middle of the night and you end up waking up because of that?

ExtraSlow
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
If you need white noise when you travel, you can get white noise apps for your smartphone. Smaller than carrying a fan.

88CRX
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I got into the habit of sleeping with a fan on..... sucks when I travel or when I'm not at home. Can't sleep without one now.

And recently I did the ear plugs while camping and they worked wonders. I'm afraid to try them at home though, I'm sure I'll sleep right through my blaring alarm no problem.

Willis
07-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Been doing this for years but always worries me that I won't be able to hear intruders/ vandals before it's too late.

Speed_69
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
If you're a light sleeper, I think you should try some Melatonin pills. Same ingredient in Turkey that makes you sleepy.

kaput
07-13-2010, 12:21 PM

wintonyk
07-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
If you're a light sleeper, I think you should try some Melatonin pills. Same ingredient in Turkey that makes you sleepy.

Its tryptophan in turkey that makes you sleepy. Tryptophan is an amino acid. Interestingly though it is also very high in pork. But you really want to get dosey, get your hands on on some sea lion kidney.

Besides melatonin can reap havoc on metabolism and hormones.

Speed_69
07-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

Its tryptophan in turkey that makes you sleepy. Tryptophan is an amino acid. Interestingly though it is also very high in pork. But you really want to get dosey, get your hands on on some sea lion kidney.

Besides melatonin can reap havoc on metabolism and hormones.
Tryptophan is converted into Serotonin. The Serotinin is then metabolized into Melatonin. Same thing.

C_Dave45
07-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by t-im
Does anyone ever find that ear plugs come out in the middle of the night and you end up waking up because of that? that's when you wake up and find it stuck to your forhead. Hahaha

max_boost
07-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Ya it's a habit now. Eye covers and ear plugs=good night's rest.

swak
07-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Ohh man, I can sleep through anything, but once I'm up, I'm up and that's it.. If its 1am, well, I better find a good way to kill time...

Especially in hotels, how do you light sleepers survive?

Oz-
07-14-2010, 07:23 AM
I used to be a pretty light sleeper, but could also sleep 1012 hours straight.

After kids.

Heavy sleeper, to the point I don't even hear them crying beside me. Max sleep time? About 8 hours or so, however I feel extremely refreshed after my sleep.

I don't use ear plugs, apart from the kids the only other change was supplementing Zinc & Magnesium.

Kritafo
07-14-2010, 07:49 AM
i'm a light sleeper and used to use ear plugs until kids. Now I run a fan in the room, I like to test them at the store for how loud they run. lol. Lots of fans are too quiet. When I travel I call the hotel to see if they have a room fan, if not I have a portable one that goes into my suitcase it's pathetic but I would rather carry one around than have a bad nights sleep. I tried the white noise thing but still wake up though it. Fan on high I am good to go with 3 mg of melatonin. Unless I am highly stressed this works great. I still go through a sleep pattern where I wake up for about a week straight at 4:30 am, it makes for a long day.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-14-2010, 08:10 AM
I wear softer ear plugs bought at safeway.

However I suggest to anyone to try cutting the tips off, so its not rammed into your ear protecting you from jackhammers.

A dog a block away can wake me up :(

adam c
07-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by swak
Ohh man, I can sleep through anything, but once I'm up, I'm up and that's it.. If its 1am, well, I better find a good way to kill time...

Especially in hotels, how do you light sleepers survive?

that's where my IPod comes in, if I don't have that then I use the TV and use the sleep timer, doesn't work as well as music does though

beyond_ban
07-14-2010, 09:07 AM
I pity light sleepers. I passed out watching Top Gear yesterday at around 10 and and woke up at 2:30 with my contacts still in. Plucked my contacts and was sound asleep until 6 when my alarm went off.

gqmw
07-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I am a terribly light sleeper, wake up to the slightest noise unless I've been awake for 20+ hours, then usually I can pass out for a good 10 hours.

gyu
07-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm a pretty light sleeper, whenever someone opens my door when I'm sleeping I'm aware of it, and I hate it.

revelations
07-14-2010, 09:58 PM
I've heard that light sleepers are conditioned during infancy as they supposedly slept with very little noise. The legend claims infants raised in urban settings with a fair amount of noise tend to not be as sensitive to it later on in life.

I also do a fair bit of travelling and when I stay in hotels, nearly always have the room fan going for white noise....never had an issue :dunno:

revelations
07-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Instead we risk the dreaded fan death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death) , and leave one on all night. It also drowns out the noise from outside when our windows are open in the summer.

"fan death"

:rofl: orientals and their wierd beliefs/superstitions !!

legendboy
07-14-2010, 10:21 PM
i know its not the healthiest thing but i find

http://www.pharmer.org/files/images/Temazepam30mgAPO.jpg

+

http://www.reddysofflicence.ie/userfiles/image/guinness_4_pack.jpg

works wonders for my light sleeping problems :rofl:

K3RMiTdot
07-14-2010, 10:29 PM
im such a light sleeper, if i wake up, i usually sit on the computer till i get tired enough to go back to sleep, which is pretty much every night. Me waking up at night isnt even noise related, i just have troubles sleeping. ill wake up same time no matter when i sleep -______-

Blacura
07-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Melatonin can work too. I took one 3mg cap. Fell asleep and woke up in the exact position I fell asleep in. The rest of the bed was pristine. It doesn't really help you fall asleep but helps keep you in a deep one. Cheap too.

QR25DE-SER
07-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Anyone tried the wax ear plugs I used those alot. I am a light sleeper however if I am so tired I found out will fall asleep to blasting music . Its so werid..I just dont get that.
:banghead:

Dumbass17
07-20-2010, 04:54 AM
haha i've been traveling since april and staying in hostels and im' a light sleeper. i have always put in earplugs but they don't eliminate noise completely, they just muffle it some. it sucks getting up in a hostel at 7 or 8am and having to dress quietly while the other people sleep til 11 or 2pm.
i wish i could sleep in.
even when i'm wasted i'm still up at 8am, i can't fall back asleep when i'm hungover, the room spins and it hurts to have my eyes closed, i need them open. sounds weird, i know! it's messed up.
and once i'm up, then i'm up.

Swank
07-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
...you can sleep through almost anything.

Smoke detectors, burglars, 4AM phone call to tell you mom is dying :eek: