PDA

View Full Version : Sex lights and stereo distortion

Big_C_racing
12-18-2003, 07:27 PM
I have installed a pair of sex lights that I bought at crappy tire for like 5 bucks in hopes that I could get lights that flash with teh bass. But like always nothing is as easy as it sounds. Once i had them installed I connected them to one of the channels on my amp and the lights work but they cause major distortion of my stereo. When the volume is less that 7 or there is a quite spot in a song/cd is loading, there is a high pitched sound that the speakers emit. I have since diconnected the lights and that fixed the problem. The lights are grounded to the frame and there is only a power wire running to the amp. Wondering if anyone knows of a device that I can put between the lights and the amp to stop this distortion from occuring?

Evan

ryder_23
12-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Dont wire it from your amp....if you want flashing lights, i think you hafta buy a module that does the job, its like a sensor, and you set how easy or hard it reacts to the beat. just wire up to fuse box, and get one of those pannels.

i dunno thats all i can think of since, i dont have sex lights in my car...

Fluidic
12-18-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
i dunno thats all i can think of since, i dont have sex lights in my car...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

spike98
12-18-2003, 10:00 PM
The lights are grounded to the frame and there is only a power wire running to the amp.

There is your problem! Car audio amps DO NOT have common ground. Well some of the really old ones do but yours doesn't. My suggestion if you want your lights to flash with the bass would be to hook it up to an amp. BUT not the amp you use for your stereo. Blown bulb = fried amp and that is bad. Get a el cheapo amp from a pawn shop that is like 35w x 2 or something small. Run the apropriate wires and hook "+" of light to "+" on amp. And "-" of light to "-" on amp. DO NOT USE COMMON GROUND!

If you insist on not using another amp and want to use the one you have for your stereo then you can. Again + to + and - to -. This will effect your whole system. The lightbulb can changed the reactive load your amp sees. If your bulb blows then it will short your amp and possiably fry the FET's in your amp.

Anyways when you get them hooked up have fun with your "sex" lights!:poosie:

tegdream
12-18-2003, 10:49 PM
or you could just do things the hard way and by the neons with the beat sensor and not have to worry bout another amp :rolleyes:

spike98
12-18-2003, 11:06 PM
Oh sorry i was telling him how to do it the BEST way and what i would do. He can just toss out the neons he has already and go spend more money on some different ones (note: sarcasm).

It is hard to find a set of multiple neons that will run off of one controler and very expensive to boot. If you buy sevral neons that each have a seperate controler it is hard to match the sensitivity of the controlers to all match. Using a DMM it can be done. But then you have to install all of the controlers in the same spot to make sure they receive the same audio input. Also this can be hard to do.

It would be much easier to run them of a cheap amp. Then to go out and get a whole bunch of new ones. Is $20-$30 alot to spend on a amp at a pawn shop instead of paying $100 for all new neons?

Thanks for craping on my opinon tegdream. It was apreatiated!:rolleyes:

Big_C_racing
12-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the help guys....i'll see if this works then get back to ya.

Evan

Big_C_racing
12-20-2003, 12:22 AM
k guys..I tried what you guys said might workand it did shit all....lights still cause major distortion of speaker signal except the sound it makes is even more high pitched and annoying and now there is no sound at all, only distortion. As soon as I unplug my amp or the lights the sound is back to normal. How much am I looking at having to spend to get one of these module things?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Evan

ryder_23
12-20-2003, 01:50 AM
you can buy the bass lights, u get module and a light or two prolly for 20$, and just snip the module and wire up to the lights your using...should work, but dont wire threw the amp, run a different wire back there, or else you just gonna keep interfering with your system

duffy
12-20-2003, 09:05 AM
On a side note - be careful just hooking the lights up directly to the amp. A long time ago I tried that, and it worked great until I turned the volume up quite loud...

more volume = more power...
more power = some blown up lights...

jdmsource
12-20-2003, 01:23 PM
u should just buy some bass lights! :thumbsup:

Big_C_racing
12-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Where can I get bass lights?

ACS-e36
12-21-2003, 10:09 PM
mega zone! :D

Big_C_racing
12-22-2003, 12:18 AM
never heard of the place before....where is it?

Zero102
12-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Lol, everything I have from there broke a week after I got it.

sammy004
12-24-2003, 05:01 PM
haha you should put wings on your car see if it flys.. the product you need is made by liteglow its called a music controler Part# is AC 1500 its a 3 channel controler that flashes to the music bass you can put as many sexlights as you want on it.

Big_C_racing
12-24-2003, 05:40 PM
K..how bout I dont put wings on my car cuz that's gay. Where do I get this product?

ryder_23
12-24-2003, 05:42 PM
^
and sex lights arnt :rofl:

just goto part source or probably even walmart and buy this product, look around its not to hard to find.

Wildcat
12-24-2003, 05:45 PM
hahaha... sex lights, that was a knee slapper!

sammy004
12-24-2003, 06:03 PM
yeah wal-mart will probally have it you can get it anywhere maybe even crappy tire where you got your sex lights from.