PDA

View Full Version : What are you all running for wheels and tires???

ekguy
07-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Old bike just had some cheap sun ringle rims with some Kenda k-rads. New bike has some maddux ddy's I believe anyways, and running kenda blue grooves.

After reading the reviews on those tires i'm thinking I'm gonna be switching for something a bit stronger soon here. Also have read my wheelset is a bit on the heavy side.

So let's hear it. What is everyone running. And wouldn't mind hearing suggestions on a decently priced wheelset that would save me some weight.

ekguy
07-24-2010, 06:33 PM
No one wants to share the specs on their wheels??

98type_r
07-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Crossmax ST wheels, can't go wrong with a mavic wheelset.
tubeless IRC Mibro 2.1" tires front and back.

scary_perry
07-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I have FSA XC300-SL wheels and Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 tires.

The tires are way too heavy for me. I prefer to race up and coast down. I don't need beefy tires for the way I drive.

Even though I am fat as hell,I plan to get some really light tires (Fast Freds or some other Schwalbe tires)), tubes (50gm each) and QR levers (Token or Control Techs). That should chop 2 lbs from my bike.

The best wheels I ever had were White Industries hubs (back when they rival Ringle and Chris King) laced with Marwi Ti-Dye titanium spokes to ultra light S-Works rims. They were probably 1200 gram front and rear combined.

ekguy
07-26-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm trying to find a balance between weight and abuse taking ability. The more I read the more I figure I'll be sticking with wheels that may be a bit too heavy for my liking but what can ya do really...

ekguy
07-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Crossmax ST wheels, can't go wrong with a mavic wheelset.
tubeless IRC Mibro 2.1" tires front and back.

how is tubeless anyways? Never asked anyone who actually runs them.

98type_r
07-26-2010, 10:57 AM
2+ seasons of riding without any issues on tubeless tires. I switch after getting three pinch flats on one ride a few years back and haven't looked back. Takes a little more time to get them mounted but definitely worth it IMO

scary_perry
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
so you just squirt a can of stan's in there and you are set?

98type_r
07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I've never tried the stan's no tubes, only used UST tubeless wheels and tires.

syeve
08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
I have nothing but excellent experiences with tubeless. I have two years of tubeless with ZERO flats, and I beat the shit out of my tires.

I run mavic crossmax XT with IRC Serac XC.

scary_perry
08-28-2010, 09:24 AM
I got the small block 8 tires from MEC.

- have them on my cx bike and like them
- they are pretty light 500 gms