PDA

View Full Version : seatbelts..?

Awd-Tsi
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
How often do you wear them? I know for me sometimes if it's just a short drive I won't even bother. I know its a bad habbit..

ShermanEF9
07-19-2010, 09:48 PM
always always! im not paying for that ticket. only exception is if im going from the top parking lot of my building to the underground.

t-im
07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Always. It's a habit, I don't want a ticket, and just for safety's sake. I always think "you never know" what can happen...

SlickA70
07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by t-im
Always. It's a habit, I don't want a ticket, and just for safety's sake. I always think "you never know" what can happen...

Always.

I'm not going to go into much detail but in my younger days I got pulled over for no seat belt... Walked away with $3500 in tickets.

dezmarez
07-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Always,
ever since an accident when i was about 13...had my seat belt on..
never ever go w/o one,
i feel like im naked w/o one

Sil80_D
07-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez

i feel like im naked w/o one

werd. i use a 4 point harness so it's more of a pain in the ass than a regular seatbelt, but i have it on for even the shortest drives

StreetRacerX
07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't know why but I only wear my seatbelt in my own vehicles, I have to "remember" to put it on in someone elses and I never wear one when operating company equipment, its only a habit in the vehicles I own

bspot
07-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Some kid just died in Springbank when he rolled his Volvo. All his passengers had belts on and lived. He was thrown from the vehicle and dead.

I wear mine even to move my car to a different parking spot out of habit. It's total second nature.

Cascade
07-19-2010, 11:57 PM
I wear mine even for the shortest of drives. It can save your life, so why not :dunno:

Even if your going at a really slow speed and accidently hit something, or someone pulls out in front of you it sure as hell beats going into the windshield at 30 km/hr (or faster). It's not like you would expect that to happen.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-20-2010, 12:10 AM
I always wear mine, and my car doesnt move until EVERYONE is wearing one.

t-im
07-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Cascade
I wear mine even for the shortest of drives. It can save your life, so why not :dunno:

Even if your going at a really slow speed and accidently hit something, or someone pulls out in front of you it sure as hell beats going into the windshield at 30 km/hr (or faster). It's not like you would expect that to happen.
I think the problem is certain people have that "it could never happen to me" mentality......they are aware of the consequences but think "what are the chances?!"

atgilchrist
07-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Always. Not only for the safety, but the car nonstop freaking dings at me when I don't do it up.

ExtraSlow
07-20-2010, 07:21 AM
When I was a kid, momma wouldn't move till the seatbelts were on. Even now I put my seatbelt on before starting the car, adjusting the mirrors etc. It's totally second nature.
Even if I'm just going to the the car to grab something out of the glovebox or listen to the radio, I put it on, just out of habit.

freshprince1
07-20-2010, 07:45 AM
I always wear my seatbelt and make others do so as well, though most everyone seems to also always use seatbelts.

Sometimes I try to convince myself not to put it on if I'm just heading down the street or something, but I can't make it more than 50 feet before putting it on anyways. Good habit I guess.

Masked Bandit
07-20-2010, 07:50 AM
I just don't know who DOESN'T wear them in this day and age. It feels weird even driving around the block without it on.

e31
07-20-2010, 08:11 AM
^ This. I cannot drive at all unless I have my seatbelt on. A skinny guy, Leather Recaro seats, and a manual transmission do not mix without a seatbelt.

beyond_ban
07-20-2010, 08:25 AM
I put mine on every time i drive, but when i am riding shotgun in a friends car i sometimes forget. It really all depends on the length of the trip... If i just finished getting gas and i want to drive across the parking lot to go to McDick's, then no, i will not put my belt on.

relyt92
07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Always, won't drive unless passengers have theirs on too. Only exception is going from one part of a parking lot to another.

dantheman27
07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
i always wear mine! A seatbelt saved my life:thumbsup:

Cos
07-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Always,
Just feels strange if I drive around a camp ground or around site without it.

wintonyk
07-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I always have mine on. Done up before the key hits the ignition.

An observation I have made though. I have a number of buddies I notice that don't put the belt on and all of them grew up in a small town or in the countryside.

My scubie has a ding for the passenger, saves me from telling the passenger to put the belt on.

K3RMiTdot
07-20-2010, 06:07 PM
I always put on my seatbelt when im driving/passenger seat.
often times when im sitting in the rear seats, i wont put one on.

i've always been taught to put on the seatbelt when i get in the car with my parents, becuase as soon as we pull out of the garage they will ask if we got our seatbelts on

RZRSHARP_SVX
07-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I always do mine up and never move till everyone else is done too. but I have noticed some old guys just dont like to wear them and have loads of excusses not too. which I think is stupid

Only time I dont is when I am moving a car from the lot to the shop since I am not going much over 10km/h

dirtsniffer
07-20-2010, 08:05 PM
always, like mentioned previously, I feel nekkid without one.
It's a habit to get in and put it on, the other day I hopped into my car to smoke a joint away from my neighbors and my buddy laughed at me when he noticed I was wearing my belt, we weren't even going anywhere LOL

Pollywog
07-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Always.

sti420
07-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Not usually. Statistics show that they are FAR more dangerous when used. Same thing goes for headrests. Cause of whiplash.

Pollywog
07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by sti420
Not usually. Statistics show that they are FAR more dangerous when used. Same thing goes for headrests. Cause of whiplash.

That moronic blurb you posted only somewhat applied to lap belts of the past - which haven't existed in cars (sans 5th pass. center seats) for decades. The headrest thing is completely moronic, as it is human error (ex: not properly adjusted headrests) that are the primary causes of any injury that has ever been related to a headrest (aside from the accident itself). Having NO headrest allows a far longer range of extension for your head and neck, which makes for a far worse situation if rear-ended.

I am hoping that you are kidding, rather than being an absolute water-head.

ExtraSlow
07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Please post any reputable studies you have that prove your point.

dirtsniffer
07-20-2010, 10:10 PM
obvious troll is.. obvious

shakalaka
07-20-2010, 10:13 PM
On bit of a tangent here. Wondering about the those 4 point harness seat belts. Do you have to change the whole seat and get an aftermarket car seat to be able to have those seat belts? Or are you able to have those on your stock car seats as well?

black13
07-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I never used to wear them. Then I got a ticket for one, and I still didn't wear it. Then I got pulled over again, that and the fact that my tires aren't in the best shape right now so I wear them on the highway and occasionally in the streets.

Pollywog
07-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
On bit of a tangent here. Wondering about the those 4 point harness seat belts. Do you have to change the whole seat and get an aftermarket car seat to be able to have those seat belts? Or are you able to have those on your stock car seats as well?

"...A racing harness can be mounted and used with the stock seats, however, I don't recommend it without a roll /bar/cage. Reason being that if you are in a roll-over accident you aren't able to move your head to the side, as you are with a stock belt, and the roof can come down on your head and cause some major damage."

"I have seen stock seats with 4 pt. harnesses but those are for individuals that auto x and such. Its useless if you have them on and you're just a daily driver."

I know it would go great with your bright blue pedals and crystal blue shift knob, but its pointless unless there is a reason for them.

Goodfella
07-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Depends, if I'm just riding around in the hood or going to the local
corner store I dont bother but speeds upwards of 60km/h
I'll strap up for.

shakalaka
07-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

"...A racing harness can be mounted and used with the stock seats, however, I don't recommend it without a roll /bar/cage. Reason being that if you are in a roll-over accident you aren't able to move your head to the side, as you are with a stock belt, and the roof can come down on your head and cause some major damage."

"I have seen stock seats with 4 pt. harnesses but those are for individuals that auto x and such. Its useless if you have them on and you're just a daily driver."

I know it would go great with your bright blue pedals and crystal blue shift knob, but its pointless unless there is a reason for them.

I have neither the pedals nor the shift knob. But thanks for your input. And even the seatbelt wasn't something I am looking to do, but just always wanted to know.

Pollywog
07-20-2010, 11:29 PM

I have neither the pedals nor the shift knob. But thanks for your input. And even the seatbelt wasn't something I am looking to do, but just always wanted to know.

Can you really blame me for assuming?

Ok guys so my brother gifted me a Momo handbrake and brake, race and clutch pedals for my 350Z. I have no idea how to go around installing these though, so just looking for some guidance/help. Some sort of a walk-through or someone willing to help out would be awesome.

For reference purposes, this is sort of what the pedals look like.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/935/581/2335290025_large.jpg

Originally posted by 4lti
Whats going on with you man?!
At first when you had your photos of your car taken it was SIIIICK.
So clean and fresh.

But then the ricer bug caught you and you painted your calipers red.
Didn't even take the thing apart to paint it?!
Seriously that looked ridiculous.

Now you want to add blue pedals and a crystal blue shifter nob?

Just stop please...
I know its your car and all but what the hell man...

...Back on track - one thing that I've been wondering for a while is if airbag technology is that much better than it used to be. I have heard numerous reports of them causing deaths in otherwise survivable accidents over the years (taking into consideration the many times they save the lives of the occupants).

shakalaka
07-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Obviously you didn't even read that thread correctly. Even in that picture I said 'they sort of look like that'. Clearly meaning not exactly like that, and no where in that thread I even mentioned the shift knob, it just happened to be in that picture. But yea as far as it's the question of pedals I haven't put them on yet, I might or might not. But thanks for being so concerned about what I do with MY car. You truly are a caring person. :thumbsup:

Pollywog
07-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Obviously you didn't even read that thread correctly. Even in that picture I said 'they sort of look like that'. Clearly meaning not exactly like that, and no where in that thread I even mentioned the shift knob, it just happened to be in that picture. But yea as far as it's the question of pedals I haven't put them on yet, I might or might not. But thanks for being so concerned about what I do with MY car. You truly are a caring person. :thumbsup:

Dont be a clown, I was referring to my assumption of you being interested in putting a 4-pt harness in your car after you mentioned your intent to install that ghastly shit in your car. Take the joke and move on.

shakalaka
07-20-2010, 11:57 PM

Dont be a clown, I was referring to you being interested in putting a 4-pt harness in your car after you mentioned your intent to install that ghastly shit in your car. Take the joke and move on.

And you clearly missed the part where I said that it's just something I wanted to know and not actually thinking of doing right? But then you felt the need to post picture and what not from the other thread? Well now that you know that a 'joke' can be taken too far you should move on.

Pollywog
07-21-2010, 12:01 AM

And you clearly missed the part where I said that it's just something I wanted to know and not actually thinking of doing right?

Are you a complete moron? You wrote that AFTER I ragged on you for your poor taste. Your original post stated no such thing.

But then you felt the need to post picture and what not from the other thread? Well now that you know when a joke has been taken too far you should move on.

Boo-fuckin-hoo. :facepalm:

shakalaka
07-21-2010, 12:03 AM

Are you a complete moron? You wrote that AFTER I ragged on you for your poor taste. Your original question stated no such thing.

Boo-fuckin-hoo. :facepalm:

Name calling already? Does it make you feel like a bigger person? You posted the picture and brought the stuff up from the other thread AFTER I told you that it's not something I am looking to do, but just wanted to know. The 'joke' which was lame to begin with was already taken too far at that point mate.

Pollywog
07-21-2010, 12:06 AM

Name calling already? Does it make you feel like a bigger person? You posted the picture and brought the stuff up from the other thread AFTER I told you that it's not something I am looking to do, but just wanted to know. The 'joke' which was lame to begin with was already taken too far at that point mate.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Everyone%20Else/images-2/clown.jpg

Buddy, you are coming across as a big baby. No one cares - cry on your own.

shakalaka
07-21-2010, 12:10 AM
That pic made me lol.

Whiner or not, am just a big believer of the saying, 'if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.' Especially when no one isn't even talking about the topic you decided to bring up.

Anyway I am done with this childish bickering, I am grumpy as it is and I need to get back to studying for the 3 major law exams I have in less than a month.

Enough thread diversion....continue talking about seat belts hereafter people.