PDA

View Full Version : DRL - Why?

dkatwa
07-15-2010, 01:24 AM
I am in the UK and understand that Canadian cars must have daylight running lights fitted. I take it to mean that the lights must come on whenever the engine is on (or am I wrong??!!).

If this is the case, may I ask why? Does the weather change in such a short period of time that drivers do not have the time (or sense) to turn the lights on?

The reason I am asking is that surely there must be a fuel cost to pay for these running lights? I mean, how much fuel (and CO2) would be saved by not having these running lights on when the are not required.

Just a thought.....

Justin-88
07-15-2010, 01:29 AM
Well eh we do er so we can see dem deer ! dem fuckers jump just aboot out from anyweere.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-15-2010, 02:56 AM
Im in the UK right now too, and I think there should be DRL here, because some people never turn there lights on it seems, and are a hazard to others. Personally think DRL should be mandatory everywhere.

JordanAndrew
07-15-2010, 03:03 AM
The main reason why we have DRL is for safety. It is easier to spot a vehicle with DRL on than the ones that don't.

It was weird for me at first when I moved here a decade ago but it all makes sense to have DRL on.

The lights are usually dimmed so fuel consumption isn't really that significant compared to having the lights off.

RecoilS14
07-15-2010, 04:12 AM
There is no "fuel cost" to run any of the electronics in your car. The engine produces the 2hp required to power everything. It doesn't cost more fuel to run your a/c and it's a bigger power hog than anything.

dkatwa
07-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys...gosh, it must be 3 to 6am in the morning in Canada.....! I appreciate your replies so early.....

yes, I agree that some folks never seem to turn their lights on. My BMW has auto lights and sometimes they come on in fine conditions...I have to manually switch them off!

What is the law regarding hitting animals in Canada? Do you have to stop and wait for police to come or do you notify the police after the event? In Australia, they have 'roobars' i.e. Kangaroo bars, fitted to the front of their cars for this purpose.

When I came to Canada in 2007 for a vacation, I did not see many animals beside the road, although much of the driving was during the day. Maybe they come out more at night??

RecoilS14
07-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Police only come if someone is injured. Usually people will drag the dead animal on to the side of the road/highway and the carrion eaters do the rest.

You shouldn't be turning your headlights off friend, they make it easie for other motorist to see you, which is why we have DRL's

dkatwa
07-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Thanks Recoils14...thing is, when the lights come on automatically in fine conditions, it seems superfluous....and here in the UK, people probably think I don't know the lights are on so probably think I am not in control in some way, shape or form??

mobius
07-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Driving lights are a safety feature. Like it or not, it is much easier to see an approaching vehicle with its lights on, regardless of the weather conditions.

We also have vehicles with automatic lights. However, they are a crutch and I can't count the number of times I have come across people who don't have their lights on in dark or very low visibility conditions (heavy fog or rain) because they expect the car to do it for them.

Thanks Recoils14...thing is, when the lights come on automatically in fine conditions, it seems superfluous....and here in the UK, people probably think I don't know the lights are on so probably think I am not in control in some way, shape or form??

I don't follow the logic linking headlights being on with an uncontrolled car? I turn my driving lights and or headlights on often when I'm driving, even on bright sunny days, because I'd rather be a little more visible and possibly avoid getting smucked.

As for animals, almost everywhere is rural Canada is prime for roadkill. They are more prevalent in the early morning, late evening.

bignerd
07-15-2010, 07:27 AM
I can't find the statistic but your visibility to other motorist, even during the day in sunlight is substantially increased with your headlights on.

Daytime running lights were first mandated and required in Scandinavian countries due to the lack of daylight during winter hours... we also have less daylight here during the winter however I am not sure how we compare with some other countries.

I have even heard it recommended for motorcyclists to ride with their brights on during the day (they only have one headlamp but your visibility is increased that much more).

Generally if you hit an animal and kill it, take some pics to prove you hit an animal and you are on your way if your car still runs. If you are hurt or you car is not operational or the animal is still alive(but severely injured) you should call the police.

dkatwa
07-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the reply guys...I agree 100% with the view regarding DLR......

I note the other comments too..thanks for taking the time to write them...

I am coming to Vancouver on vacation in three weeks time and can't wait to drive on the wide- open roads once again. The UK does not have the space that Canada/ USA does.

Cos
07-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
There is no "fuel cost" to run any of the electronics in your car. The engine produces the 2hp required to power everything. It doesn't cost more fuel to run your a/c and it's a bigger power hog than anything.

That isn't completly true. There is a fuel cost to running all those things, however it is very small. You dont get energy for free.

If you get a chance try this, free-wheel an alternator, then connect it to a big electrical load and try and spin it. It does take some force to spin it with a load on it.

dkatwa
07-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks Cos...I am not too familiar with the internal workings of a car's electrical and might end up frazzling myself! but thanks for the comments.

Cos
07-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by dkatwa
Thanks Cos...I am not too familiar with the internal workings of a car's electrical and might end up frazzling myself! but thanks for the comments.

No problem, a lot of cars have LED DRL now (audi, Merc) to save on replacement and to have a very small DRL load on the system.

Also comparing fuel useage on how much energy AC takes to run (not sure how accurate the tests were....) anything below 80 km/h it is better to have your windows open (increased drag) then to use your AC (increased engine load). Anything over 80 the load on the engine is less than what happens from the increased drag.

dkatwa
07-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Cheers Cos.

In London, the air quality is so bad that I have air con on all the time in summer with the air recirculation mode in 'auto'. Mind you, we don't often get that many days where we need air con.

Awd-Tsi
07-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
There is no "fuel cost" to run any of the electronics in your car. The engine produces the 2hp required to power everything. It doesn't cost more fuel to run your a/c and it's a bigger power hog than anything. Actually ac does use a good percent more fuel then having it off, stereo and other electronics won't matter

wintonyk
07-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Cos

No problem, a lot of cars have LED DRL now (audi, Merc) to save on replacement and to have a very small DRL load on the system.

Also comparing fuel useage on how much energy AC takes to run (not sure how accurate the tests were....) anything below 80 km/h it is better to have your windows open (increased drag) then to use your AC (increased engine load). Anything over 80 the load on the engine is less than what happens from the increased drag.

Mythbusters confirmed this i think. They did MPH at 50 IIRC so that 80 would be pretty accurate.

bspot
07-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Another really good time to have DRL's is when the sun is low in the sky in the early morning or late evening. It's still plenty bright out, but everything in the horizon is silhouetted and hard to see. DRL's can definitely help you spot a vehicle in those conditions.

heavyD
07-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I laugh at all the threads in US car forums based on disabling DRL's. They absolutely hate them down there and I just don't understand why. I think they should be mandatory everywhere as they really do help in making oncoming traffic more visible in any conditions.

g-m
07-15-2010, 01:30 PM
yea and then you get idiots in BC who drive in a downpour on 2 lane roads in old trucks and are too stupid to turn on their lights. So I'll go to pass and don't see their shitty truck until theres barely time to brake and get back in my lane. This happens FREQUENTLY in the Elk valley. It rains hard enough there that you pretty much can't see an oncoming vehicle without lights on even during the middle of the day.

I don't have DRLs because my summer car was built before the cutoff and its a north american car. I still turn on my lights every time before I start driving.