PDA

View Full Version : Would you take the pay cut?

Awd-Tsi
07-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Would you sacrafice a few dolla a hour in change for something that you enjoy doing, as opposed to making more doing something you don't like?

Aaron@Tuner
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
I was a management consultant for a small firm in Calgary before I started here at Tunerworks. Absolutely hated my job and now I get to see amazing cars day in and day out. :bigpimp:

drewb
07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
That's kind of a shitty question.

It depends on the pay decrease amount as well as the "utility" increase of the new job, as well as the original pay and the original job. When the marginal rate of substitution for money to job satisfaction yields better outcomes people will act differently accordingly.

AE92_TreunoSC
Depends, if you have dependants I'd stick out with the more secure of the two, if they are equal then I go for the dollar.

If you are single, then go nuts, you shouldn't do anything you hate daily. Most jobs suck, but there should be something to look forward to as part of the job.

Isaiah
Originally posted by Awd-Tsi
Would you sacrafice a few dolla a hour in change for something that you enjoy doing, as opposed to making more doing something you don't like?
Pens how much dolla you tok-in.

GQBalla
07-14-2010, 06:06 PM
ill be the first to say i would stack paper.

thats just my opinion.

for me i go where the money is.

max_boost
07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
ill be the first to say i would stack paper.

thats just my opinion.

for me i go where the money is.

YEP.

BigMass
07-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Awd-Tsi

absolutely. Money isn't everything

A790
07-14-2010, 06:23 PM
"money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want, do what I want...."

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-14-2010, 06:35 PM
if it is only $2/hr drop and you still have room to advance in the new company quite quickely,then i would go for it.

that is what did 7 months ago.took a new job that was $2.35/hr less than i was currently making.But the new company was rather assuring and their was room to advance,aswell as the new job was something that i actually wanted to do opposed to dreading each and every day in my old company.

Was by far the best decision i have made.7 months later and now i'm making $4.83/hr more than i was previously making in my old job.

EvolutionI
07-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Right now, no, since I can't really afford less.

But if I could cut down some of my debts, so that I could get by on less per month, then I would snap take it.

89s1
07-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I took a 2 dollar per hour pay cut to get into my current job. Got a $3/hr raise at my first performance review after 3 months at the new job... So I'd go for it if it's something you're passionate about. You never know what can happen.

Jeremiah
07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I said no, but its dependent on how much money we're talking.

If its a couple bucks an hour, probably, but if it equates to ~10k a year then absolutely I would stay miserable in my job but happy when I punch out

hampstor
07-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Not quite the same... but I left a higher paying, higher profile job for something that pays significantly less and had almost no visibility into the industry. I did it so I could do what I wanted - come home from work and spend time with my family.

Chandler_Racing
07-18-2010, 03:13 PM
100% Yes.

100k+ is nice, but not everyone needs it.

npham
07-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Depends on how much you are making in reality. If it was -$2.00/hour(gross per year is around 4100) and you are making only making $10/hour then you can't really justify it sometimes. On the other hand, if you are making $40/hour then that -$2.00/hour is nothing to be happy and love what you are doing. It's all relative.

leftwing
07-18-2010, 07:23 PM
i would only take a pay decrease if the new job had more growth potential. otherwise like others said, i go where the money is.

kamakurakid
07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Life is too short to be doing anything you do not love and to be working with people you are not too fond of. Take an interesting job over being a someone's bitch in the office factory for mere tailings. The money is there when you are in flow, otherwise you are a pod waiting for a cancer tumour as a rescue package.

We all have choices.

Rat Fink
07-18-2010, 11:26 PM

broken_legs
07-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I took a 20K/year paycut to do something I enjoy. Now, 6 months later I got a couple significant raises and am making more than I was before.

Its worth it for sure. I come home from work happy and that has been a huge difference in my life.

You should make a thread about all the jobs you've had. I would read it.

thepyrofish
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Depends. Right now with the little woman on mat leave I can't really afford a pay cut. When we're both working again, maybe. Still depends on the specifics. It's all well and good to say that in theory I would rather earn less and be happier, but there is a point where making less makes your life uncomfortable and then you're unhappy anyway.

If I were grossing 100K a year, yeah I'd take a pay cut to have a more fulfilling job. If I were making 30K? Fuck that, I gotta pay my bills.

CUG
07-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by A790
"money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want, do what I want...."

"Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can be unhappy in nicer places, with nicer things"

"Money doesn't buy happiness; neither does poverty".

I'm make big-paper like pancakes, stacking it up.

I do everything. No dependents, so I don't care, as long as the bills are up, and I can travel.

arian_ma
07-19-2010, 04:01 PM
I think a lot of people are talking outta their asses here (including me) in that they say yes, obviously happiness is more important, but do not have the real life experience to know that while money can't buy you happiness, lack of money can buy you sadness REAAAAAAAAAL quick.

Tarrantula
07-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by A790

Werd. I knew I loved that song for a reason....

masoncgy
07-19-2010, 04:34 PM
I've done it before and I'm sure I'll do it again. I'm a 'changling'... like to change things around me all the time.

I get bored and unhappy after awhile. I already left a 6 figure salary to work for about half of that in an entirely different industry... and I'm glad that I did.

That said, I've also left that particular industry behind... though I think I make more money doing what I do today... so it's been a good move... but the times are a changin' again.

hampstor
07-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I think a lot of people are talking outta their asses here (including me) in that they say yes, obviously happiness is more important, but do not have the real life experience to know that while money can't buy you happiness, lack of money can buy you sadness REAAAAAAAAAL quick.

Oh yeah - not having money caused problems alright. It was definately difficult and one of the more trying times in my life. Our sequence of events was: me taking a pay cut to free up some time for a family, buying a larger home, having a child, going from dual income to single income. It really pushed us to our edge financially.

We however realized it would be short term and made some drastic lifestyle changes to accomodate it.

2 1/2 yrs later, now making more money than I would've (had I stayed at MemEx), still less than when we were both working, however things are definately turning around for us financially.

BigMass
07-19-2010, 05:05 PM
We went from talking about taking a pay cut to comparing being rich to a homeless bum on the street. How did that happen? :rolleyes:

Mibz
07-19-2010, 06:22 PM
I switched companies and kept the same pay instead of sticking around for a substantial raise to work somewhere I wanted, doing the same stuff that I enjoyed doing. I still make less than I would have at the original company but coming to work is a lot easier.

Rat Fink
07-19-2010, 07:11 PM

ddduke
07-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Nope, go where the money is.

Tattooing is my passion but I wont do it because I get paid much more where I currently am.

But I guess it all depends on how minimal the change is, if I only lost $4100/year like someone else mentioned above then I would do what I love.

Skyline.addict
07-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Just do what makes you happy, that is the point of life :dunno:

Shlade
07-23-2010, 04:49 AM
Nope, Ill stick to hating my job still doing my work and keep my mouth shut and get paid!

copynpaste
07-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Theres nothing worse than working a job that you hate or grown bored of. I mean waking up and even motivating yourself to get to work everyday is hard and demeaning enough as is.

Its all in the reports, long terms effects are absolutely devastating. Same with people who over work themseves into oblviion.

derran.m
07-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Yep ... just accepted a new job that it will be a pay cut .. sort of ... currently working for salary, when I calculate my wage (based on 40 hr work weeks), I am going down $2 an hour with the new job, but the new job is hourly as opposed to salary, and lots of overtime and advancement opportunity, so IMO it is the smarter decision - and yes I have a wife, kid, and a mortgage.

Tomaz
07-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I am not surviving on my current paycheck, there is no way i will accept a paycut.

At this point, I am going where the money goes.

95teetee
07-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Yep. In fact, I did about 3 years ago. Dropped $8 an hour leaving an oilfield operating job (absolutely hated it) to become a glazier (like it a lot more). Realized I was wasting a lot of money (if I'd spent then like I spend now my mortgage would be paid off lol).
Of course, raises have made back half of that $8 since then (fortunately).

-also now I can do other things like make decals and custom mirrors and such on the side...