PDA

View Full Version : Beware: Speed Camera on Barlow Trail by the airport

rc2002
07-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Sneaky bastards. They mounted a camera on a power pole and disguised it to look like a transformer. It's just before you get to the airport on Barlow Trail and it's right after the speed drops from 90km/h to 70km/h.

Just a heads up.

*edit*

Read my post below. Awaiting confirmation now. Might be mounted on something other than the power pole.

Phenix
07-14-2010, 06:58 AM
just another way the shit heads in the city are trying to steal money from people

speedog
07-14-2010, 07:23 AM
No big deal - watch your speed and the signage and you should be good to go. And for those that are caught, it's not theft, more like it's another way to keep my property taxes down just a little bit.

rc2002
07-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by speedog
No big deal - watch your speed and the signage and you should be good to go. And for those that are caught, it's not theft, more like it's another way to keep my property taxes down just a little bit.

I highly doubt the tickets from this one camera are going to reduce your property taxes at all.

Hopefully this saves some people from getting caught. This trap is much more subtle than a Dodge Caravan parked on the side of the road, or a big Silver box mounted at a traffic light.

I think most people are used to watching out for crusiers on that stretch of Barlow trail. Not a box mounted on a power line post.

speedog
07-14-2010, 07:51 AM
I will still grasp on to my faint hope though.

With respect to speeding and the devices that the police use, it's an ongoing battle with the police using more innovative tricks every year. This one sounds quite good and might be worth a small drive to take a peak at it - kudos to the police for keeping all of us on our toes (and hopefully reducing my property taxes at the same time). :D

Phenix
07-14-2010, 08:06 AM
reducing property taxes? ya right more likely increasing some clown's bonus

speedog
07-14-2010, 08:09 AM
C'mon, ya gots to dream, no?

Lex350
07-14-2010, 08:48 AM
to serve and collect

HyperZell
07-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first speed camera that we've got in Calgary? If not, where are the others? (And I'm not talking about the green light ones, but standalone ones).

kenny
07-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Someone have a picture? Didn't know they have stand alone speed cameras. I thought all we had were the "Speed on Green" ones at the intersections.

JfuckinC
07-14-2010, 10:37 AM
go light it on fire like the europeans you girls :poosie:

Xtrema
07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by speedog
C'mon, ya gots to dream, no?

Taxes rarely go lower. And speed camera revenue goes to the cops which I'm ok with, mostly.

Although, I'm starting to see a lot of those speed sensing speed signs popping up everywhere. They lit up if you are above speed limit. So I won't be surprised if they add a camera to that and start issuing tickets.

Phenix
07-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Taxes rarely go lower. And speed camera revenue goes to the cops which I'm ok with, mostly.

Although, I'm starting to see a lot of those speed sensing speed signs popping up everywhere. They lit up if you are above speed limit. So I won't be surprised if they add a camera to that and start issuing tickets.

ya they have one of those stupid things by the auto mall across from the lexus dealership

TorqueDog
07-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Although, I'm starting to see a lot of those speed sensing speed signs popping up everywhere. They lit up if you are above speed limit. I would prefer that immensely over those idiotic cameras.

2002civic
07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
How do you know it is giving out tickets?

bignerd
07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Intersection Safety Camera Locations
The Intersection Safety Camera program consists of more than 40 intersections monitored by cameras throughout the City of Calgary; in a continuing effort to promote safety and awareness in motorists at intersections. The Intersection Safety Cameras will be rotated into intersections that have experienced increases in collisions and violation rates.

Should you require any further clarification please contact Traffic Section, at
403-567-4000.

The location by the airport was not listed on their list but it also states that the list DOES NOT have to be correct and updated all the time..... It also may have something to do with the fact they are closing that road next year, maybe monitoring traffic flow or something.

Xtrema
07-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I would prefer that immensely over those idiotic cameras.

Yeah, but it got to pay for itself eventually.

Originally posted by 2002civic
How do you know it is giving out tickets?

I am not saying they are right now but I'm saying they could easily.

rc2002
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Someone have a picture? Didn't know they have stand alone speed cameras. I thought all we had were the "Speed on Green" ones at the intersections.

I don't have a picture of the actual camera. But I'll probably have a picture of my car in the mail soon. I'll confirm when I get it.

beyond_ban
07-14-2010, 12:44 PM
OP, how do you know it took a picture of you? Did you see a flash at night? As far as i know, the only way to get a speeding ticket in the mail is from a speed on green light or a caravan on the side of the road.

luxor
07-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I call :bullshit:

Unless I see pic of said photo radar mounted on the pole or a ticket from said camera.

rc2002
07-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I pulled the attached picture off googlemaps. Now that I look at it more closely (instead of in a moving car going the other direction) I think I might have the wrong description. This power line post looks like it's still in the 90km/hr zone and the transformer looks legit.

I did see a flash in my rearview from a high mounted post though. It was dawn when I was driving and I only guessed at what it was while I was driving on the way back. There's also a "SPEED" sign in the opposite direction similar to what you see at the red light camera intersections. So it might be mounted on something else.

I'll update this if/when I get my photo in the mail.

Cos
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM

beyond_ban
07-14-2010, 01:08 PM
No way in hell your getting a ticket.

speedog
07-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey, there's a camo cop car disguised as bushes on this side of that billboard.

SCHIDER23
07-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I drive through there almost everyday and I haven't seen a camera up there, and no tickets in the mail so far.:dunno:, but maybe it was added last week, since i haven't been to work for a week.:poosie:

Tik-Tok
07-14-2010, 11:55 PM
You think that transformer is a speed camera? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh christ have people gotten paranoid.

ryder_23
07-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Cos
I am surprised enmax would allow this

edit: Nevermind, yeah that is a transformer. Bet the transformer blocked the light for a second and looked like a flash.

If at dawn, the sun would be coming from the left side of that pic, if I'm correct. With that direction of travel, making this even more so the case.

revelations
07-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Uh.... ya no. Thats not a speed camera.