PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop or Not?

-relk-
07-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Alright so here is my situation.

I am currently going to school down at the U of L. I bought a MBP in the summer of 08 just before going there. This summer i recently bought a new gaming desktop for $2000. My MBP's battery is fubar'd, as it can only last 5 minutes before dying, which means i have to have it plugged in all the time. My question is should i sell my MBP and get a new laptop? Not too sure how much my MBP could go for now (off the top of my head how does $900 sound?).

I think a new battery would cost around $150, correct me if i am wrong. If i were to sell my MBP what brand of laptop should i be looking at? I have been looking at ASUS as i know of them as a good PC brand but i am not too well informed on Laptops. My main goals on getting a new one would be:

1) Good battery life (around 8 hours would be amazing)
2) Would be using it for basic stuff like word and browsing the web so i wouldn't need much in terms of speed.
3) Would prefer 500 Gb but not a necessity.
4) At least 2 gigs of ram woul dbe preferred.
5) RUN COOL (my legs would sometimes be on fire when using my MBP)

My budget would be spending no more than what i get for my MBP, but seeing as how i would only be using it to look through the web and the sort when sitting in my living room i can't see getting one for more than 700 or 800. I would also probably put linux on it at some point but to my knowledge that doesn't factor into the decision as i can do this with any laptop.

Thanks for any and all help.

EDIT: Don't even think of recommending an iPad to me.

Cos
07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Dunno about the rest but there is no way you will get 900 for your MBP. I was selling my 2007 model for 1100 and no one bit. I had to just wait until it died.

I picked up a G71 Asus from memx for 1600 last xmas...... I love it. However it is more a gaming rig then a laptop as the battery doesnt last long.

-relk-
07-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Dunno about the rest but there is no way you will get 900 for your MBP. I was selling my 2007 model for 1100 and no one bit. I had to just wait until it died.

I picked up a G71 Asus from memx for 1600 last xmas...... I love it. However it is more a gaming rig then a laptop as the battery doesnt last long.

Well from scouting Kijiji i saw a couple 08's for $1000 so i just guesstimated that price range (because my battery is not in working order).

Cos
07-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by -relk-

Well from scouting Kijiji i saw a couple 08's for $1000 so i just guesstimated that price range (because my battery is not in working order).

True, but just saying what you list it at and what people offer you are different. Mine was fine except for a battery as well and best offer I got was 700 IIRC.

-relk-
07-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Cos

True, but just saying what you list it at and what people offer you are different. Mine was fine except for a battery as well and best offer I got was 700 IIRC.

Well this is why i ask you guys! Thanks... i will contemplate and work out the numbers and see if it is worth it.

oilerfan4lyfe
07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
This is what I will almost certainly get:

http://www.amazon.ca/U35jc-A1-I3-370m-500gb-13-3in-Silver/dp/B003UNHGFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279645463&sr=8-1

I think it covers pretty much everything you're looking for. Retailers are expecting them to come in around the end of July, but if you have to head back to the U of L you might wanna wait it out and see if they actually come out in time rather than buying on preorder.

msommers
07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I've had my refurbished HP laptop for almost 4 years I think now and the battery started to shit the bed at the beginning of winter semester. Picked up a $40 12-cell from eBay...shit can last for 7-8 hrs.

For the average student: microsoft office, wireless internet, adobe reader = all your needs. Why spend a bunch of money if you don't have to, or lose money by selling something.