PDA

View Full Version : Importing Lexus ISF from USA

S2Kok
07-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey guys,

Before I go through with this, I just want to make sure I have investigated all that is required to bring an ISF into Canada.

As far as I know, RIV has no limitations on bringing in the ISF and it will pass. Additionally, the only thing I know I will need is a clearance letter for the sticky gas pedal recall.

Aside from this, the guy owes 20 grand on the car with a loan he took out for it at his local bank. Does anyone know what I have to do here because he still owes money on the car? He claims title transfer will take less then 15 minutes and will be done at his bank - I assume once I hand over the money and he pays off his $20k owing??

Anything else I need to be aware of or concerned about?

Thanks in advance,

freshprince1
07-15-2010, 08:11 AM
I have not bought a car from the US before, but I would think it works similar to Canada wherein, once you give him the money, he pays the bank what he owes and the car title is cleared.

That being said, I would wait to find out for sure. You don't want something to go wrong here.

Good luck, and nice choice. Post some pictures.

RecoilS14
07-15-2010, 08:12 AM
^^ I posted the same thing at the same time.

2nd?

911fever
07-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Make sure the car is inspected at a Lexus dealer beforehand. Make sure you both go to the bank together and pay it off. And hella sick deals on IS-F's right now in the US with hella amount of savings, enjoy

SilverGS
07-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Are you paying him when you get there or before?

Since he owes money to the bank the bank will have the Car Title with them. You don't need to get the title transfered to your name since you are bringing it back to Canada. All the border requires is the Recall Letter, Car Titile, and Bill of Sale from the previous owner.

Thing is you need to send them faxes of those documents 72 hours before hand so if you go down and get the title you will need to spend a few days in the states.

When I bought my IS the guy still owed Lexus financial so all I did was send the money straight to Lexus Financial and they mailed the title straight to me so when I went down I had the title already in hand. Not sure if this guys local bank will do the same for you.

adidas
07-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
Make sure the car is inspected at a Lexus dealer beforehand. Make sure you both go to the bank together and pay it off. And hella sick deals on IS-F's right now in the US with hella amount of savings, enjoy

thats hella cool bro

Jeremiah
07-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Are you paying him when you get there or before?

Since he owes money to the bank the bank will have the Car Title with them. You don't need to get the title transfered to your name since you are bringing it back to Canada. All the border requires is the Recall Letter, Car Titile, and Bill of Sale from the previous owner.

Wrong, a signed copy of the title over to your name needs to be faxed to the border 72 hours prior to crossing, and the original must be present when crossing.

S2Kok
07-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. Yes, I found a primo black ISF with only 17k miles for a great deal.

I believe the car already has DRL so no need to hassel with that.

SilverGS - are you sure the bank will have the title on hand with them that they can provide to me at the moment we do the transaction?

I was speaking with another friend about this and he mentioned it may take up to two weeks to obtain the title....and i dont want to be sitting in the states for 2 weeks. ;P

S2Kok
07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
If the current owner has an oustanding on the balance of his loan for this car - and say the bank does have the title on hand, all they need to do is sign it over to me correct? Or how does this process happen? Does my name actually go on to the title?

SilverGS
07-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Jeremiah

Wrong, a signed copy of the title over to your name needs to be faxed to the border 72 hours prior to crossing, and the original must be present when crossing.

Sorry I was not more clear. Yes you need to get the title signed before faxing it to the border but you do not need to transfer the title into your name.

Just like in canada the previous owner needs to sign the registration over to the new owner the same is done on the title in the states.

What I meant is you do not need to go to the DMV in the states and have the title amended to your name officially.

SilverGS
07-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by S2Kok
Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. Yes, I found a primo black ISF with only 17k miles for a great deal.

I believe the car already has DRL so no need to hassel with that.

SilverGS - are you sure the bank will have the title on hand with them that they can provide to me at the moment we do the transaction?

I was speaking with another friend about this and he mentioned it may take up to two weeks to obtain the title....and i dont want to be sitting in the states for 2 weeks. ;P

I do not know where the bank may have the title.

When I bought mine I sent the money directly to Lexus financial and yes I had to wait a couple weeks but they mailed the title straight to me in Canada and not to the current owner.

I would check with his bank and see what their process is. They may have it at the bank or offsite somewhere.

After I received the title I faxed it and a bill of sale I made up to the owner who signed it and faxed it back to me. I then signed them and faxed the border along with the recall letter I got from Lexus.

The key for me obviously was Lexus Financial willing to send me the title in Canada after I paid the remaining balance. Afterwards I just brought the remaining cash with me to pay the guy the reamining agreed amount and got the car.

max_boost
07-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Find another IS-F that doesn't have a lien on it.

Team_Mclaren
07-15-2010, 11:28 AM
start reading:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/jaymez-importing-from-the-states-thread-/

Team_Mclaren
07-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Find another IS-F that doesn't have a lien on it.

depending on the state, QFT.

MaxxLee
07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey guys kinda off topic but where is the closest state to import a car? Seattle?

Team_Mclaren
07-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by MaxxLee
Hey guys kinda off topic but where is the closest state to import a car? Seattle?

http://maps.google.com/

Sebasshole
07-15-2010, 11:35 AM
might be alittle harder to find a ISF that was not financed but less risk of some guy dooping you on some money.

j.garner
07-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by MaxxLee

Seattle isnt a state. montana would be the closest.

max_boost
07-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Or just pay Team_Mclaren to take care of everything.

VWEvo
07-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Or just pay Team_Mclaren to take care of everything. :thumbsup:

S2Kok
07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
start reading:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/jaymez-importing-from-the-states-thread-/

Thanks, but I already did that and my questions was a little more specific then "how do I important"

My main concern is this guy still owing 20 grand to his bank on this car and the best way to obtain the title.

I plan to be there at the bank and hand over my bank draft to his bank and be there while he pays the remaining balance owing. AT this point, the title will be handed over to me. I will surely have the bill of sale done up and signed prior to this to make sure everything goes well.

:)

Team_Mclaren
07-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Everything you need to know, incluing buying a car with lien is covered in that thread.

Banks don't hold titles AT the bank, you'll end up waiting for days, weeks or even months for that title even after paying it off.

rusich
07-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Everything you need to know, incluing buying a car with lien is covered in that thread.

Banks don't hold titles AT the bank, you'll end up waiting for days, weeks or even months for that title even after paying it off.

When I was picking my RAV4, that the guy still owed money to the bank, the title was held at the bank. Just try to make sure that the title will be at that brunch at the time of purchase.

Team_Mclaren
07-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by rusich

When I was picking my RAV4, that the guy still owed money to the bank, the title was held at the bank. Just try to make sure that the title will be at that brunch at the time of purchase.

again, what state? thats the ultimate question

rusich
07-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I picked mine in New Hampshire in 2008.

S2Kok
07-19-2010, 07:36 AM

I called the sellers bank directly to confirm the title is there on hand. They have confirmed they have the title there with them and will be signed over to me when him and I go into his bank at the same time to do all the financials. ;)

S2Kok
07-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I do have another questions now.

HOw does transporting it (driving the car back) work? If I dont have the bill of sale etc before going down to pick the car up....how can I get temporary "in transit" certificate?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

dezmarez
07-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Make sure you post pics when you bring this car back!

S2Kok
07-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Really hoping someone can chime in before I leave Friday. I really need to know how I go about transporting (driving) the car back here?

IVe got my pink card and insurance set up (dont have the bill of sale yet and wont until I get down there). Basically - Im looking for some answers on how to go about getting a temporary in transit for here, and for in the states...

Thanks.

arian_ma
07-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Are you talking about insurance? All you need to put insurance on a vehicle is the VIN.

S2Kok
07-28-2010, 09:12 AM
No - I mean for transporting (insurance) through the US. Its ok, i found the answer. All I need to do is go to the DMV to get a temporary transport thing that is about 15 dollars.

Im wondering though if I can get the CND in transit certificate without having the bill of sale.

boarderfatty
07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Depending on what bank he has financing through the title could be held at the branch he initiated his financing through or at a main office.

If you are paying with a draft/ certified cheque/ money order make it payable to the financial institution holding the loan and the person (eg Bank of America and joe schmoe, not or not / make sure it is and) that way he is forced to pay of the loan off and get the title released, limits your exposure for scam where you get a car and a $20,000 lein on it. If it is made as or or / or just in their name they can take the money on their own and run leaving you hanging.

If the local branch holds the title it should be no problem getting it. if it is as a main branch you should be able to get a copy that will suffice until the bank mails you the original.

With the title needed for the border, you do not need you name, but it does need to be signed over to you, the same as here using the registration signed over as a bill of sale.

S2Kok
08-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey guys,

So I just wanted to come back and inform you all of my experience.

Getting through the border was a BREEZE. The time that it did take, was only from having to go back to the US side for the offical "export" stamp on the title.....I had to wait in line to get back to the US side. After that, it was 10 mins max for the guy to check the paper work and stamp it, then another 10 mins on the cnd side to fill out the papers and pay the gst / duty.

I crossed the border 1 day early, but it came with a cost. $400.

I faxed the following information to them:

-Cover Letter stating my eta and purpose for crossing with all vehicle and sellers info, as well as my own personal info

-Title - front and back copy

-Bill of sale

-US border Export form / worksheet

-Vehicle Diagnostic report showing the car was all good from Lexus

-Clearance letter for the vehicle sticky gas pedal recall

When I was at the border, this is what helped the transaction go smoother:

-Printed copy of Craigslist Add

-Payment (wire transfer) receipt

I also had additional info on hand such as my pink card for insuarance, In transit permit, and flight itineraries.

Pic of the rear end:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/Jacked101/ISF-1.jpg

Lex350
08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Very nice. So how much did you save by bringing one up from the US over buying local?

S2Kok
08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I saved enough to make the process worth while. ;)

Redlyne_mr2
08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
You sure about that? If Im not mistaken US iSFs sell for 38+ USD. Buddy of mine sold his Canadian F about 6 months ago for $50K CND full loaded original owner etc. Plus you cant buy Lexus extended warranty on US cars which is sort of important on an F. Sick car nonetheless man.

2EFNFAST
08-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Plus you cant buy Lexus extended warranty on US cars which is sort of important on an F.

Expensive to fix?

Lex350
08-04-2010, 11:37 AM

wasn't really looking for hard figures...more of a ballpark.

no problem.

freshprince1
08-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the update! Congrats on the new car. I'm also interested to know a ballpark savings figure. About $5K?

RZRSHARP_SVX
08-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Expensive to fix?

its Lexus of course its expensive to fix. brakes dont last to long and tires dont either and so on. but when you are getting a car like that they all have their trade offs.

TYMSMNY
08-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Brakes and Tires aren't under warranty no matter what anyways.

Nice ISF by the way, 38k + gst+ import fee + gas + plane ticket + exhange rate... I think you broken even.

S2Kok
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

You sure about that? If Im not mistaken US iSFs sell for 38+ USD. Buddy of mine sold his Canadian F about 6 months ago for $50K CND full loaded original owner etc. Plus you cant buy Lexus extended warranty on US cars which is sort of important on an F. Sick car nonetheless man.

Umm...Yup. I AM sure about that. ;)

And good luck finding an ISF out of the states for 38 with less then 30-40k miles.

Mine has 19k miles now that I drove it home. www.cars.com - go there and look for the cheapest ISF on there.....30k ISF's are still going for 42-44 grand. Add exchange, duty, gst, travel costs on top of that.......

I lucked out and found a pristine condition one with low miles and got a great price on it, but by no means was it close to 38k. If you can find a mint condition ISF....FULLY LOADED....with less then 20k miles for 38k or less....let me know, Ill buy a second one. ;)

For those asking how much was saved - that all depends on options, condition, and miles.

A comparable car to the one I bought (actually exactly the same) with same amount of miles and assuming same condition....is selling on kijiji for 58,900.

If you really want to know how much I saved - you can pm me and i will happily give you a break down of the costs and hurdles. I just rather not post it up in here.

heavyD
08-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Very nice, I really like these cars. I still think Canadian cars are way overpriced compared to their American counterparts so it's good to see some people can still save money bringing cars across the border.

2EFNFAST
08-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by RZRSHARP_SVX

its Lexus of course its expensive to fix. brakes dont last to long and tires dont either and so on. but when you are getting a car like that they all have their trade offs.

No sure what that has to do with warranty.

S2Kok
08-05-2010, 11:45 AM
warranty on this car is for 3 more years or up to 50k miles......ive got a while before that runs out. ;)

Lexus and Audi's warranties are transferable to new owners, even when they come across the border.....for those who are interested in knowing.

max_boost
08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Very nice, I really like these cars. I still think Canadian cars are way overpriced compared to their American counterparts so it's good to see some people can still save money bringing cars across the border.

Except the rear has no room. If a 5'5 155lb guy aka me feels cramped back there, I dunno about the rest of you! haha

Otherwise the car is GREAT!

Congrats OP, enjoy. Glad everything worked out so well.

heavyD
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Except the rear has no room. If a 5'5 155lb guy aka me feels cramped back there, I dunno about the rest of you! haha

Otherwise the car is GREAT!

Congrats OP, enjoy. Glad everything worked out so well.

My kids are under 5 they wouldn't mind.:)

911fever
08-05-2010, 02:35 PM
If he got it for like 36-40k plus GST + $204 RIV + $100 A/C tax + $300 plane ticket he would saved a fair bit

S2Kok
08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
If he got it for like 36-40k plus GST + $204 RIV + $100 A/C tax + $300 plane ticket he would saved a fair bit

Also to add to the above...plane ticket was actually$450, 4% for exchange rate conversion, plus there was also 6% duty, $350 in hotel costs, plus meals and fuel. ;) And like I said - if i could find another one for 36-38 with these options and miles / condition....I would buy another one. lol

Thanks for the positive comments guys - I highly recommend anyone considering buying an ISF to import one. Or, even if you are on the fence about buying one....GET ONE! ;)