PDA

View Full Version : Canuckles MMA Gym

Shlade
07-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Anybody been there before? I hear its a pretty small gym but also heard its a pretty good place to workout if you wanna do some MMA style fighting.

Has anybody taken this before at all? Is it worth the $130 a month?

I want to get into some style of fighting and figure this would be good, I was also considering Brazilian Ju Jitsu.

Suggestions and experiences?

TIA

1-Bar
07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
bdb, please don't go to Canuckles....try out their free trial classes and you'll see why......

[Yu]
07-14-2010, 10:03 PM
my friend recently made the move from Canuckles to BDB and cannot be happier.

Canuckles is actually quite big to the point where the owner doesn't seem to care about quality of training or maintaining a tight knit community.

My friend had an amateur competition up in Edmonton, not one of the 500 members of Canuckles even showed up, if I (and his other buddies didn't join him) didn't show up, he would of been all alone. Just watching him warm up alone was kinda sad since you see all these other gyms with groups helping each other out.

The only person he saw from his gym was a former trainer at Canuckles, and he was nice enough to help out.

In the bjj intermediate tourney, he lost his first matchup in a tournament styled event. The guy he lost to was from BDB, and my buddy almost tapped him with a sick heel hook (like literally 10 secs away from the words of his opponent). After he lost, his opponent went on to win the gold medal.

After that event he decided to look at other gyms and checked out BDB first. Immediately on the free trial week of intermediate bjj, his opponent remembered him and the whole gym welcomed him like it was his home.

So as previously mentioned by the poster above, BDB would be a good choice, and besides you can meet Nick Ring (The Ultimate Fighter contestant) as he is the muay thai coach.

Shlade
07-14-2010, 11:01 PM
awesome thanks a lot!

Where is BDB located?

nj2Type-S
07-15-2010, 01:13 AM
what's so bad about canuckles, anyway? can a gym really be THAT bad? lol.

[Yu]
07-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
awesome thanks a lot!

Where is BDB located?

Its located on 16th ave. Its behind TnT in the NE, and near Gallery of Fine Cars (LULZ!)

and yes to the other poster above. A gym can be that bad.

Like I said, when you go to a gym, you go to meet new people as well. When my friend went to the competition and didnt have any gym mates going, I was kind of disappointed (even though he never complained) that not even ONE other member went up to compete.

As for the BDB gym, around 20+ of them went and competed. Doing some dry sparring and what not to help each other warm up. Just looks like a much more tight knit gym to me.

nj2Type-S
07-15-2010, 01:43 AM
i've been training at bdb for about 5 years now and i can't see myself training elsewhere; i just love it there. i've never been to canuckles, sooo yeah. and, yeah, bdb is great. i'm just worried that with nick being so popular now, that the gym will start attracting douchebags. not that i'm calling you a DB, OP. lol!

[Yu]
07-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i've been training at bdb for about 5 years now and i can't see myself training elsewhere; i just love it there. i've never been to canuckles, sooo yeah. and, yeah, bdb is great. i'm just worried that with nick being so popular now, that the gym will start attracting douchebags. not that i'm calling you a DB, OP. lol!

Lol... yea DBs would be homosack, but most douches aren't serious about training, so I don't think you have to worry. You might get an influx of those people this year, but I'd bet they won't stay.

Also, doesn't Nick only teach the more advance classes of of muay thai? I haven't talked to him for awhile, when I met him, it was at the University and I didn't even know he was a trainer till half way through the semester.

nj2Type-S
07-15-2010, 01:52 AM
there are really no 'advanced' classes. we mix them all up so that the more experienced guys can help out the newer ones. the advanced guys usually go to the thai pad sessions before the regular class for that extra workout.

1-Bar
07-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Forgot to mention, Jits @ BDB is top notch....went to the canuckles website and it didn't even state the instructor :dunno: IMO usually not a good sign....

sexualbanana
07-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
Anybody been there before? I hear its a pretty small gym but also heard its a pretty good place to workout if you wanna do some MMA style fighting.

Has anybody taken this before at all? Is it worth the $130 a month?

I want to get into some style of fighting and figure this would be good, I was also considering Brazilian Ju Jitsu.

Suggestions and experiences?

TIA

A buddy and I went to check out Canuckles a few weeks back, and imo, $130 a month is way too much. I assume that's the price for 2 visits a week? Not that I would think I need more, but that's very pricey for what amounts to 8 visits.

Shlade
07-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys. Ill give BDB a look!

nj2Type-S
07-17-2010, 10:18 AM
i'll be there at 1130 today if you decide to drop by, man. i'm the dude w/ the white gloves so just let me know who you are so i can introduce you to some people.