PDA

View Full Version : Headsup to people traveling to Munich

Kobe
07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I booked a cheap hotel right by Munich for $60cad/night since I have to stay here for a night till my flight tomorrow afternoon to portugal..

I had to pay $60EURO for a 1 way taxi to my hotel... The cabbie and hotwire.com showed hotels around the airport went for $200+euro a night..

This is fucken redic, if anyone is stopping in Munich, try to avoid it!

Kobe
07-22-2010, 12:07 PM
I just found out you can take a train that is 10euro and 1hour instead of the 45min cab ride to the airport, you just need to know which train to jump on..

w00t save myself $50euro

thrasher22
07-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Yeah cabs are ridiculous in Germany, I suggested taking one when I was staying with friends and they just laughed and said "we're not that rich". Public transit FTW

ryder_23
07-23-2010, 01:49 PM
All of europe is crazy expensive for cabs. Transit huge ftw.

7thgenvic
07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
The trains in Munich are easy to take. Should have asked zee germans.

Kobe
07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
The trains in Munich are easy to take. Should have asked zee germans.

Yup i got it in the morning and took 2 trains.. (should of costed me like $12euro) but i fucked up since i cant read a word of german and spent $9,60euro on my 1st ticket..

When I'm back in munich in a few days I will know what to do...

I am def learning that public transit is the way to go in Europe...

Feruk
07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
I was just at that airport 2 weeks ago. Cabs are expensive not because it's Europe but because the airport is a fair distance outside the actual city. You discovered the trains I read; there is also bus service into downtown for prolly cheaper then $10euro.

Kobe
08-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
I was just at that airport 2 weeks ago. Cabs are expensive not because it's Europe but because the airport is a fair distance outside the actual city. You discovered the trains I read; there is also bus service into downtown for prolly cheaper then $10euro.

Haha I was in Munich for another day before i went to Poland, and i paid 10,40euro for a ticket to downtown and back on the train which was dirt cheap :)

GTi-RS
08-01-2010, 07:55 AM
hope you're renting a car in Poland, transit is good but not like Germany

Feruk
08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by GTi-RS
hope you're renting a car in Poland, transit is good but not like Germany

Are you kidding me? Poland right now is a MASSIVE mess. The big cities and highways are all torn up due to Euro Cup preparations. If you're going from SW Poland to NW Poland, it's faster to drive twice the distance through Germany. The Polish rail is a nightmare, but still beats renting a car this year.

IMO anyone who has never driven in Europe should not be driving in Poland right now.

GTi-RS
08-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Roads have been torn up since they entered EU. I have driven on there a few times.

Though I have driven in much crazier places in Europe so no problems for me.

Aaaaaron
08-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22
Yeah cabs are ridiculous in Germany, I suggested taking one when I was staying with friends and they just laughed and said "we're not that rich". Public transit FTW
When I was in Berlin I missed my train to catch my flight from Frankfurt to home. I was quoted 800-900 euro for a cab ride haha...in the end I should have taken it cause I still missed my plane by renting a car and driving to Frankfurt.

UndrgroundRider
08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Aaaaaron

When I was in Berlin I missed my train to catch my flight from Frankfurt to home. I was quoted 800-900 euro for a cab ride haha...in the end I should have taken it cause I still missed my plane by renting a car and driving to Frankfurt.

There's a direct ICE between Berlin and Frankfurt every hour or two. If you couldn't wait for the next train, how could you possibly think driving would get you there in time?

Aaaaaron
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

There's a direct ICE between Berlin and Frankfurt every hour or two. If you couldn't wait for the next train, how could you possibly think driving would get you there in time?
Do ICE's run all night? My plane left at 9am and i missed the last inter city of the night and actually driving would have gotten me there in time if the gas station lady gave me directions to frankfurt am main and not the other one.