PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes SLR

Gripenfelter
12-18-2003, 10:40 AM
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/slr_front.jpg
As most enthusiasts know by now, the SLR was built almost without regard to cost using carbon fibre for the bodywork.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/drool.jpg
This a stunning-looking car by any standards and it would probably upstage a Ferrari Enzo or Lamborghini Murcielago if placed alongside. It's a long time since I drove a car that drew quite as much attention from fellow road-users as the SLR. Many of the styling cues harken back to the 50s SLR era, while the nose has a hint of Formula One racer about it. The doors swing upwards at the touch of a latch on the sill, but dragging them down again proved more of a chore. Some of us in Cape Town thought power doors would have been a good idea, but maybe there are technical barriers to that.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/slr_rear.jpg
According to Mercedes-Benz, the SLR is the world's first series-production car to have a front crash structure manufactured entirely from carbon fibre. Right now, it's very expensive indeed to build a carbon fibre car body, but implications for future passenger vehicles made from this material are clear to see. Incidentally, even the seat shells on this car are fabricated from carbon fibre and these have adaptable bolsters for people of differing girth.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/slr_int.jpg
SLR power comes from an AMG developed supercharged 5.5-litre V-8 developing an awesome 626-horsepower and mated to a 5-speed automatic transmission with semi-manual mode using steering wheel buttons. It uses dry sump lubrication and despite its raw power, it meets new European emission rules which come into place for 2005. Acceleration from zero to 100 km/h is given as 3.8-seconds and the top speed is 334 km/h. Even on South Africa's excellent backroads, we were able to top 260 km/h before the rippled surface induced a mild feeling of instability. There's no doubt that we'd have been well over 300 km/h on a smoother Autobahn with no traffic around.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/slr_1.jpg
Mid-range torque is astonishing and the car takes off with neck-snapping response. The power comes on in waves and there seems to be no stopping the beast - until you resort to the huge Brembo brakes with ceramic (carbon composite) discs. Incidentally, there's an air brake that pops out of the rear deck under hard braking - it was fun to see it slide into place when you jammed the anchors on with a bit of verve. It really seems to help the normal brakes when you want to scrub off speed quickly. Vintage car buffs will remember that many of the SLRs of the fifties used a big air brake at the rear of the car to provide a bit of help for the huge drum brakes used back then. Interestingly, this wing doubles as a spoiler too, adding downforce at speeds over 95 km/h. The new SLR also boasts side exit exhaust pipes - two on each side - just like the classic models.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/slr_2.jpg
The SLR is more of a race car for the road than a mild mannered tourer. Any amount of throttle brings on an angry growl and the car is quite noisy at high speeds. "Teutonic Viper" was the term some of the attending scribes were using - perhaps unkindly. Mercedes told us that there was still work to be done on the brakes, which functioned superbly at high speeds, but were less happy around town. They need more driver-friendly modulation and there's a squeal to be dealt with too. Generally speaking, this car gets better and better the faster you go and would probably give a good account of itself in a top class endurance race "right out of the box."

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/slr_3.jpg
Handling is similarly superb and the car goes right where it's pointed almost regardless of speed. Suspension is by double wishbone front and rear using massive aluminum castings. The steering is a tad on the heavy side at anything less than higher speeds, but enthusiasts will prefer this to overly light steering. The car is equipped with Mercedes' Sensotronic Brake control (SBC) and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and this was put to the test to some extent when we ran into rain showers near the Cape of Good Hope. With more than 600 horsepower on tap, though, one tends to drive with a very gentle right foot in the rain. The car was very poised and predictable on the Cape's winding mountain roads and the brakes really got the job done when the odd baboon jumped out in front of us.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/slr_4.jpg
On the road, the SLR proved to be the most exciting car I'd ever driven - and I've piloted my share of Ferraris and Lamborghinis. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you pass a level of experience, the car is tremendously rewarding under any conditions.

Obviously, it would take a very experienced race car driver to explore the outer limits of a car like this and we had an opportunity of sitting alongside one for a few laps of the Kyalami Grand Prix circuit near Johannesburg. Regardless of lap times, the brakes never lost any degree of effectiveness and the car could be driven into corners at almost frightening speeds.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/slr_5.jpg
Clearly, this is one of the most desirable sports cars to come along in years. It has truly outstanding styling, astonishing performance on every front and one of the most reliable badges in the industry gracing its nose. Without doubt, this will be a very expensive car when Canadian prices are announced. The figure being bandied around in South Africa was 350,000 euros. Even at that price, there are reputed to be 70 firm orders on the books in Canada alone. Order one now and expect to wait at least three years for this very limited production supercar.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/images/slr_detail.jpg

962 kid
12-18-2003, 10:43 AM
:eek:

omg 70 coming to canada?????

/////AMG
12-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Good find Gripenfelter, Can't belive 70 are coming to O Canada...Hopefully a couple in Alberta!:thumbsup:

syeve
12-18-2003, 11:05 AM
that thing is hot...rich mans ferrari :D

littledan
12-18-2003, 11:17 AM
that is uber-:bigpimp:

JAYMEZ
12-18-2003, 11:56 AM
very nice stuff!

DUBBED
12-18-2003, 11:56 AM
such good pics as well.... nice find:thumbsup:

Sai
12-18-2003, 02:00 PM
What a beast!

wanna-be
12-18-2003, 02:06 PM
doesn't look that great...

i like how they say...if put along side an Enzo it will upstage it..haha, yeah right!

a cool car...but i wouldn't even consider a benz if comparing against other exotics...ferrari enzo, lambo

Hakkola
12-18-2003, 02:12 PM
On the pic with the wing up and tilted, is it braking?? It doesn't seem as though the brake lights or on?? :dunno:

If it is braking, I wonder what it looks like with the wing up, not slowing down.

Amazing looking car, I don't know if I'd pick it over an Enzo, maybe, but I'd most def take it over a Lambo.

It does compete with them though, it's mclaren-mercedes, I'd put it up there with any exotic, what wrong with Mercedes??

ZorroAMG
12-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Stunning...

Hakk, don't think it is braking, that spoiler deploys at a certain speed like the 911 turbo and boxster..

As for upstaging an Enzo, I find that a far fetched comment but as Hakk said above, MUCH more impressive than the Mur....

70 to Canada...should call my broker and see what number mine is...LOL

hellcat
12-18-2003, 04:16 PM
How can it not compete with Ferrari and Lambo? Its an exotic. Its gorgeous, incredibly fast, very powerful, amazing engineering and very few will be built and sold. The Enzo says "Look at me!" because its such a radical design so the SLR might not upstage it but the SLR is much sleeker and nicer design.

As for the picture with the wing up he said it acts as a spoiler as well as air brake so I'd imagine its just deployed for high speed driving in that picture. Certainly doesn't appear to be braking.

Hakkola
12-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Stunning...

Hakk, don't think it is braking, that spoiler deploys...

I know, but the angle looks strange, and when braking occurs the wing I think does tilt like that to add more drag and downforce for better braking.

The SLR has really impressive stopping power, I think the theoretical brake hp is 2000 or something crazy like that.

/////AMG
12-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
On the pic with the wing up and tilted, is it braking?? It doesn't seem as though the brake lights or on?? :dunno:

If it is braking, I wonder what it looks like with the wing up, not slowing down.

Amazing looking car, I don't know if I'd pick it over an Enzo, maybe, but I'd most def take it over a Lambo.

It does compete with them though, it's mclaren-mercedes, I'd put it up there with any exotic, what wrong with Mercedes??

Like Zorro said is right, but you can manually tilt the spoiler.

/////AMG
12-18-2003, 06:24 PM
REAR WING

/////AMG
12-18-2003, 06:24 PM

/////AMG
12-18-2003, 06:26 PM

/////AMG
12-18-2003, 06:26 PM

C4S
12-18-2003, 06:56 PM
It said " 70 Orders" in Canada .. so .. probaby less then 70 come to Canada .. and I guess even try to order the car now, will never get it ... :(

Team_Mclaren
12-18-2003, 07:03 PM
the mclaren F1 has that real wing too, but only goes up when u brake, may be thats what u're confuse about

Gripenfelter
12-18-2003, 08:31 PM
I dunno.

I think for the money I would rather have a Porsche Carrera GT.

This car for some reason looks like a vulture of some sorts to me. :confused:

Its still an awesome car but my 2nd choice.

air_mikey
12-18-2003, 11:01 PM
was a lil bored so i decided to do this...

Gripenfelter
12-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Neato Mosquito! :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
12-19-2003, 09:07 AM
Damn! I love seeing concept cars come to life.

Masta Dz17
12-26-2003, 01:12 AM
so nice, so so nice, my new dream car:hitit: