PDA

View Full Version : crazy car compition need help please!

himonkey
07-19-2010, 10:56 PM
hey guys new to the forum i have a question. Ok me and my friend have a compition against eachother we have a total of 700$ and we must buy a car thats fuel injected we can buy cars for under the price and use the remaining money on spare parts or repairs we cannot trade anything for our cars or get them for free also we must repair them ourselves and heres the catch we can only use 10 tools so thats 10 sizes of sockets/wrenches the test is to see whose car will last the longest from purchase so I need the name of a car that fits this descrition I know its hard but i need some expert advice. thanks guys!

mr2mike
07-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Most car problems can be fixed with a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 16mm & 17mm socket on an import.

Get a car with lots of rust or a salvage title... maybe an advantage.

RecoilS14
07-20-2010, 10:19 AM
You need to find a 88 civic, you won't lose!

master hec0
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
get this. http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1984-Honda-Civic-DX-Coupe-2-door-FAST-SALE-W0QQAdIdZ218454765

mr2mike
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Buy some WD-40 too.
Those bolts will be rusted on there good. You'll lose the competition solely based on broken bolts all over the place.

himonkey
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by master hec0
get this. http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1984-Honda-Civic-DX-Coupe-2-door-FAST-SALE-W0QQAdIdZ218454765

It has to be fuel injected but thanks anyways still need some more ideas!

jonfoo
07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
adjustable tools, they'll be a pain in the ass butt you know, vice grips, wonderful for stuck on bolts and shit

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1995-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ209191800

pow, no rule against damaged cars right, just gotta make sure they run god damn long

jonfoo
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
oh oh, avoid the European cars, special tools and such

inline6turbo
07-20-2010, 04:24 PM
But a $500 eg civic, get an oilchange, a 10mm and a 12mm and you'll be going forever.

mr2mike
07-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I would suspect that any vehicle you buy will last longer than what you would expect. Unless you're driving this car through it's paces like Jeremy Clarkson or Richard Hammond.

Look at kijiji.ca, bring a compression tester and get a car.

toastgremlin
07-20-2010, 04:59 PM
I'd probably go with a mid-90s Corolla since they seem easier to get for a low price than a Civic.

I've heard a bunch of "shop stories" of varying truth levels about early 90s Corollas that ran without oil, sand in the oil, water in the intake, etc. They'd probably be the "easy mode" to this challenge.

Since you're in Van, it might make more sense to pick up a car from Alberta and bring it into BC; it'd be expensive to smog and register it, but you'd get that back for having a potentially less rusty body.

himonkey
07-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
I'd probably go with a mid-90s Corolla since they seem easier to get for a low price than a Civic.

I've heard a bunch of "shop stories" of varying truth levels about early 90s Corollas that ran without oil, sand in the oil, water in the intake, etc. They'd probably be the "easy mode" to this challenge.

Since you're in Van, it might make more sense to pick up a car from Alberta and bring it into BC; it'd be expensive to smog and register it, but you'd get that back for having a potentially less rusty body.
good idea about the rust issue will have to think that through my friend bought a 1990 corrola and i dont want to copy him he bought it for only 500$ so he still has 200$ left
i dont want to cop out and copy him so gimmie some more ideas you guys have told me imports are the way to go but dont you think parts are cheaper on a domestic?

master hec0
07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
is it purely limited to cars? or are trucks/vans/suvs allowed too? and i would think that a domestic car would be cheaper to buy and cheaper to get parts for. possibly a cavalier/sunfire?

master hec0
07-20-2010, 11:41 PM
this one should be FI unless it was a cop car.
looks pretty good and seems to have been well maintained.
the rims.... not so much http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1986-Ford-Crown-Victoria-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ209470209#

also this one
http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1993-Honda-Civic-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ212462171

Modelexis
07-20-2010, 11:51 PM
This competition sounds like almost every car I've ever owned, the only reason I've had to start the competition over again was because some idiot ran into my car and totaled it.

himonkey
07-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by master hec0
is it purely limited to cars? or are trucks/vans/suvs allowed too? and i would think that a domestic car would be cheaper to buy and cheaper to get parts for. possibly a cavalier/sunfire?
yes it is only cars no trucks suvs or vans and remeber it must be fuel injected thanks guys for your info keep it coming

master hec0
07-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by himonkey

yes it is only cars no trucks suvs or vans and remeber it must be fuel injected thanks guys for your info keep it coming

that crownvic should be fuel injected unless it was a ex police car.

Hash_man
07-21-2010, 12:40 AM
I had a 1991 Civic hatchback that I bought for $140 a couple years ago. That thing was awesome until I drove it through a huge snowbank and took out the oil pickup.

Also, the a20a3 motors in 1984-87 preludes, and 1986-89 Honda accords are damn near bullet proof. I have yet to be able to kill one, and those cars are cheap. They can also be pretty much dissasembled and re-assembled using 10, 12 and 14mm sockets.

Hash_man
07-21-2010, 12:46 AM
oops double post

himonkey
07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
thanks guys for the advice its helping alot but i just need one more thing from ya, should i choose automatic or manual? im scared if i go manual that im gonna ruin the clutch because i live in vancouver a constant stop and go town and im not the nicest on my clutches somtimes, so if i need to replace the clutch im pretty much done so is automatic the way to go?

master hec0
07-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by himonkey
thanks guys for the advice its helping alot but i just need one more thing from ya, should i choose automatic or manual? im scared if i go manual that im gonna ruin the clutch because i live in vancouver a constant stop and go town and im not the nicest on my clutches somtimes, so if i need to replace the clutch im pretty much done so is automatic the way to go?

i wouldn't let that be a big deal i would be more worried about the overall condition of the vehicle. also a plus to standard transmission is you can bump start it if your starter fails.

toastgremlin
07-21-2010, 02:49 PM
I'd posit that you should buy whatever you can find that's cheapest, though a manual transmission is less likely to have mysterious damage that turns out to be mind-bogglingly expensive to fix.

The clutch is a fairly easy/cheap component to replace compared to some of the things that can go wrong in a neglected auto. If you're really worried about it, use the handbrake to start on inclines and keep grannying it to keep from glazing the clutch. You probably won't glaze a clutch to slipping in normal use before something more important breaks in the car.

Don't forget to look at the condition of the glass on the car. How anal-retentive are your inspections/police about glass? That stuff can get unexpectedly expensive.