PDA

View Full Version : Leased car + hail damage: what are my obligations?

07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm leasing my car right now - what (if any) are my obligations to the dealership? It is covered by insurance but do I need to inform them in anyway or form?

Thanks

max_boost
07-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Tell your insurance company. Get it fixed. Return the car without hail damage. :dunno:

01RedDX
07-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Awd-Tsi
07-20-2010, 08:00 PM
on the same topic, what happens with a rental car if you get hail damage?

ExtraSlow
07-20-2010, 08:01 PM
My insurance specifically DOES cover hail as part of the specified perils section.

Aleks
07-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Tell your insurance company. Get it fixed. Return the car without hail damage. :dunno:

You also have to tell your leasing company if damage is over $XXXX amount. I know for Subaru it's $2000 worth of damage iirc.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
Always thought hail damage was not covered by most insurance companies as an "act of god." You're lucky if yours does.

It's covered if you have comprehensive/collision/all perils. Same with fire, vandalism, aircraft falling on it etc etc. I also have $5K worth of rental allowance too on mine while my car is in the shop

:banghead:

TomcoPDR
07-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

You also have to tell your leasing company if damage is over $XXXX amount. I know for Subaru it's $2000 worth of damage iirc.

It's covered if you have comprehensive/collision/all perils. Same with fire, vandalism, aircraft falling on it etc etc. I also have $5K worth of rental allowance too on mine while my car is in the shop

:banghead:

If you lease a car, AFAIK, you're required to have comprehensive (since the vehicle isn't yours)

Masked Bandit
07-21-2010, 08:07 AM
ANY vehicle that carries either Comprehensive or Specified Perils is covered for hail (and a bunch of other stuff).

OP, call your insurance company and file a claim. It will most likely cost you a $250 deductible and that's it.

I've always wondered where people get the "Act of God" phrase. It doesn't appear in any insurance contract I've seen in the past 11 years.

01RedDX
07-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Xtrema
07-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I guess it's one of those old wives tales that's been stuck in my mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_God

It's still used somewhere but not on hail. Otherwise, insurance industry won't send planes to seed the clouds.

freshprince1
07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
ANY vehicle that carries either Comprehensive or Specified Perils is covered for hail (and a bunch of other stuff).

OP, call your insurance company and file a claim. It will most likely cost you a $250 deductible and that's it.

I've always wondered where people get the "Act of God" phrase. It doesn't appear in any insurance contract I've seen in the past 11 years.

House Insurance maybe?

I had flood damage when renting a basement suite back in University. My renter's insurance would not cover anything because it was an "Act of God". I do not recall reading the phrase word for word, but I do specifically recall the agent using the phrase...it was the first time I'd heard it.

07-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the opinion/help guys, I will check my lease agreement and go from there.

Masked Bandit
07-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by 008
Thanks for the opinion/help guys, I will check my lease agreement and go from there.

Why are you checking your lease agreement? There's nothing in there that will have any kind of coverage. Just call your insurance broker / company.

You do have this thing insured, right?

Masked Bandit
07-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1

House Insurance maybe?

I had flood damage when renting a basement suite back in University. My renter's insurance would not cover anything because it was an "Act of God". I do not recall reading the phrase word for word, but I do specifically recall the agent using the phrase...it was the first time I'd heard it.

Residential FLOODING isn't covered, for anyone, anywhere. You can't buy coverage for it (which is weird because you can on some commercial policies). That's why when we have the large scale floods the government steps in with some funding because they know that the residents could not have purchased insurance coverage for it.

SpeedIllusion
07-24-2010, 10:02 AM
When you lease a car you must have full insurance coverage and most full coverage packages include comprehensive.

guessboi
07-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Just a note, almost all insurance company do not provide seepage and flood but I know both Scotia and TD offer an option to provide unlimited seepage coverage for the moment and are taking a hit. How is TD claims service by the way for the hail? any one?

Redlyne_mr2
07-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
CLOSE thread

PD77
07-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Interesting, I had waaaay more damage than that on my Legacy and didn't report it, nobody said a word when I gave it back (I did disclose the final numbers at that time, they didn't seem concerned at all).

alloroc
07-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_God

It's still used somewhere but not on hail. Otherwise, insurance industry won't send planes to seed the clouds.

They also seed so it hails on the city.

Apparently city claims are cheaper then crop claims as it takes larger hail to cause city damage and only minor hail to cause crop damage.

:dunno:

01RedDX
07-24-2010, 03:38 PM

guessboi
07-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

They also seed so it hails on the city.

Apparently city claims are cheaper then crop claims as it takes larger hail to cause city damage and only minor hail to cause crop damage.

:dunno:

that is not correct...city claims are way more expensive than crop claims in the rural areas.
from what I recalled, there were 2 planes that seeded the clouds last week for 7 straight hours. :nut: last week's hail will cost the industry over 150+ million and that is being conservative...

Aleks
07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by PD77

Interesting, I had waaaay more damage than that on my Legacy and didn't report it, nobody said a word when I gave it back (I did disclose the final numbers at that time, they didn't seem concerned at all).

It's right there in the lease agreement. The dealer themselves probably doesn't care but I am guessing the resale value on the car would be much lower with a carproof report showing thousands in damage. That's the beauty of leasing, not your problem when you turn it back in lol.

PD77
07-24-2010, 08:04 PM

It's right there in the lease agreement. The dealer themselves probably doesn't care but I am guessing the resale value on the car would be much lower with a carproof report showing thousands in damage. That's the beauty of leasing, not your problem when you turn it back in lol.

Exactly, the car was put back together really well, but the resale was shot and it just didn't feel like the same car to me any more.