PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Rules (AFL)

240SX92
07-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Anyone follow AFL? Went to Australia earlier this year and got really into Aussie Rules while I was there... A really fun sport to watch... A mix of Rugby, soccer, football, ultimate frisbee. Hahah

Here's a neat video highlighting the big moments in the past 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wJrLn3Mv-8

240SX92
07-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Top goals of 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2lmSFf3_fk&feature=related

Top marks of 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJN3z8AvzPU&feature=related

got_mike33
07-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Funny you should bring this up, it was on TSN2 the other night. For the life of me I could not figure out the rules though... The lack of tackling, and constant whistle blowing, and bouncing the ball when running... it was so confusing.

Freeskier
07-19-2010, 11:36 AM
I watched a few games when I was in Australia in 2005. Awesome sport, don't really follow it any more though. Those videos made me want to pay attention to it again though.

240SX92
07-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by got_mike33
Funny you should bring this up, it was on TSN2 the other night. For the life of me I could not figure out the rules though... The lack of tackling, and constant whistle blowing, and bouncing the ball when running... it was so confusing.

Hahah They broadcast one game a week on TSN2 which is nice, but if I can recall last weeks game was some bottom-feeders. I just stream them online.

Constant whistle blowing is probably due to what is called a Mark... Where if you kick the ball to a teammate, or another player intercepts and catchs, you're awarded a free kick (called a mark, in the videos you can see some of the crazy marks where they're allowed to jump on eachothers necks to get better positioning), which you can then take the kick or not and just run with the ball. Bouncing of the ball has to be done every 15 meters I believe? More just the fact you can't go for a huge run, if you do you need to bounce it 3-4 times. Not sure what you mean on lack of tackling, when the ball fumbles around it's ONLY tackling haha, and some pretty intense slams.

I agree it's a pretty confusing sport when you first turn it on though for sure. Mainly you just have to know about 1) marks (free kicks off of catching a kick), 2) when you are tackled with the ball and do not cleanly dispose of it, it's a free ball (a lot like the opening to a basketball game with the ref doing similar to a jump-ball, 3) and that they are aiming for goals (by kicking the ball through the center posts, a goal 6 pts, whereas the outer posts only worth 1 pt, called a behind). There are a ton of other rules though, that's just the extreme basics.

240SX92
07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Freeskier
I watched a few games when I was in Australia in 2005. Awesome sport, don't really follow it any more though. Those videos made me want to pay attention to it again though.
The magic of the internet allows me to follow it now that i'm back :)

If you want I can send you some URL's to live streams. Unfortunately most of the games are on really early in the morning with a lot on at 3-5am, but some on at 10pm fridays. (Usually the 2 oclock game at the MCG)

Freeskier
07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
That'd be sweet dude, thanks

JfuckinC
07-21-2010, 12:06 PM
haha i was going to play this a few years back but was too lazy. There is some huge hits in this game sometimes :eek: