PDA

View Full Version : Dad has difficulty finding a job

orange
07-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Hi everyone.

Ok here is the situation.

My father is a Reservoir Engineer (Phd/Msc), he's been a prof at a few Canadian Colleges and Universities, and decided to make the switch to Industry back in '04 which caused us to move here to Calgary. He signed with a few companies based on contract work for companies such as EnCana, Sproule for a good two years. Things were good, until 2006.
My father hasn't been able to get any kind of work and it's really hurting. My father has been trying ever since (yes, he's ~50 years old) to get a job with a O/G company but no luck. He's even tried applying to the university but they won't even respond to his phonecalls/emails. I don't understand it.

Is it because of his age - only 15 years left? experience? maybe they see him as being overqualified, so then they'd have to dish out big bucks? (i'm sure he wouldn't mind something more reasonable from a company standpoint!)

My father is doing everything he can as is the rest of the family including me. I go to school fulltime and had two pt jobs to support - but got burnt out, and I am just taking classes trying to finish up my degree (last year) and hopefully find something for myself and help the family that way.
Anyone want to shed light, on why companies aren't hiring such a guy ( a great guy). He is probably the smartest guy I'll ever know, and he knows reservoirs, simulations, studies, like the back of his hand. Hell, He knew what BP did when the well blew up and called it on the spot, that they were using improper drilling fluid and/or techniques)

It just makes me frustrated that such an person (such as him) is not getting a job...totally destroys the idea of working hard and attaining an education will get you somewhere. He's been pretty down and depressed lately, actually for a long while - and it worries me...If there are any HR guys out there; could you please shed some light on why you would/wouldn't hire such a person? or anyone for that matter?
Thank you so much!

I guess this was more of a rant/venting session for me. :(

kaput
07-16-2010, 02:50 AM

ExtraSlow
07-16-2010, 07:14 AM
I've been in the industry for a little over five years, and I've NEVER even met a Ph.D. who worked outside of the university system.
It's a pretty rare position that requires that type of educational background, and I'm guessing those vacancies don't come up very often.

Good luck to your dad.

kaput
07-16-2010, 08:12 AM

msommers
07-16-2010, 08:15 AM
My manager has his phD and a few others have their Msc. My guess to why is probably the company thinks he'll want too much money, but I'm a newbie to industry.

Awd-Tsi
07-16-2010, 09:09 AM
He could get a job parts driving at napa or bumper to bumper. They hire older people.

jazzyb
07-16-2010, 09:38 AM
I think your dad needs to follow the consulting path?

Try companies like Petrel Robertson, Boyd, Golders?

arian_ma
07-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Is it possible for him to downplay his experience/education? Just say he's an engineer and leave out the Phd part?

PeterGTiR
07-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Some accounting firms have Scientific Research and Experimental Development tax practices. They work with companies to get the credit and have teams that consist of an accountant and an engineer. Your dad might be able to look into something like this.

This is an old job posting but it outlines the requirement for an engineer:

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/11135444

Our multidisciplinary tax team, specializing in tax credits for scientific research and experimental development (SR&ED), is currently seeking an experienced Engineer to deliver first-rate advisory services to our clients. We offer an excellent opportunity for talented engineers and scientists to play a key role in Ernst & Young's rapidly growing and dynamic SR&ED practice. Either individually or as part of a team, you will be interacting regularly with clients at the forefront of technology.

orange
07-16-2010, 05:39 PM
All these suggestions are great,

I'll forward these on to him with the names of the company's and UofC researcher.

:thumbsup: