PDA

View Full Version : Driving time from Invermere to Kelowna?

~Leah~
07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, I'm just trying to plan out my golf trip and I'm wondering if any of you know what the driving time is like from Invermere to Kelowna. Google maps says about 6.5 hrs... is this accurate?

I only ask because I know the drive time from Calgary to Vancouver on there says 12 hours and I've never heard anyone say it really takes THAT long. I don't plan on driving like an idiot... just need an approximation. Thanks!

Cos
07-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Problem is there is no way to go straight west from Invermere to Kelowna. You either go north to Golden (which is about 1.5 hours) or go south through Cranbrook which is far.

6.5 sounds about right.

Do you want speed or a scenic drive, because Highway 3 (go to Crawford Bay ferry and then to Nakusp) is really nice and a fun road, but slow.

masoncgy
07-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Sometimes, it can take 12 hours to get from Calgary to Vancouver. Try heading out on the Friday before a long weekend in the summer to see for yourself. ;)

6.5 hrs to get from Invermere to Kelowna is more than sufficient, it depends on when you're travelling, but likely it will be less than that.

bspot
07-16-2010, 11:40 AM
maps.google.com

Phenix
07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by bspot
maps.google.com

exactly. it's not like google maps can give you a bad route for that area

TimH
07-16-2010, 12:15 PM
For highway driving time in Alberta I use 2km/minute as a rough estimate. For BC I would guess it would be around 1.5km/minute because of the terrain, road conditions and increase in delays construction seems to have when driving on single lane highways.

I've used google maps before and it estimated my time driving on highway 2 as going 80km/h. :dunno:

Cos
07-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by bspot
maps.google.com

Originally posted by ~Leah~
Hey guys, I'm just trying to plan out my golf trip and I'm wondering if any of you know what the driving time is like from Invermere to Kelowna. Google maps says about 6.5 hrs... is this accurate?

I only ask because I know the drive time from Calgary to Vancouver on there says 12 hours and I've never heard anyone say it really takes THAT long. I don't plan on driving like an idiot... just need an approximation. Thanks!

Reading > you

bspot
07-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Reading > you

I was joking/being a dick. I know her.

And google maps will actually fuck you if you try get to Ainsworth/Kaslo BC as it will suggest a dirt road that is barely fit for logging trucks and was still closed a couple weeks ago due to a wash out. You wouldn't want to try it without a 4x4.

Cos
07-18-2010, 09:36 PM

asp integra
07-19-2010, 10:53 PM
im gonna say between 5-6 hours

when i go calgary to kelowna its about 7, so subtract about 1.5-2 hours off that if your starting from invermere

~Leah~
07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys! Hoping it doesn't take too long... will likely be golfing in Panorama until 5ish then have to get to Kelowna that night. Crossing my fingers it only takes 5-5.5 hrs.

And bspot, you dink, I will be there this weekend... text me so we can get our drink on and I can slap you for that post.

~Leah~
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Sometimes, it can take 12 hours to get from Calgary to Vancouver. Try heading out on the Friday before a long weekend in the summer to see for yourself. ;)

6.5 hrs to get from Invermere to Kelowna is more than sufficient, it depends on when you're travelling, but likely it will be less than that.

Good point... I plan on driving to Victoria/Tofino and was going to come back on the Sunday of the long weekend... perhaps I will begin my venture on Saturday haha.