PDA

View Full Version : Registry Question

mbhendrick
07-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Hi guys:

Maybe you can help me here.

I have a friend who owns a bodyshop in Alberta. They had a guy come in from the states who had an accident with his Chevy truck in Calgary. His truck was damaged and only had general liability car insurance. He didn't want to fix the car as he would have had to pay out of his pocket for the repair. He sold the car for a dollar to my friends, who then have now fixed it up. It does not have a repaired vehicle status as the car was never written off by insurance. Now they want to register the car in Canada legally to drive it and possibly sell it. What would they have to do to register it. My gut tells me they would have to pay GST on the purchase price to bring it into Canada, take it for an inspection and then register it, like any other import?

Does anyone have any ideas of what they would have to do to register it for the road? I was thinking about possibly buying this truck myself as a winter beater.

bignerd
07-25-2010, 12:35 AM
They will probably have to pay GST on what customs and revenue thinks the truck is worth since it was only purchased for a dollar...

but the rest of the process sounds about right.

Team_Mclaren
07-25-2010, 12:58 AM
drive the truck back to the states, proceeds with regular importing process. Which means the car must remain in the US for 72 hours before exporting.

derran.m
07-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
drive the truck back to the states, proceeds with regular importing process. Which means the car must remain in the US for 72 hours before exporting.

Yep it needs to be there at the border when they clear it in, in case Customs wants to inspect it... and yes, it must be down there for 72 hrs

Hate to say it but i think they are fawked. In order to get it down south of the border they will need registration/insurance. Right there I think they will be screwed because how would they insure/register a vehicle that is in Canada basically illegally?

Cos
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
^^ +1 that is the way I see it too

Rarasaurus
07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Insurance i do not believe would be hard to get. You get that without having a car registered. Sign a new bill of sale and then you have 2 weeks to register it using another current plate.

Might be wrong but i believe that would work.