PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Melinda
07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Alright, this morning I noticed my neighbour's garage was open. I assumed he was at home and thought nothing of it when I left the house. I got home a little while ago and it's still open. I went and rang the doorbell to let them know, since there's no cars out front or people milling about and there was no answer.

Now there are a few things I should mention here:

- This guy has converted his garage into an entertainement room. There's a big screen TV, furniture, decor, all kinds of stuff that probably has some value to it.

HOWEVER

- This guy is a pain in the ass. His 'entertainment room' is a constant source of brutal noise, loud parties (he's a sask roughriders fan and has large football parties for every game) and when we ask him to turn it down, him and his immediate neighbours (he lives across the street from us and his neighbours are all sask fans too so they attend these parties) get very indignant with us, even shouting threats across the street. Plus their noise is usually only turned down for 10 or so mins. This can go on until 2 am some nights.

So needless to say, if someone was to take advantage and ransack the place, I dont think I'd cry too much (even though insurance would replace it for him.) However, it might be the sappy hormonal side of me saying this, but I would actually feel bad for the guy to have his crap stolen because he made a mistake and forgot to close the garage door when he left for work in the morning. Beyond ringing the doorbell (which I did) I'm not a huge fan of the idea of going in there and closing it for him. The last thing I need is to be placed in the scene of the crime if something is already missing. Plus we have a rocky enough relationship with him as is, I dont need further complications nor do I feel like I owe it to him to do him any favors and perhaps he needs this as a lesson to take better care of his shit?

But what would you do? Would you go into the garage and try to close the door for him? He's not usually home till 5 or 6 at night, so it'll be open for another 4 ish hours yet. I think if we made the same error I'd appreciate a neighbour running in there and closing it for us, but other people would feel differently about strangers invading their space like that.

Gah, I'm putting too much thought into this.

bubbley
07-22-2010, 02:17 PM
address?

I'd say screw it, I can see this type of guy trying to blame you for something missing or of that nature..

Zewind
07-22-2010, 02:23 PM
You tried with the doorbell.
He might have it open for a reason, who knows.

GOnSHO
07-22-2010, 02:24 PM
grab the TV.. ill give you 100.00 and ill come get it tonight. haha!

kvg
07-22-2010, 02:26 PM
you tryed:dunno:

if hes a dick leave it

Phenix
07-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Just leave it. The weather isn't horrible

pdm111
07-22-2010, 02:29 PM
close it and leave a note? maybe he'll keep the noise down the next time you ask...

syeve
07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
..get very indignant with us, even shouting threats across the street...

Answered your question right here. Fuck him.

masoncgy
07-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Meh.. he's a douche and treats you poorly as a neighbor... I'd put up signs saying "Free Stuff here" and arrow pointing to the garage...

...take the signs down just before he gets home, of course.

spike98
07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Answered your question right here. Fuck him.

I'd pop in and close the door. Sometimes it better to take the high road.

As a consulation prize, if he did leave it open for a reason and you closing it locked him out of his garage then well oh well.

FivE.SeveN
07-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Just saying

1 kijiji post would solve all those problems. :rofl:

n1zm0
07-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN
Just saying

1 kijiji post would solve all those problems. :rofl:

yeah in a matter of 5 mins of posting it too.. :rofl:

i say screw it, if hes being a shitty reckless neighbor with a grudge (same goes fo rthe friends who yell across the street @ you), you didnt see fk all, being 'neighborly' only works in one situation, with good neighbors

GoChris
07-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I'd stay off his property and leave it.

Unknown303
07-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd steal all of his stuff.

Freeskier
07-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by spike98

I'd pop in and close the door. Sometimes it better to take the high road.

As a consulation prize, if he did leave it open for a reason and you closing it locked him out of his garage then well oh well.

I'm with spike.

Kloubek
07-22-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree - if he is a douche, I would not give two shits.

SRT
07-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Who cares. Forget about it..

kamakurakid
07-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I agree - if he is a douche, I would not give two shits.

Second this medium road, unless of course you wish to carry the question with you for a few days. You posted here, so you know the right thing to do. High road is to close the garage door, I did this yesterday for my neighbour, I might not do it for another though.

There are far worse things out there than some guy watching movies too loud, irritating as it is. On the other hand, a lower road approach is an option. Using a garage as a "living area" means the city might be interested in the changes to his house use and value, raising his taxes in the process. I have a relative who sits on a city (not Calgary) tax board, she reviews every report that crosses her desk, neighbours do out neighbours in these sorts of things. Interior things like solid oak flooring, window upgrades, exotic woods used on the interior, kitchen renos, etc. Garages contain toxic gases from vehicles (running or not), they are not to used as living areas. This is why we do not have our cars in our living rooms.

High, medium or lower road?

ercchry
07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
i would take the tv and set it up in your house, invite him over to watch the game saturday :rofl:

Tomaz
07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Meh.. he's a douche and treats you poorly as a neighbor... I'd put up signs saying "Free Stuff here" and arrow pointing to the garage...

Win

e31
07-22-2010, 03:45 PM
The least I would do is unhook his surround sound speakers...

Old Snake
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by kvg
you tryed:dunno:

if hes a dick leave it

This too.

adidas
07-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Go outside and wave ppl on in, tell them you are having a moving sale.

You 1
Neighbor 0

Melinda
07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Ah well, one of the other neighbours who join him in his partying came home about an hour ago and closed it for him. I'm off the hook, but it's good to know most of you agreed with what I ended up doing.

kaput
07-22-2010, 05:05 PM

JordanLotoski
07-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Hahahahahah. Yeah i also say ignore it, he's an adult, he shoulda closed it.