PDA

View Full Version : Police shoving disabled woman caught on video

5hift
07-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Police shoving woman on video raises questions

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association is demanding an explanation from the Vancouver Police Department after a surveillance video surfaced showing an officer pushing a disabled woman to the ground.

The woman, who is suffering from multiple sclerosis, appears to brush an officer, who is walking with two others.

The officer then shoves the woman to the ground and the three stand over her, before walking away, leaving her lying on the ground.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/07/22/bc-civil-liberties-police-push-ms-woman-video.html#ixzz0uRpMh5A3

So the tough guy bitch reaches out of his way to push a disabled woman down in bright daylight in the middle of a crowd. I wonder what they would do in a back alley alone.

He does a great job of showcasing the typical arrogance of a police officer though.

Integra10
07-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Police shoving woman on video raises questions

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association is demanding an explanation from the Vancouver Police Department after a surveillance video surfaced showing an officer pushing a disabled woman to the ground.

The woman, who is suffering from multiple sclerosis, appears to brush an officer, who is walking with two others.

The officer then shoves the woman to the ground and the three stand over her, before walking away, leaving her lying on the ground.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/07/22/bc-civil-liberties-police-push-ms-woman-video.html#ixzz0uRpMh5A3

So the tough guy bitch reaches out of his way to push a disabled woman down in bright daylight in the middle of a crowd. I wonder what they would do in a back alley alone.

He does a great job of showcasing the typical arrogance of a police officer though.

Who are you to question police procedures? To quote an officer "Tactical reasons, plain and simple. I'm not going to explain further because that would obviously compromise our tactics and techniques, but I can assure you there are very good reasons for these things."

They were on Hastings street. There was a good possibility she was a drug dealer. She probably even had a gun.

masoncgy
07-22-2010, 03:27 PM
How do you know that she didn't spit at them as she approached? You can tell from the body language of those involved that it wasn't just your ordinary passing by.

Just sayin'... that's one bad neighborhood filled with crazies... you never know what transpired.

gretz
07-22-2010, 03:30 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by Integra10

Who are you to question police procedures? To quote an officer "Tactical reasons, plain and simple. I'm not going to explain further because that would obviously compromise our tactics and techniques, but I can assure you there are very good reasons for these things."

They were on Hastings street. There was a good possibility she was a drug dealer. She probably even had a gun. [/QUOTE]

ya, that looks plenty technical and tactical lol...

Problably had a gun as well as a drug dealer... is the tactical technical team in charge of issuing officers to push down potentially armed drug dealers??

Canucks3322
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Looked like an asshole move but I'm not quite sure how this is "typical arrogance of the police"?

There's assholes in every profession. If he's guilty, fire him, end of story.

Integra10
07-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by gretz
QUOTE]Originally posted by Integra10

They were on Hastings street. There was a good possibility she was a drug dealer. She probably even had a gun.

ya, that looks plenty technical and tactical lol...

Problably had a gun as well as a drug dealer... is the tactical technical team in charge of issuing officers to push down potentially armed drug dealers?? [/QUOTE]

Maybe I should have put /sarcasm at the end of my post? Was it really needed?

gretz
07-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Integra10

Maybe I should have put /sarcasm at the end of my post? Was it really needed?

lol, I thought it was.... it was just fun to enlighten though lol...

broken_legs
07-22-2010, 03:55 PM
looks to me like she was going to go right, then decided to go left because her gimp walk couldn't get her around the flanking officer. She tried to go between the flanking officer and the middle one and the cop didn't like that so he pushed her down.

lellowrx7
07-22-2010, 03:59 PM
questionable call on hastings.
without sound anything coulda happened and we have no idea

Integra10
07-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
questionable call on hastings.
without sound anything coulda happened and we have no idea

Even if she did somehow "Assault the officer" is the new police procedure to push them down? Than stand around them for a while and walk away? No more police reports needed? It just goes to show you there's a problem especially when none of the other officers helped her out. Being loyal to their brothers in blue is more important than helping a fallen cripple who has just been assaulted. A picture is worth a thousand words. This video alot more.

Also if you did that..wouldn't that be assault? Laws don't apply to people in uniforms?

Integra10
07-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Double post :banghead: :banghead:

masoncgy
07-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Say she spit on his leg, without sound, how do you know they were not 'standing around' advising the woman that they could have arrested her and charged her with assault?

Perhaps he shouldn't have pushed her down in response, but I really don't believe that it was for no reason... you can tell that it wasn't an ordinary, everyday type of passing by... something was said or something was done to provoke that reaction.

That's just my take... :dunno:

Integra10
07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Say she spit on his leg, without sound, how do you know they were not 'standing around' advising the woman that they could have arrested her and charged her with assault?

Perhaps he shouldn't have pushed her down in response, but I really don't believe that it was for no reason... you can tell that it wasn't an ordinary, everyday type of passing by... something was said or something was done to provoke that reaction.

That's just my take... :dunno:

So now all that is required for use of physical force is saying something that they don't like? They were not holding her down in the video they were standing around. Standing around a quadriplegic who is lying on the ground and not helping.

phil98z24
07-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Seriously? You are using what I said about not using floodlights in a barricaded armed gunman situation and applying it to this? :rofl:

I can just stop contributing to this forum if things I say are going to be skewed around for the convenient use of the anti-police crowd. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

masoncgy
07-22-2010, 04:52 PM
So now all that is required for use of physical force is saying something that they don't like?

No... but like I said, I doubt this occurred out of the blue for no reason. Perhaps I'm wrong, but given this is the DTES, I doubt it.

They were not holding her down in the video they were standing around. Standing around a quadriplegic who is lying on the ground and not helping.

I never said they were holding her down, I said perhaps she spit on one of them and they were 'standing around' advising her that next time it would be an arrest...

... and since when can a quadriplegic walk?

Integra10
07-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24

Seriously? You are using what I said about not using floodlights in a barricaded armed gunman situation and applying it to this? :rofl:

I can just stop contributing to this forum if things I say are going to be skewed around for the convenient use of the anti-police crowd. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Haha no read a few posts down. I said i was being sarcastic it was a joke.

Originally posted by masoncgy

No... but like I said, I doubt this occurred out of the blue for no reason. Perhaps I'm wrong, but given this is the DTES, I doubt it.

Maybe you're right but I don't see there being any reason for him to use any sort of physical force.

I never said they were holding her down, I said perhaps she spit on one of them and they were 'standing around' advising her that next time it would be an arrest...

I never said that you said they were holding her down. I said they are not holding her down so I would think therefore she is not resisting in any way. Maybe they should have helped her out when she was down?

... and since when can a quadriplegic walk?
Touche

I was thinking disabled but typed quadriplegic. Don't know why I did that lol.

Isaiah
07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
...Standing around a quadriplegic who is lying on the ground and not helping.
That's one hell of a quadriplegic.

gretz
07-22-2010, 05:00 PM

What can you deduce from the video? What would make you push someone like that to the ground on duty ?

Even if she called the officer down to the lowest, put up her fists, and said "wanna try to push me on the ground"... How can this be justified?

DayGlow
07-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Personally I can deduce that one of two things happenned:

1) cop is a complete asshole and shoved her out of his way.

2) as broken legs described the woman stumbled into the cop and he moved her away from him and because of her physical impairment she fell over. He then asked if she was alright and moved on.

Personally I've been in situation #2. I've had people either through physical or chemical impairment stumble into me and I've moved them out of my personal space where the fall over from said impairment. I did arrest them or make note of it because it is a common occurance.

v2kai
07-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
Personally I can deduce that one of two things happenned:

1) cop is a complete asshole and shoved her out of his way.

2) as broken legs described the woman stumbled into the cop and he moved her away from him and because of her physical impairment she fell over. He then asked if she was alright and moved on.

Personally I've been in situation #2. I've had people either through physical or chemical impairment stumble into me and I've moved them out of my personal space where the fall over from said impairment. I did arrest them or make note of it because it is a common occurance.

I dont think police should have to put up with drunk people falling into them or if they feel someone is too close too their weapon or moving them forcefully is to maintain control of a situation is justified. But in this particular case shoving this lady to the ground is complete bullshit. I had hoped police hold themselves to a higher standard, even if this lady DID spit or cuss or look poorly at them that doesn't justify this. There is three of them for shits sake. He purposely saw her the way she was hobbling, she was turned away from him still walking, didn't make an aggressive moves, he thinks about it for a good split second and then shoves her to the ground.

That wouldn't fly if they weren't in uniform and it shouldn't just because they are. :thumbsdow

dayglow I usually agree whole-heartedly with your posts but this:

this is quite the euphemism. he moved her away from him.... he shoved her. What you said isn't untrue but it would be equally appropriate then to describe diffusing a situation by drawing your weapon and acting with force versus through means of talking and communicating, both accomplish the result it's all about how you decide to portray it and it's clear they are not the same.

asking her if she's okay standing over her afterwards doesnt cut it. It's okay to punch someone in the face if you ask if theyre okay afterwards....

Jeremiah
07-22-2010, 06:02 PM
She looked like she was tweakin

DayGlow
07-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by v2kai

I dont think police should have to put up with drunk people falling into them or if they feel someone is too close too their weapon or moving them forcefully is to maintain control of a situation is justified. But in this particular case shoving this lady to the ground is complete bullshit. I had hoped police hold themselves to a higher standard, even if this lady DID spit or cuss or look poorly at them that doesn't justify this. There is three of them for shits sake. He purposely saw her the way she was hobbling, she was turned away from him still walking, didn't make an aggressive moves, he thinks about it for a good split second and then shoves her to the ground.

That wouldn't fly if they weren't in uniform and it shouldn't just because they are. :thumbsdow

dayglow I usually agree whole-heartedly with your posts but this:

this is quite the euphemism. he moved her away from him.... he shoved her. What you said isn't untrue but it would be equally appropriate then to describe diffusing a situation by drawing your weapon and acting with force versus through means of talking and communicating, both accomplish the result it's all about how you decide to portray it and it's clear they are not the same.

asking her if she's okay standing over her afterwards doesnt cut it. It's okay to punch someone in the face if you ask if theyre okay afterwards....

Just watched the video again on a better screen than my iPhone. There is some time/separation from the impact to the push, so yes it does appear to be more retaliatory vs reactionary.

Buddy has some explaining to do.

403Gemini
07-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Is everybody failing to look at the right side of the video of all the homeless/junkies? If you had a gun (likely on your right side) and somebody was walking towards you stumbling around that either looks drunk or high as shit, would you say "Kind lady, please step away from my firearm" as she falls into you? :rolleyes:

For fuck sakes, I guarantee all the people who are saying the cop is an asshole would push the lady if she stumbled into them on the street, even though they aren't cops and have no weapons.

That being said, without sound, or being right there you can't really tell WHAT transpired, since the video is shitty quality and without sound. I pretty much remain neutral on this video. I can see it being a misjudgment of the cop who may have thought she was just trashed outta her mind.

Originally posted by DayGlow

Just watched the video again on a better screen than my iPhone. There is some time/separation from the impact to the push, so yes it does appear to be more retaliatory vs reactionary.

Buddy has some explaining to do.

Gonna have to watch it on my home comp then, cause on my iphone, looks like she walks right into him.

adidas
07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
The best part of the video is how everyone scoures as soon as the cops appear to be in the area.

03ozwhip
07-22-2010, 08:34 PM
maybe when she was trying to get by, she brushed his gun side and reacted as if she might try and grab the gun???:dunno:

403Gemini
07-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Watching the vid on my home comp now, it does look like something happened or something was said, he reared back looked at her then shoved her.

:dunno:

Who knows, maybe it was to close to his weapon, maybe she said something, maybe he thought she was just a junkie that was breaking the line of the 3 cops, etc.

revelations
07-22-2010, 08:50 PM
- why arent the members wearing gloves?

- it wasnt the nicest thing to do by any means, but it wasnt a two handed push hard enough to break someones neck or anything

- the VPD deal with crackheads all the time trying to make their lives miserable. Sometimes its hard to differentiate a legitimate mental-health case person from a crackhead

- the officer apologized to the victim

4lti
07-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Shouldnt it mean something if right when the cops come on the scene everyone splits.
No one wants to be around cops anymore.
Cops are like a gang, but the thing is they have government backing them.

403Gemini
07-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 4lti
Shouldnt it mean something if right when the cops come on the scene everyone splits.

That chances are the people "splitting" are doing something illegal? :dunno: I don't run away when I see a cop, do you?

[Yu]
07-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 4lti
No one wants to be around cops anymore.
Cops are like a gang, but the thing is they have government backing them.

Dude, what kind of comparison is this??? Cops to Gangs???

I didn't watch the people, but people mentioned it was Hastings. It is clear that a lot of the activity going on around there is questionable. Obviously people would "split" if police are around when these people might be doing some unlawful activity.

idioteque
07-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Dude, don't worry about it. In a few years, most of these "cop haters" will grow to understand and respect our police. While i don't condone the seemingly unnecessary aggression in this video, I do agree that there is a strong anti-cop sentiment among some members on this forum. That said, they are just rebellious kids, doing what rebellious kids do... Don't know about you, but i would have been spewing the same shit 15 years ago, too. :dunno:

Sugarphreak
07-22-2010, 09:14 PM

EG STyLeZ
07-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by revelations
- why arent the members wearing gloves?

- it wasnt the nicest thing to do by any means, but it wasnt a two handed push hard enough to break someones neck or anything

- the VPD deal with crackheads all the time trying to make their lives miserable. Sometimes its hard to differentiate a legitimate mental-health case person from a crackhead

- the officer apologized to the victim

Wtf so pushing a woman to the ground with a single hand is an acceptable thing to do but once you use two hands you're out of line? Is it possible that this woman was handicapped and a light push would cause her to fall to the ground and seriously injure her?

idioteque
07-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I think a lot of people here value your posts here phil98z24 even if they don't post, I know I always find them insightful.

It is pretty awesome (to me anyway) that we have local law enforcement to balance things out on the site.

:thumbsup:

revelations
07-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ

Wtf so pushing a woman to the ground with a single hand is an acceptable thing to do but once you use two hands you're out of line? Is it possible that this woman was handicapped and a light push would cause her to fall to the ground and seriously injure her?

Show me where I said it is considered "acceptable" to push someone down.