PDA

View Full Version : Barking dogs at night

frozenrice
07-15-2010, 11:27 PM
do people let their dogs bark endlessly? I'm trying to get to sleep but someone's dog in our neighborhood has been barking for the last 30-45 mins. I'd close the window but it's hot and stuffy in the house so I need the air flow. :banghead:

SKR
07-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Maybe you can conjure up a scheme with a friend and a mailman to kidnap the dog and take it out to the country.

master hec0
07-15-2010, 11:57 PM
just get a log book and record the times and duration of the barking once you have a good record head over the the rcmp/bylaw office. they will read your logs and usually come to your house to hear it for a little while. then they will issue a ticket 1st offense is 200-500$ i don't remember and the 2nd offense is 750$. i know this because im going through this bullshit with my new neighbors too bad they pleaded not guilty so i have to show up in court but they do seem to stop barking for a while after each ticket.

JordanAndrew
07-16-2010, 12:11 AM
try to get a video clip showing what time it is by showing a TV show/clock as well for evidence.

dandia89
07-16-2010, 12:37 AM
ask dexter what to do

Melinda
07-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Get the address and call it in to bylaw. For the first call, they don't really need a record or journal of days/times. They'll probably ask you about it and then suggest you start a journal of some kind, but after that first call they will send out a letter to the owners letting them know there has been a complaint and if the issue isn't fixed within a certain time period, further penalties will occur. With some people, all they need is a wake up call, so give it a try.

dirtsniffer
07-16-2010, 12:54 AM
go tell him his dog barks all night and see if that helps. you probably tried that already though

ragu
07-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Shotgun!

bignerd
07-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Go ring their door bell and tell them if you can't sleep neither should they. Ask them politely to shut their dog up. Should be enough to embarass them into bringing him in at night.

dkatwa
07-16-2010, 01:16 AM
How about asking the owner the reason why the dog is barking? Something like 'I hear the dog barking at night. Do you think there is a problem with burglers or cayotes or something?'

I think this is a pleasant way to inform him of the nuisance and would foster better relations.

My tuppence worth........

frozenrice
07-16-2010, 06:28 AM
I would have gone and said something, but I don't know exactly which house the barking was coming from. I wasn't about to go for a walk around the neighbourhood to find out. I ended up closing the window.

jackdaniels
07-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Have you tried talking to the dog?

Jetta-2.0
07-16-2010, 06:40 AM
call 311, maybe they will make a new law just for you to sleep like a baby and maybe kill the dog?

ianmcc
07-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by SKR
Maybe you can conjure up a scheme with a friend and a mailman to kidnap the dog and take it out to the country.
I think that's a great idea.
Look at it this way. You drop the dog off in front of somebody's house in the country. They find it and adopt it. Now the dog is prancing in the fields. Dancing and prancing. Fresh air. Dandelions. You're doing this dog a real favor.

:thumbsup:

C_Dave45
07-16-2010, 07:26 AM
FTW

https://www.signet.net.au/App_Assets/user/products/full/3M_disposable_earplugs_10297.jpg

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/309626/are-you-a-light-sleeper/

Penis McNickels
07-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Have your big, burly, construction worker neighbour go over there and threaten to kick his ass.

It worked for me.

Plus a few complaints to bylaw helped as well. Eventually the family got rid of the dog (which is a bit sad, because it's the owners that failed, not the dog...)

Now I'm just waiting for them to get rid of their turd of a kid...

Sugarphreak
07-16-2010, 07:59 AM

JRSC00LUDE
07-16-2010, 09:23 AM
There wasn't a problem I had with my white trash neighbours across the street, including an incessant barking dog, that wasn't solved by standing on my front step and yelling at them a couple of times. (which by all admission was pretty white trash of me! hahaha)

Seems even white trash turns red pretty quickly when they get publicly embarrassed and realize the whole neighbourhood is offended by their lack of respect.

Unknown303
07-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Call Bylaws.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Animal+and+Bylaw+Services/Bylaw+Services/Bylaws+of+Interest/Dogs.htm

Do this enough nights in a row and I'm sure they'll get the picture.

n1zm0
07-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
Get the address and call it in to bylaw. For the first call, they don't really need a record or journal of days/times.

who do i call for the gdamned crow's nest in the huge tree in front of my townhouse? :( i think it's worse than hearing a rooster in the morning ffs

i actually just need a portable air conditioner, OP if your window is open because of the heat, this might be a solution, i know it's the only reason i have the windows open at night + the 3 fans we have going all at once. probably going to get one this weekend because it's to that point for me.

rx7boi
07-16-2010, 09:49 AM
frozenrice, did you run out of extra room in your freezer?

e31
07-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

who do i call for the gdamned crow's nest in the huge tree in front of my townhouse? :( i think it's worse than hearing a rooster in the morning ffs

I know what you are going through, and it is a huge pain. Last year I had a nest in the tree right next to my bedroom window. They would always be walking on the cedar shakes creating a shit-ton of noise. Those bastards are clever too, and for some reason they knew to fly away when I was carrying my rifle (but would linger and swoop when you turned your back to them).

Unfortunately I could never kill the two adults; but I did get rid of them from the area and heres how: Knock down the nest/decoy nests and kill the babies before they are old enough to fly. The adults will be super pissed for about a day, then leave.

Your neighbors will then send you gifts & their thanks.

AndyL
07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Fawk, man up - go ring their doorbell and talk to em. Fucking people who think the best solution to their problems is to call 311 first are spineless twits.

And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

n1zm0
07-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by e31
Those bastards are clever too, and for some reason they knew to fly away when I was carrying my rifle (but would linger and swoop when you turned your back to them).

i actually told my gf i would go out this weekend to crappy tire, stare at a Remington or Crosman air rifle and then at a portable airconditioner and see which one suits my life best lol all because of fken crows ffs

Lex350
07-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Fawk, man up - go ring their doorbell and talk to em. Fucking people who think the best solution to their problems is to call 311 first are spineless twits.

And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

THIS!....people love to complain but are to chicken shit to deal with it themselves. That should always be the first action. If you don't get results then take it to the next level. Back in the day people actually talked to their neighbors to resolve issues. Today it is straight to bylaw to solve everything.

Kennyredline
07-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I went hiking last weekend, and my dogs were barking all night. Nobody complained though.:poosie:

FreakinPrince
07-16-2010, 04:00 PM
what area is the OP in?

speedog
07-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Try using a deterrent device like a BarkSmart or BarkStop

http://www.smarthome.com/61392/Stop-Dog-Barking-Bark-Smart-Deluxe/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/6117V/Bark-Stop/p.aspx These don't necessarily work for every dog, but I've had customers who have bought outdoor versions of these and pointed them into their neighbor's backyards and they've subsequently gotten the peace and quiet they were looking for.

BTW, teenagers don't like these either as many of them still have good enough hearing to hear the frequency these things put out. No problem for me though as I gots to have it about a foot from my ear to notice it and even then it's not loud enough to be annoying.

Graham_A_M
07-16-2010, 04:43 PM
You can have them fined.
Document the times carefully (do not exaggerate them, otherwise it can be thrown out if your its been proven inaccurate).
Then call animal control whereas you'll have to fax/email the document over and they will be fined.

I've done this probably a dozen times to various idiot neighboors I seem to be stuck with, and it works very well.
They've been slapped with $2k worth in fines over the years, they learn quite quickly. :)

frozenrice
07-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by speedog

BTW, teenagers don't like these either as many of them still have good enough hearing to hear the frequency these things put out. No problem for me though as I gots to have it about a foot from my ear to notice it and even then it's not loud enough to be annoying.

Haha, is there anyway to put something like this on beyond?

Anyways, I think some of you missed the point. I was able to deal with it (read my second post). If I knew which house it was coming from I would have gone over and said something. The point of the question was how can people ignore their dog for that long? Why do people ignore their dogs like that?

speedog
07-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Same reason they ignore their kids as well - they're just not responsible adults/parents.