PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Coachworks - any recent reviews?

shadezofgrey
07-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has recently had any bodywork done at Contemporary Coachworks? I did a quick search and found the newest thread on the company to date back to 2006, so not sure how valid those reviews are today. Reason I ask is my car's all nice and crater faced after the recent hailstorm and my insurance company has sent me off to get an estimate done by them.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

5fivespeed
07-25-2010, 02:53 AM
Probably one of the top quality shops in Calgary. Also see Screamin' Paintworks.

Ray

Mibz
07-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Pretty sure Rage's M3 was done in '08 wasn't it? I think the thread is called "Fuck Chinese Women" or something to that effect.

JAYMEZ
07-25-2010, 08:21 AM
My BMW is going in on Monday for my body kit ect.. Ive taken a few cars there , awesome work. :thumbsup:

BokCh0y
07-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
My BMW is going in on Monday for my body kit ect.. Ive taken a few cars there , awesome work. :thumbsup:

Agree with Jaymez. I've taken a few cars there too, excellent work. I'll be taking my SUV there soon also.

mikey008
07-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Just got my car back last week from them. The south location, great service, and they did a great job on my car as well!! Replaced my driver side quarter panel....cant even tell.

Highly reccomend!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

shadezofgrey
07-25-2010, 01:06 PM
haha sweet, thanks for the replies guys! feelin a lot more confident about the place, much appreciated! :)

Deetz
07-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, they have two locations. I have my car done there at the newer location in the South, they do very nice work!!

here's a pic in the paint booth :)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/deetzcrx/jamies_pic_0301800x600.jpg

Power_Of_Rotary
07-25-2010, 05:39 PM
me and my buddy both had our cars done at contemporary (NE location).

My buddy's experience: poor glue work on installing hood causing windsheild spray to not spray. Front end repair went terribly wrong somehow causing headlights to be uneven. as for the paint, it peeled twice. They had to respray the bumper twice.

My experience: I had crappy service for one, and il get the link up of my post about them before. They broke my PASSENGER side sunvisor and wouldnt stand up for it. My repairs were over 2500 bucks, and the shop guy says im lying. Do i really need to scam them over a 80 dollar piece? After a talk with the manager they agreed to replace it for me, but shop guy was still giving me terrible attitude.

overall, would not recommend them. They are more expensive than average shops, but they dont live up to the price.

Weapon_R
07-25-2010, 06:10 PM
I think they are one of the best in town. Went there three times over the past few years and each time, I couldn't even tell there was any paintwork done at all.

NightFX2
07-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Repainted my bumper after being rear ended, did an awesome job. :thumbsup:

2BLUE
07-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by NightFX2
Repainted my bumper after being rear ended, did an awesome job. :thumbsup:

What did this cost you?

AllGoNoShow
07-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Contemporary Coachworks South :thumbsup: Great work!

North I can't speak for but the south store does awesome work.

lint
07-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Tomco PDR is at the south location for a limited engagement as well :poosie:

realazy
07-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Our car is booked in with Tomco there next week to fix the hail damage.

K2`
07-26-2010, 02:34 PM
The south one used to be good when i brought my car to them last year. They now have a new manager... kind of a dick if you ask me.

Long story short, i got rear-ended and other party's insurance is paying for it, the manager doesn't think its their fault, and told the other party to have another appraiser go look at the damage.

its now taking a lot longer than expected, in the end, i'm not taking it back to Contemporary to do the work. Their loss.

beyond_ban
07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
. oops .

Mskye
07-26-2010, 04:16 PM
They do really good work, but you have to be careful and make sure you take pictures yourself of your car before you bring it in. When I went there were door dings and they said they didn't do it, and my boyfriend brought his car there too and he had them as well.

Mibz
07-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by K2`
The south one used to be good when i brought my car to them last year. They now have a new manager... kind of a dick if you ask me.

Long story short, i got rear-ended and other party's insurance is paying for it, the manager doesn't think its their fault, and told the other party to have another appraiser go look at the damage.

its now taking a lot longer than expected, in the end, i'm not taking it back to Contemporary to do the work. Their loss. Wait.

So you're saying that you (Person A) got rear-ended (by Person B). Person B's insurance was paying and you took it to Contemporary Coachworks. The manager there (Person C) didn't think the collision was Person B's fault so he told the insurance company to have an appraiser come look and re-assess the fault?

01RedDX
07-26-2010, 05:08 PM

K2`
07-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Wait.

So you're saying that you (Person A) got rear-ended (by Person B). Person B's insurance was paying and you took it to Contemporary Coachworks. The manager there (Person C) didn't think the collision was Person B's fault so he told the insurance company to have an appraiser come look and re-assess the fault?

you got it! forgot one more detail, Person B was going to pay out of pocket, because that person did not want to have their premiums go up. So Person C somehow convince them to go through insurance, and have it re-assessed.

The damage on my bumper is not like its falling off or anything, but the sides are definitely poking out, and scratches and dents on the bottom.

In the end, insurance is paying it all, Person B's premiums are most likely going to increase (new driver) and Person C is not getting any of that work + money.

I've been to the south location before when my car got broken into. Different manager... it was much better before, treated me like a king. None of this run-around crap.

ragu
07-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
They are considered a high-end bodyshop. They even charge for estimates.

Nope, I've got over 5 estimates there in past three years and all were free. They are really good; I'll give their work 9/10.

JAYMEZ
07-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Dropped off my BMW there today.

Mibz
07-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by K2`

you got it! forgot one more detail, Person B was going to pay out of pocket, because that person did not want to have their premiums go up. So Person C somehow convince them to go through insurance, and have it re-assessed.

The damage on my bumper is not like its falling off or anything, but the sides are definitely poking out, and scratches and dents on the bottom.

In the end, insurance is paying it all, Person B's premiums are most likely going to increase (new driver) and Person C is not getting any of that work + money.

I've been to the south location before when my car got broken into. Different manager... it was much better before, treated me like a king. None of this run-around crap. Man, I would -love- to hear what Person C has to say about that.

K2`
07-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Man, I would -love- to hear what Person C has to say about that.

Screamin' Paintworks FTW

2BLUE
08-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Do they charge hourly? What did you spend to get your civic painted?

USED1
08-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Dropped off my BMW there today.

JAYMEZ did you take it to the North or South location?

JAYMEZ
08-04-2010, 12:25 PM
South Location. Had a few cars go to them . Great work!

saiyajin
09-27-2010, 09:49 AM
so with my thread

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/316153/insurance-claim-which-is-a-good-shop/

looks like Contemporary is under TD Insurance but seems everyone is flocking to the south location... is the north one better to be avoiding and go south??

Weapon_R
09-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I've always used the North location and my reviews are based on that. Great work there, never went to the South

BokCh0y
09-27-2010, 11:10 AM
same with me. So far have only used teh North, never the south as of yet.

JAYMEZ
09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Got my BMW done up by them... Looks stock with the body kit on. Amazing work!! And yes it costs alot , but I am very happy with the end result!

rollinv4l
10-01-2010, 02:58 PM
how much do you guy's think that a 2 tone would cost on my truck from this place

shadezofgrey
12-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Thought I'd give an update now that my car's finally been in/out of the shop.

First up, the car looks awesome!! Specifically I can't see any remainders from the hail damage :). I should point out that the car had lots of fun little dings (some of which I'm sure I could rest a golf ball comfortably in) along the hood, roof, trunk, up and down the a and c pillars, and I think one of the rear fenders as well.

As well, from what I understand TomcoPDR were brought in as a PDR unit at Contemporary and were the guys who worked on my car; so in mentioning that I just wanted to say that I think TomcoPDR in particular do incredible work!

Other than that I thought the staff who I spoke with at Contemporary were all very helpful and friendly. In short I'm really satisfied with my overall experience at Contemporary (South).

On a final note I just wanted to thank those who replied for their input - it definitely helped put my mind at ease about the place prior to dropping off my car to be worked on.

TomcoPDR
12-16-2010, 04:54 PM
^ Thanks man. :) What car do you drive?

max_boost
12-22-2010, 10:25 PM
How much does a full paint job cost nowadays? $8000? $10000?

For NSX if it matters.

I know I can go and import another one in the right color but seriously, the money I lose selling this one and then buying another one, might as well just paint it lol

I plan to keep the car long term so I don't care about resale value. :D

That.Guy.S30
12-22-2010, 10:39 PM
^ really depends sam. are you gonna respray a different color or same color? do NSx's have different engine bay color?

I got a quote for 8000 (from someone else) and that includes me taking my own car apart and putting it back together.

edit: and that was painting it the same color. I would think CC would charge more.

max_boost
12-22-2010, 10:48 PM
What the hell? 8000 and you have to take it apart yourself?

Front trunk area I was gonna leave alone.
http://members.shaw.ca/samtang310/NSX/3.JPG

Mid engine and no need for paint.
http://members.shaw.ca/samtang310/NSX/2.JPG

Other than that, full exterior, door jams and the inner part of the rear trunk.

I was just gonna paint it straight black. Black is so gangster.

shadezofgrey
12-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
^ Thanks man. :) What car do you drive?

lol np. I drive a beat up rsx that would've rolled into the shop earlier this month

TomcoPDR
12-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by shadezofgrey

lol np. I drive a beat up rsx that would've rolled into the shop earlier this month

Oh the black RSX. There was this huge and deep dent on the right quarter :nut: that was tough.

Max_Boost: Why need a repaint? Have you tried getting it polished?

shakalaka
12-23-2010, 03:58 AM
I have some small dents/door dings (around 4) on my passenger side door of the Z, that bug the shit out of me. I think I got them from other people banging their doors into the car. Roughly, how much would I be looking at if I want to get rid of them? Tom?

I have a whole bunch of rock chips in the front bumper, under the side skirts etc. Been debating if I want to repaint the whole car and then 3M it or something. Wish it weren't so expensive to repaint a car. For 8K, I can easily get a decent winter beater or a nice bike for the summer.

TomcoPDR
12-23-2010, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I have a some small dents (around 4) on my passenger side door of the Z, that bug the shit out of me. I think I got them from other people banging their doors into the car. Roughly, how much would I be looking at if I want to get rid of them? Tom?

Can you send me photos of the dent/damage?

shakalaka
12-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Sure, I will take a few pictures first thing in the morning and send them your way. Look for my pm.

Thanks.

shadezofgrey
12-23-2010, 07:47 PM

Oh the black RSX. There was this huge and deep dent on the right quarter :nut: that was tough.

Max_Boost: Why need a repaint? Have you tried getting it polished?

yep, that's the one. it was depressing as hell looking at all those dents over the past few months. now that she's all fixed up though it's like falling in love again and again everytime I see her... at least when she's not caked in 20 layers of snow, salt, mud, etc lol

KRZY403
02-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Just got my car back from Contemporary Coachworks today for hail repairs and it looks amazing! Tomcopdr and CC really live up to their reputation on here. Every panel was smooth again and the paint matched perfectly! I was even more impressed when they went the extra mile to fix the damaged windshield molding that may or may not have been damaged in the hail storm, put back all the panels properly (that weren't previously by another shop), and detailed the entire car inside and out! Just wanna thank TomcoPDR and CC again for the excellent work. :thumbsup: If anything were to happen again down the road, they'll be the ones getting my money! Highly recommend the both of them!

BokCh0y
02-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by KRZY403
Just got my car back from Contemporary Coachworks today for hail repairs and it looks amazing! Tomcopdr and CC really live up to their reputation on here. Every panel was smooth again and the paint matched perfectly! I was even more impressed when they went the extra mile to fix the damaged windshield molding that may or may not have been damaged in the hail storm, put back all the panels properly (that weren't previously by another shop), and detailed the entire car inside and out! Just wanna thank TomcoPDR and CC again for the excellent work. :thumbsup: If anything were to happen again down the road, they'll be the ones getting my money! Highly recommend the both of them!

Did you have it at the South location?

I was at the South location yesterday to get a quote and I saw them working on a Black RSX. Just thought what a clean looking ride :thumbsup:

_wrx_
02-03-2011, 12:04 AM
contemp is awesome! i always go to the south location and the two times i have gone i have had only pleasant experiences. :hitit:

TomcoPDR
02-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

I was at the South location yesterday to get a quote and I saw them working on a Black RSX. Just thought what a clean looking ride :thumbsup:

Why didn't you come say hi??? :( Thought we buds.

SpeedIllusion
02-03-2011, 01:01 AM
I will put in a +1 for Screamin'
My car had $11,000 worth of hail damage and when I got it back it looked like it just came out of the factory!

Also, when I ran out of my rental car insurance credit, Screamin' hooked me up with a rental at no cost till the car was done.

KRZY403
02-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Yea that was prob my car that you saw. Thanks!

Mar
02-03-2011, 04:10 AM
Been there many times, they repainted my rear bumper twice, repainted my front bumper once, repainted my trunk, removed my rear H and replaced my hood.

All positive experiences.

BokCh0y
02-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Why didn't you come say hi??? :( Thought we buds.

Sorry dai lo, i didn't see you, otherwise I totally woulda!!! Happy New Year btw :)

Originally posted by KRZY403

Yea that was prob my car that you saw. Thanks!

Yeah so clean...nice work totally :drool:

88CRX
02-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Will contemporary do aftermarket stuff?

Mar
02-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Will contemporary do aftermarket stuff? They're a body shop, they'll do any body work you'll pay them for. If you want something installed you'll have to take it to somewhere like Auto Dream.

turbotrip
12-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Moe Man
01-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Deetz
Yeah, they have two locations. I have my car done there at the newer location in the South, they do very nice work!!

here's a pic in the paint booth :)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/deetzcrx/jamies_pic_0301800x600.jpg

:werd: why are they painting your hood with it on the car? should be hung. Thats how I paint hoods anyway.

8 grand is a little steep for a complete. I am doing a STI for a beyond member complete with door jams, and a change of color from white to red for almost have that, And i am completely stripping the car and putting it back together.

I will put up pics when its done.

civicrider
01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

:werd: why are they painting your hood with it on the car? should be hung. Thats how I paint hoods anyway.

8 grand is a little steep for a complete. I am doing a STI for a beyond member complete with door jams, and a change of color from white to red for almost have that, And i am completely stripping the car and putting it back together.

I will put up pics when its done.

You paint the hood on the car so you can blend into the fenders. If you don't you'll see a color difference especially with a metallic color.

Moe Man
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by civicrider

You paint the hood on the car so you can blend into the fenders. If you don't you'll see a color difference especially with a metallic color.

your blend area on the fenders is going to be about half way down the fender, no need for the hood to be on. Every one does it differently.

ddduke
01-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

Everyone has different over head and bills. I don't know where you work out of, how big your shop is or how many guys you have but this all plays a part in how much you charge. It's easy to charge half of what other companies do when you have little to no over head.