PDA

View Full Version : Two square kilometer gold mine, but won't sell.

ZenOps
07-16-2010, 10:06 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100715/national/gold_mine_holdout

"The pit will stretch two kilometres long, 800 metres wide and will plunge nearly 400 metres into the ground — deep enough to bury the 381-metre-high Empire State Building."

Smallest mine ever, about the size of a few grainfields in Alberta.

How much gold? 9 million ounces :bigpimp: (about 11 billion dollars at todays rates)

Disoblige
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
... Man.... I would be laughing for 3 days straight.

broken_legs
07-16-2010, 10:43 PM
I'd sell for a % of production. Not money - I'd want gold.

derpderp
07-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Super Hippie 5000

Supa Dexta
07-17-2010, 06:33 AM
"400 metres into the ground — deep enough to bury the 381-metre-high Empire State Building."

I've checked the math.. Its legit.

Super_Geo
07-17-2010, 09:56 AM
He will get his head taken off in expropriation. I'd put money on him folding right before the court date. A guy in BC wanted 4x the payout all his neighbors agreed upon for a gas deveoplment I'm working on. Wouldn't budge at all for months. Folded and signed the day before the court date, and for the same price that was originally discussed.

Willie Bobo
07-17-2010, 10:05 AM
here's the house

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Malartic&sll=47.474615,-74.672935&sspn=5.777978,14.80957&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Malartic,+Vall%C3%A9e-de-l%27Or,+Quebec&layer=c&cbll=48.130604,-78.124166&panoid=l3C-Vo4eQaF5E0WU4LHV7Q&cbp=12,305.4,,0,1.33&ll=48.130602,-78.124166&spn=0.002513,0.014462&z=17

D'z Nutz
07-17-2010, 10:35 AM
The solution is simple:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/426704048_b44dd6d443_z.jpg

kamakurakid
07-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Nice to see sometimes not everything is for sale. Sometimes and it is rare, one has all he needs. There is a lesson here for those who believe there is anything more important than knowing what you want and knowing you already have it.

kamakurakid
07-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
The solution is simple:

That photo is from China, a very old couple who refused to sell out, interesting story if Googled.

Freeskier
07-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Ha, only in China. Thats hilarious

roopi
07-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid

That photo is from China, a very old couple who refused to sell out, interesting story if Googled.

Here's the stories:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-03/24/content_835539.htm

http://www.jongo.com/articles/07/0327/10393/MTAzOTMjyfYXFeV.html

kamakurakid
07-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Love the Chinese phrase "nail house" and how it came to be. Reminds me of the Japanese and their use of the phrase "cactus person" which refers to a person who does not take a bath or is thought to be very unclean... you can smell them from far away and as a result one stays clear of them, just as you would a cactus.

From the article:

This home in Chongqing is commonly referred to in the Chinese and English media as a Ònail householdÓ. This name comes from the refusal of the home owners to vacate the premises despite an eviction order issued by the Chongqing Municipal Government.

The phrase Ònail householdÓ originates from a Chinese expression regarding stubbornness and nails. The basic idea is that once a nail has been hammered into wood, it is very difficult to get out. Therefore stubbornness, inflexibility, and tenacity are associated with nails in wood.

As a result, Chinese people refer to families which refuse to vacate a house despite legal orders to do so as being a Ònail household.Ó

Integra10
07-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
The solution is simple:

Do you know what the final outcome of this was?

kamakurakid
07-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Integra10

Do you know what the final outcome of this was?

Can't fight forever, the building did come down:

Last Nail House (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-04/03/content_842221.htm)

LollerBrader
07-19-2010, 11:13 AM
"Masse, a former town councillor, plans to fight the government-authorized expropriation in Quebec court on Sept. 8."

Is anybody frightened that a mining company can ask the government to force you off of your own land?

GTS4tw
07-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by LollerBrader
"Masse, a former town councillor, plans to fight the government-authorized expropriation in Quebec court on Sept. 8."

Is anybody frightened that a mining company can ask the government to force you off of your own land?

Ha ha, that's the least of it. This is Canada, you don't own shit, you can use it as long as someone more powerful doesn't need it. It's amazing how little freedom you have with land.

Hopefully the guy isn't forced to sell, but he will be.

ZenOps
07-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

It wouldn't even be questionable if it wasn't in Quebec. Very little of English Canada, the nine other provinces are considered private land that would not be arguable as under either the ownership of the Crown or the local Ministers (govt)

They would kick off a farmer with just a letter, homesteading rules are still under the crown.

Albertan farmers don't actually own mineral rights to their land, just the six inches or so of topsoil. You can "rent" BC mining rights from the crown as a yearly claim at 13 cents per acre, they reopened it in 2007 (closed since the original gold rush days)

ExtraSlow
07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Some private citizens and corporations do own the minerals rights under thier land in Alberta.

HiSpec
07-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100715/national/gold_mine_holdout

How much gold? 9 million ounces :bigpimp: (about 11 billion dollars at todays rates)

Say if the owner of the land ask fof 11 billion to settle this, whats the chance that the gov't will agree to it?

beyond_ban
07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Say if the owner of the land ask fof 11 billion to settle this, whats the chance that the gov't will agree to it?

Are you fucking stupid? It is estimated to be worth 11 billion in total. If they gave him 11 billion they would be mining the gold at a a loss.

Dycker
07-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Albertan farmers don't actually own mineral rights to their land, just the six inches or so of topsoil.

Not true.

Any settlers in Alberta before 1887 owned the minerals along with the surface, but the crown owns the precious minerals EVERYWHERE in the province (still in the ground). You can bid to have the right to harvest the minerals.

They also own the gravel and similar things closer to the surface.

Jetta-2.0
07-19-2010, 07:19 PM
soon you will see this guy dead. By a house fire, killed by a drunk driver, guned down.

95EagleAWD
07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
soon you will see this guy dead. By a house fire, killed by a drunk driver, guned down.

Absolutely. Happens all the time in Canada.

:facepalm: (FIRST TIME USING THAT SMILIE!)

Jetta-2.0
07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Absolutely. Happens all the time in Canada.

:facepalm: (FIRST TIME USING THAT SMILIE!)

alot of greed in this word.

Yesturday, I went to futureshop and I saw this guy trying to get in to this car and a girl was standing beside him. At first i didnt stop and went in the store but when i came out they where still at it. I went up to them and asked whats the problem it turns out the girl had turned on her car and locked her self out but the worse part was, she was deaf, the guy that was trying to open the lock threw a window sliped the coat hanger in and it fell in the car, a china man pulled up, with his van. We asked if he had a coat hanger and he had the damn guts to tell us $5 bucks, and he stood there we laughed and then hes like no really then he said jking. But really to ask $5 for a damn helping hand? so yeah greed can do shit to people just cuz your in canada doesnt make it 100% safe and shit like that doesnt happen :thumbsup:

beyond_ban
07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
^ wow, you sure can ramble about nothing.

Cos
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Wut.....

Kavy
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM

Yesturday, I went to futureshop and I saw this guy trying to get in to this car and a girl was standing beside him. At first i didnt stop and went in the store but when i came out they where still at it. I went up to them and asked whats the problem it turns out the girl had turned on her car and locked her self out but the worse part was, she was deaf, the guy that was trying to open the lock threw a window sliped the coat hanger in and it fell in the car, a china man pulled up, with his van. We asked if he had a coat hanger and he had the damn guts to tell us $5 bucks, and he stood there we laughed and then hes like no really then he said jking. But really to ask $5 for a damn helping hand? so yeah greed can do shit to people just cuz your in canada doesnt make it 100% safe and shit like that doesnt happen :thumbsup:

Cool story bro

Kona9
07-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Learn to spell. It will make your cool story cooler.

01RedDX
07-19-2010, 10:46 PM

Dumbass17
07-20-2010, 05:04 AM
so what you're saying is, a guy jokingly told you $5 and then helped anyways?

you need to get out more

ZenOps
07-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Dycker

Not true.

Any settlers in Alberta before 1887 owned the minerals along with the surface, but the crown owns the precious minerals EVERYWHERE in the province (still in the ground). You can bid to have the right to harvest the minerals.

They also own the gravel and similar things closer to the surface.

Yes.

But there weren't many Alberta settlers before 1887. Calgary had a population of 83,300 in 1936 and 4091 in 1901 (probably the first set of reliable data) At most, there are probably less than 100 farming landclaims in Alberta that can also claim mineral rights.

Gravel is interesting, in BC you do not have gravel rights. Pan pacific aggregrates (gravel) was one of the big claim hunters there.

atgilchrist
07-20-2010, 08:50 AM

At most, there are probably less than 100 farming landclaims in Alberta that can also claim mineral rights.

So far off base, it's funny. There are thousands upon thousands of freehold mineral owners in the province.

ZenOps
07-20-2010, 09:07 AM
As a actual landclaim? Unlikely.

I've got my $25 BC freeminers certificate, but that does not mean that I actively hold any claims in BC. You can be a freeminer, without active claims.

Alberta has tons of exploration, mainly for oil and not surface rights. The Malarctic find, would actually be considered surface gold (not the very dangerous two miles under the ground in caves like in South Africa) Northern BC is probably one of the last places in the world where one could "get lucky" and find a Billion dollar surface gold deposit.

I'm hoping that Pan Pacific goes belly-up, that will free up a gigantic claim area in South BC, although much has been explored on a macro level, its actually quite easy to miss a surface gold deposit only tens to hundreds of meters wide (actually a 2mm vein, would probably do the trick for me, lol)

Money on a claim is much better spent than money on the lottery IMO.

Kloubek
07-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by kamakurakid
Nice to see sometimes not everything is for sale. Sometimes and it is rare, one has all he needs. There is a lesson here for those who believe there is anything more important than knowing what you want and knowing you already have it.

Maybe the owner is holding out for a bigger offer from the company? That's what I would do....