PDA

View Full Version : Reputable freight companies

Scuderia
07-16-2010, 07:02 PM
I need to ship my toolbox from Texas to Calgary, and was just wondering what shipping/freight companies you guys use. I'm sure you use them for cars, but this is essentially the same since it's a 900 pound toolbox. I've called around and gotten quotes from lots of places, and so far the best method is to ship to Sweetgrass, Montana, and pick it up myself from there. Cheapest quote I got was a thousand bucks. Thanks in advance.

Lex350
07-16-2010, 07:05 PM
After dealing with many shipping companies I can tell you that there is no such thing as a reputable shipping company. However if you must use one just pick one that doesn't have its head office in Quebec.

Scuderia
07-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Just curious, what shipping companies are these? The box will be locked and covered and inventory will be taken, so other than mishandling it or just dropping it completely, I'm not too worried. I'm sure there is some sort of insurance too. I just think there would be some better prices out there since shipping a car is less than a thousand bucks. I also want to make sure that the 3 hour drive to montana is the shortest/best route.

Graham_A_M
07-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Dont use Buffalo transport, thats all I have to say, and get insurance. We've shipped a few things that were absolutely destroyed. Manatoulin isn't bad, Id give them a shot.

AllGoNoShow
07-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
After dealing with many shipping companies I can tell you that there is no such thing as a reputable shipping company. However if you must use one just pick one that doesn't have its head office in Quebec.

^^ This, bang on.

They all suck. Over insure the box to cover your costs and expenses, there is a good chance any company will have a problem with it, just pick who you think will do a good job and get extra insurance to cover all possible expenses.

Scuderia
07-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Alright sounds good thanks for the advice. Now my only problem is finding out how to get the box from customs back to calgary. I guess U-haul or flatbed tow truck?

Scuderia
07-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks Graham, I called manitoulin and they only work within Canada, but they referred me to YRC and they'll pick up the box from my shop, drop it off to my residence in Calgary, and offer free $20,000 insurance for 900 bucks. Not bad, I'll keep calling around and see if anyone does it cheaper.
Close thread.

Lex350
07-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Cheap isn't always best.

Scuderia
07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah but with most of these companies, everybody's doing price matches. Plus I've shipped cars to the border before and it was cheaper than 900 bucks, so it's not like I'm passing up a smoking deal.