PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer Living

Feruk
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Didn't think "Travel & Vacation" was the place to put this...

I'm moving to Red Deer in a bit here and was hoping for some input as to where in town to rent an apartment. I'm in Kensington right now and was hoping to find something a little similar. Obviously I know it's gonna suck quite a bit more then Kensington, but some sort of proportional equivalent would be nice.

I plan to drive around there a bit, but need some ideas as to where to focus. Any advice? Anyone ever live there?

Kartelli
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Deer Park, Anders comes to mind. Located in the "south" part of Red Deer. Nice properties and nice areas around there.

jonnycat
07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
You'll most likely want to stay on the south end of town. I lived across the street from Bower mall for years. The enitre street is a strip of apt buildings. It was a decent place, decent rent.

Feruk
07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
So somewhere south of the river then? Cool. Any neighborhoods with rows of cafes/bars sort of similar to Kensington? I know I'm prolly asking for quite a bit with that question.

GorG
07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
pm'd

G
07-20-2010, 03:14 PM
If you're moving out there why not take the hour drive and go explore around town and see what you like and don't like first hand.

masoncgy
07-20-2010, 03:23 PM
If you think Calgary is lacking culture, Red Deer should be a real treat in that respect... lol...

It's a busy commercial centre... it has all of the amenities, but there is really no night life or much of a 'community' feeling at all. I lived there for awhile prior to moving to Calgary 10 years ago... I liked it... and I still do... but it just wasn't 'exciting' enough for me.

Well... I should mention that if you're down with 'rolling coal' & having balls dangling from your bumper, you'll love Red Deer. :D

911fever
07-20-2010, 05:47 PM
terrible place to live. Why live there when you have the rest of Canada (and Calgary to live)?

Feruk
07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
terrible place to live. Why live there when you have the rest of Canada (and Calgary to live)?

Oil & Gas field rotation.

Godfuader
07-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I lived there for a year in 2007. Every Friday by 5:15pm I was already on the Highway back to Calgary. As mentioned, the South has newer developments. West of "downtown" you should be able to find a basement suite easily. Be prepared to destroy your liver though, since daily drinking is the norm. More liquor stores than gas stations!

freshprince1
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I worked there everyday for a Summer, helping my company revamp our branch there.

Hated Red Deer.

That being said, Anders is one of the nicer communities though it doesn't bear any resemblence to Kensington. I would venture to say Red Deer has no equivalent to Kensington. I could be wrong.

Kartelli
07-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Night Life...

Comon guys, give it some more credit than that. You have sylvan lake 13 minute drive from Red Deer. Friday/Saturday nights start at sylvan then end up in downtown Red Deer around 12:30-1AM. Thats when the parties begin.

Its a college town, plenty of girls, and all 3 of the main clubs are walking distance from eachother. Plenty of pubs around to hang out.

North part of Red Deer is abit sketchy, but there are plenty of newer communities that show as nice as the south.

I lived in Johnstone Park for 3 years, never had a single problem and everyone in the community was very friendly.

Its an MMA town if your interested in that, plenty of places to train daily.

HHURICANE1
07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I thought people only moved to Red Deer to die? :dunno: