PDA

View Full Version : my rant for the week....

quazimoto
07-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I think something has to be said for other photographers not maintaining a certain etiquette and being polite to their fellow photographers. Why is it that it seems that some feel it is in their best nature to out right publicly bash others when they are physically working.

Case in point day of the wedding and I am working with my clients minding my own business and you can overhear them talking crap about you. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that has come across this but I'm sure many of us have but I just don't get why people must think they have to do this to make themselves look better. It was the only real downer of my day yesterday.

I couldn't really care what others say or think since all that matters to me is making my clients happy. I'm just beginning to wonder though if this is the standard norm that some photographers will constantly always impolitely bash others for no reason other than to make themselves appear better? I really wanted to say something to the other photographer but from a professional point of view it just didn't seem right.

Granted it wouldn't have been very hard to do since any person should know using on camera flash at well over 150 feet away well just isn't going to work. I am just seriously beginning to wonder if this is something that wedding photographer's just seem to do or if it's all photographer's in general as it's beginning to annoy me. I think this is the 2nd time this year I've overheard a photographer saying something that really just made me shake my head.

I think for the most part people are really polite and nice to each other. I just don't understand though the attitude put off by some!

Gibson
07-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm confused...were your clients talking bad about you? Or was it another photographer talking to your clients?

Photographers bash other photographers all the time, you should have noticed that by all drama flying around here, but all in all most are polite.

Just yesterday I was shooting a football game and there was another photographer running around wearing a rain poncho (sunny day) in bare feet, using a monopod so low that he had to bend over excessively every time he wanted to take a shot. Didn't say anything, but it's one of those things you look at and think "lolwut?"

e31
07-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, it's always nice to hear someone talking crap about your work.

I am not a professional photographer by any means, but whenever I am invited to a family wedding I am always told to bring my camera because it takes such nice pictures:(
That gets really old coming from the same people again and again. So what I do is get even; you know how sometimes the hosts put out those disposable cameras for the guests. Well, take a bunch of them and expose a shit load of stupid pictures of floor tiles, drink cups, etc.

I wouldn't imagine doing this to a customer, but since it was family I had a good laugh.

Go4Long
07-18-2010, 06:06 PM
trash talking other photographers is for assholes...oh wait... ;)

Melinda
07-18-2010, 09:29 PM
I dunno, I've worked along side and in the general area of many other photographers on a lot of different wedding days and other events and I've never overheard anyone say anything that terrible about another photographer, certainly not slandering them (or me) within ear shot. 4 of us shoot an event together every january and there is one 'media' guy who shoots with a point and shoot and comes over and tries to school us on getting better shots of people dancing when they are actually done dancing and can stop and pose (when we were actually hired to shoot them dancing) and asks each of us at least three times over the course of the weekend why we aren't using a flash. He drives us crazy year after year and between the 4 of us we have a giggle about it (usually after the event), but beyond that, nope, never in 8 years have I come in contact with what you're describing. I am curious as to why so many photographers slander you within ear shot though. Are you being an asshole or something, hogging a photo location on a busy saturday or something like that? What kind of insults are we talking about here?

EvolizePhoto
07-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I love listening to a few certain people on this forum trash talk me, the word comes around pretty quick to other friends of mine and they seem to have a good time laughing at them

JTI
07-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah I dunno.... I know most of the wedding photographers in this town and most are really good people who mind their business. Why anyone would worry about what another photographer is doing while they are working themselves seems unusual.

Or.... he knows "of" you and doesn't like you.

quazimoto
07-19-2010, 07:26 AM
I kind of got the feeling he just thought I shouldn't be there or something. Kind of like he owned the location. As I said normally most are fine and polite. I'm wondering if its maybe a newbie photographer thing as he was using a grey xti a garry fong dong and flash a good 200 feet away where it won't work.

I didn't let it bother me since I'm just there to work and make my clients happy. I just don't understand why someone would act that way.

Melinda
07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Well, is it a spot that he has potentially reserved ahead of time and you were there instead? A lot of public parks can be reserved by people for blocks of time, and he might have done so. If you really got that vibe from him, why didn't you ask him if he had it reserved or just give him a heads up that you'll be done in ____ mins? It's a fairly polite thing to do when there are two groups running on a very obvious time limit so they have the option of going somewhere else if they need to instead of waiting for you.

Originally posted by quazimoto
I Granted it wouldn't have been very hard to do since any person should know using on camera flash at well over 150 feet away well just isn't going to work.

Originally posted by quazimoto
I kind of got the feeling he just thought I shouldn't be there or something. Kind of like he owned the location. As I said normally most are fine and polite. I'm wondering if its maybe a newbie photographer thing as he was using a grey xti a garry fong dong and flash a good 200 feet away where it won't work.

I find it hilarious that your rant is about photographers bad mouthing you, yet you on two occasions in this thread alone have bad mouthed him on a public forum. What does his equipment or ideas of what works have to do with you both being there for the same purpose? Because you think you'll get better photos, that entitles you to be more insulted than him or take your time with a venue that his bride and groom chose for their wedding photos as well? For all we know, his bride and groom didn't have a photo budget and that photographer is a very well meaning family member or friend who has some talent with a hobby. Your approach in this thread makes you quite the hypocrite.

syeve
07-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Lol...Quazi! Look no further than this forum. There are like 10 professional photographers on here and they bicker non-stop. I think it is an "artist" thing.

I am willing to bet you find an "over-critical" tone in most creative circles.

ZorroAMG
07-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by syeve
I think it is an "insecure artist" thing.

I am willing to bet you find an "over-critical" tone in most creative circles.

Fixed.

syeve
07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Fixed.

Lol...didn't want to say it.