PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Ford Explorer FINALLY REVILED

MGCM
07-25-2010, 03:52 PM
In anticipation of FINALLY getting some real pics of the new 2011 Ford Explorer I thought I'd post up a thread for it lol. Tomorrow morning the full pics are being released, I think it's going to look good. It'll be on my list of potential future vehicles unless Ford fucked up hardcore on something, i doubt that tho. From what I've been reading they plan to install a fair amount of new technology in it. Any of the "preview" pics make it look like a slick new SUV/CUV(w/e u wanna call it).

PulsePro
07-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I hope they do a good job. I used to hate ford with a passion but they've improved significantly which kind of changed my opinion about them. I kinda like them now lol

MGCM
07-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by PulsePro
I hope they do a good job. I used to hate ford with a passion but they've improved significantly which kind of changed my opinion about them. I kinda like them now lol

I can't wait to see the new 2.0L ecoboost engine make it's way to North America in the new AWD Focus RS, u heard me AWD:drool:

if it doesn't make it to North America lol I'm movin to Europe.

01RedDX
07-25-2010, 05:05 PM

MGCM
07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Why do you think it will be reviled? At least wait until they reveal it.

Why? Because Ford said they would..........why else? I could have posted "teaser" pics like Ford has been giving for the past month but I figured nobody would care for them.

Mibz
07-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by MGCM

Why? Because Ford said they would..........why else? I could have posted "teaser" pics like Ford has been giving for the past month but I figured nobody would care for them. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

Sykes
07-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

:rofl:

Anyway...here you go:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/07/11explorer01hr.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/07/11explorer02hr.jpg

I'd put this on my shortlist if I was in the market for one... :thumbsup:

EDIT: More pics HERE (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-ford-explorer/#3204423)

npham
07-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Jesus, Ford is a brand I'd never thought I could drive/own. But they are proving me wrong.

corsvette
07-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Not bad,but i like the looks of the new Jeep GC better,this new Explorer is a big improvement over the old model,but it is now baised on more of a car platform,i think the new Toyota 4 runner is the only body on frame suv left.

403ep3
07-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Lol what's with people spelling revealed as reviled lately? Soooo annoying haha.

Disoblige
07-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Looks way better than the Jeep IMO, and interior is fantastic! Maybe it's just my lack of faith in Jeep over the years. Explorer keeps getting better!

MGCM
07-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Lol what's with people spelling revealed as reviled lately? Soooo annoying haha.

I blame Firefox:thumbsup:

n1zm0
07-26-2010, 08:33 AM

I blame Firefox:thumbsup:

and i blame our education system

even if you pronounce it out, rev-i'll and rev-eal

Cos
07-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Wow nice.

TorqueDog
07-26-2010, 09:33 AM
The grille looks very Land Rover-y, which I like.

Interior is excellent as has been the way with Ford in the past few years now.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Jalopnik is not impressed, and neither am I. There is a place in this world for traditional body-on-frame style SUVs. If I wanted a crossover, I'd get the Flex.
Jalopnik - 2001 Ford Explorer (http://jalopnik.com/5596161/2011-ford-explorer-this-is-not-an-suv?skyline=true&s=i)

K3RMiTdot
07-26-2010, 10:17 AM
very nice.

Mibz
07-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Jalopnik is not impressed, and neither am I. There is a place in this world for traditional body-on-frame style SUVs. If I wanted a crossover, I'd get the Flex.
Jalopnik - 2001 Ford Explorer (http://jalopnik.com/5596161/2011-ford-explorer-this-is-not-an-suv?skyline=true&s=i) And if you want a body-on-frame SUV then buy one of the ones that already exists. Ford won't miss you.

That article is whining about nothing except the usage of "Explorer" on an otherwise capable, useful and marketable vehicle.

Aleks
07-26-2010, 11:40 AM
That looks great!

dino_martini
07-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Jalopnik - 2001 Ford Explorer (http://jalopnik.com/5596161/2011-ford-explorer-this-is-not-an-suv?skyline=true&s=i)

Most people are moving away from body on frame SUV's cause they are way too thirsty when compared with a cross over. I think Ford made the right choice to make this a cross over. If you want a body on frame SUV, pony up the extra dollars and get the Expedition. Atleast it can actually tow something.

arian_ma
07-26-2010, 11:52 AM
That interior is nice, now if only they let you set the driving position the way they do in the flex. Driving while sitting in what can only be describe as a lazy boy FTW!

Jlude
07-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by npham
Jesus, Ford is a brand I'd never thought I could drive/own. But they are proving me wrong.

You, me and a lot of other people too.

Kloubek
07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
^ Ditto. I owned a couple of Fords, and they were the biggest pieces of crap ever. I would bad-mouth Ford all the time.

But this is a VERY nice looking vehicle.... along with some decent other offerings as well.

sputnik
07-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Looks good.

Not a fan of the wheels.

ExtraSlow
07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Most people are moving away from body on frame SUV's cause they are way too thirsty when compared with a cross over. I think Ford made the right choice to make this a cross over. If you want a body on frame SUV, pony up the extra dollars and get the Expedition. Atleast it can actually tow something. I understand the merits of the car based SUV. I would have figured that between the Edge and the Flex, Ford had this part of the market well covered already.

Tomaz
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Anyone else seeing similar lines to a FJ Cruiser?

Damn good looking! :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I understand the merits of the car based SUV. I would have figured that between the Edge and the Flex, Ford had this part of the market well covered already.

Flex is low and not suited for any kind of rough roads and is more of a glorified (read: totally swank) station wagon. The Edge is a small crossover, the Explorer is larger. Ford's market coverage has not changed, they've just made the Explorer onto a different platform and more efficient to target the changing market. There's no point in covering a competitive section of the market with an outdated vehicle that didn't fit the needs of the people buying them. Explorers were never trail vehicles, nor were they tow vehicles, so the new platform suits it well.

duaner
07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Wow, that is really nice.

I, too, have been an American auto manufacturer hater for quite a long time but Ford's offerings the last couple of years have me rethinking (not to mention the company's management during the downturn). My wife and I are currently considering a used Flex for her and getting rid of her Accord (she needs the space). It's on the short list and might even be the only one on her list.

What really got me first thinking about owning a Ford was the Mondeo that I drove a few years ago in Turkey--quick, quiet and very nice looking. I have always said if only Ford would bring the European cars over to NA, people like myself would probably buy one.

I wouldn't even consider a Chevy or Dodge simply because they're all ugly.

Anyway, it's too bad this new Explorer design hadn't been around for 3 years or so, I would definitely take a long look at getting one.

Sugarphreak
07-26-2010, 01:15 PM

freshprince1
07-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Looks nice. I'll be SUV shopping next year...looks like we have a contender here.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Looks pretty decent.

MGCM
07-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

and i blame our education system

that too :thumbsup:

msommers
07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't have believed in a million years that the interior shown is from a Ford. I'm looking at vehicles now and it's too bad Ford doesn't have something sporty aside from the mustang. Out of the big 3, Ford is the only one I would consider.

flipstah
07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
That's a nice interior! Ford is definitely stepping up their game.

is this going to sport EcoBoost?

Sykes
07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
is this going to sport EcoBoost?

It can as an option - 237HP and 250 lb-ft of torque. The V6 engine will be standard though @ 290HP and 255 lb-ft (though the EcoBoost will cost buyers a little more).

Mileage is EPA rated at 18/26-27 mpg.

Engine and Drivetrain HERE (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/26/2011-ford-explorer-puts-four-cylinder-ecoboost-engine-above-v6/) (via autoblog).

Graham_A_M
07-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I thought it was just me. :rofl:
Holy shit thats a nice SUV....

<-- very much wants.
I can definitely see myself rolling in that.

Originally posted by msommers
I wouldn't have believed in a million years that the interior shown is from a Ford. I'm looking at vehicles now and it's too bad Ford doesn't have something sporty aside from the mustang. Out of the big 3, Ford is the only one I would consider.
I have zero problems with buying a GM, but thats just me..
Its hard to argue with the $$ Vs. Performance ratio of a Corvette in all practicality.
They have a bunch of cars, trucks & SUV's I would love to have.

flipstah
07-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Sykes

It can as an option - 237HP and 250 lb-ft of torque. The V6 engine will be standard though @ 290HP and 255 lb-ft (though the EcoBoost will cost buyers a little more).

Mileage is EPA rated at 18/26-27 mpg.

Engine and Drivetrain HERE (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/26/2011-ford-explorer-puts-four-cylinder-ecoboost-engine-above-v6/) (via autoblog).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fuck; so many cars, so little cash. :rofl:

jonnycat
07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
The jalopnik review is retarded at best. Since 2002, the explorer was one of the worst choices for a true off roading SUV, if that's what you were looking for.

What name are they tarnishing? The one associated with rollovers, killing families? The overpriced, underperforming one? The gas guzzler one? The one with two different ancient engines?

I didn't mind the the explorers from 2002-current, but why is Jalopnik holding it up on some kind of pedestal as the grand poobah of suv's? They obviously know where the market is heading and has been headed for years, lighter weight, better mpg but still bitch about the lighter, more economical all new explorer because it can't tackle the Rubicon trail. :bullshit:

MGCM
07-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Turns out the Explorer isn't sporting the V6 Ecoboost, they have opted for the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. It's the right move to make if they want to remain competitive on the market with the Explorer. With the new terrain management control the 2011 Explorer in my eyes is top of the line for it's class. It's too bad my parents will be finished their lease on their current vehicle before November......Maybe a good Ford dealership will work out a deal for my parents to drive a demo until the 2011 Explorer arrives lol.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/26/2011-ford-explorer-puts-four-cylinder-ecoboost-engine-above-v6/

SRT
07-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Jalopnik is not impressed, and neither am I. [/URL]

:whocares:

Jalopnik..lmao, not one of their "journalists" is qualified to make any assumption about any vehicle. Just a bunch of west coast fags that love Toyota and bash domestics to try and impress their spineless readers.

jonnycat
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Turns out the Explorer isn't sporting the V6 Ecoboost, they have opted for the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. It's the right move to make if they want to remain competitive on the market with the Explorer. With the new terrain management control the 2011 Explorer in my eyes is top of the line for it's class. It's too bad my parents will be finished their lease on their current vehicle before November......Maybe a good Ford dealership will work out a deal for my parents to drive a demo until the 2011 Explorer arrives lol.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/26/2011-ford-explorer-puts-four-cylinder-ecoboost-engine-above-v6/

They can have Ford Credit extend their lease by a few months in order to get an Explorer.

T-Dubbs
07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
i like the new jeeps better

CMW403
07-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Why? Because Ford said they would..........why else? I could have posted &quot;teaser&quot; pics like Ford has been giving for the past month but I figured nobody would care for them.

:rofl:

I can't believe they reviled these so early! it seems your as impressed as i am!

nuthin lyke a gud laff in the mourning

MGCM
07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat

They can have Ford Credit extend their lease by a few months in order to get an Explorer.

their current lease is not with Ford :( otherwise I would INSIST they do that

RangerMan
07-29-2010, 01:05 AM
The new jeep looks better imo (little more rugged..)

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID2102/images/resized_Ford_Explorer_2011_Examiner.jpg

vs

http://image.internetautoguide.com/f/auto-news/2011-grand-cherokee-debuts-at-new-york-auto-show/18230439+cr1+re0+ar1/2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-front-right-stagejpg.jpg

MGCM
07-29-2010, 01:39 AM
the jeep looks better but IMHO it lacks technology, Ford has the entire competition line-up completely beat with how much extra technology they offer.

flipstah
07-29-2010, 09:31 AM
the jeep looks better but IMHO it lacks technology, Ford has the entire competition line-up completely beat with how much extra technology they offer.

I thought the new Grand Cherokee has its own terrain control thingamajig (Selec-Terrain™):

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/whats-new/more-pictures-of-the-newly-unveiled-2011-grand-cherokee/17473342/grandconsole.jpg

Between the Jeep and the Explorer, I think it'll come down to fuel economy and ride comfort; their primary demographic will never see anything other than asphalt and the occasional gravel road.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-29-2010, 09:55 AM

Do you mean Sync? The Jeep has a much more advanced suspension system (Quadralift) and terrain control.

dino_martini
07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Do you mean Sync? The Jeep has a much more advanced suspension system (Quadralift) and terrain control.

I'm pretty sure you will also be able to get the My-Gig entertainment system in the GC, which is like Ford's Sync (but not exactly).

MGCM
07-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Ford has similar technology in the 2011 Explorer, and I do believe the Explorer will have cross traffic alert too, something that Jeep does not offer.

Originally posted by dino_martini

I'm pretty sure you will also be able to get the My-Gig entertainment system in the GC, which is like Ford's Sync (but not exactly).

I'm sry but Sync>My-Gig, period.

SRT
07-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Chrysler is going with Garmin for 2012

But for now..

The following features and options are available on the all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

Voice Command
Voice Command enables the driver to place and receive calls, hands-free, using a Bluetooth enabled phone. This feature allows the driver to select radio stations, choose satellite radio channels, navigation destinations and record memos. Voice Command recognizes English, French and Spanish, and is capable of learning words for inputting addresses.

Uconnect Media Center
The innovative Uconnect Media Center offers touch-screen and voice command for convenient control of multiple media sources and outputs. Owners can create a personalized in-vehicle media experience with iPod integration, auxiliary jack for MP3 player input, FLO TV, SIRIUS Satellite Radio and SIRIUS Backseat TV. The Media Center also includes a 30-gigabyte hard drive where music, photos and voice messages can be stored via a USB port interface. In addition to navigation software and mapping, the hard drive holds approximately 2,400 songs – more than 150 hours of music. Finally, for the driver who needs efficiency, a voice-memo recorder feature allows convenient reminders up to three minutes long.

FLO TV
Chrysler Group LLC is the first automaker in the United States to offer live mobile TV to consumers with the capacity for as many as 20 channels through FLO TV Auto Entertainment. The system offers something for everyone: college and professional sports, breaking news, children’s shows, primetime sitcoms, reality TV and daytime dramas, including CBS Mobile, CNBC, Comedy Central, Fox News, MSNBC, MTV, NBC 2Go, Nickelodeon and more. FLO TV is available on Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram vehicles as a Mopar® option.

Rear-seat Entertainment
The all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee offers a Vehicle Entertainment System (VES) which includes dual DVD players and screens that deliver a variety of programming choices, with ports to connect games and media players with audio and video output capability, including iPod connectivity. The Media Center or the VES remote can control multiple screen inputs and each screen can play something different.

SIRIUS Backseat TV
SIRIUS Backseat TV offers customers programming from Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network. The system operates via an in-vehicle satellite video receiver and an additional antenna mounted on the vehicle’s roof. Programming is displayed on the vehicle’s rear-seat video screen while the channel name, program title and rating are displayed on the center stack screen. For added flexibility, rear-seat passengers may enjoy SIRIUS Backseat TV while front-seat occupants listen to SIRIUS Satellite Radio. The system may be operated from the rear-seat entertainment unit or the radio head unit. In addition, when the vehicle is in Park, programming may be displayed on the Uconnect Media Center screen for front-seat viewing.

SIRIUS | XM Satellite Radio
SIRIUS Satellite Radio provides Jeep Grand Cherokee customers with more than 120 channels of the best music, entertainment and information coast to coast. SIRIUS Satellite Radio offers more than 60 commercial-free, CD-quality music channels and 60 channels of sports, news, entertainment and children’s programming, 24 hours a day. Regional traffic and weather reports also are included with SIRIUS Satellite Radio. Station selection with the radio is easy, using the same familiar method as choosing an AM or FM station. Consumers are able to scan channels or have pre-set buttons for their favorite channels. They can also search both by music category and channel, which will be displayed on the radio screen.

Uconnect Web
Uconnect Web provides high-speed data transfer and flexibility, combining Wi-Fi and 3G cellular connectivity for a new level of wireless technology. The system transforms the vehicle into a “hot spot” to deliver the Internet directly to the vehicle for instant access to Web sites, e-mail, personalized music, online gaming, photo albums and more. The Good Housekeeping Research Institute gave Uconnect Web a 2009 VIP (Very Innovative Product) Award.

Uconnect Navigation
Uconnect Navigation combines the features of a Global Positioning System (GPS), points of interest, SIRIUS Traffic and Voice Command. Chrysler Group’s Voice Command and touch-screen allow easy operation. If the vehicle is in motion, Voice Command will recognize three languages and is capable of learning words for inputting addresses. The robust points of interest database make it easy to find nearby restaurants, shopping, hospitals or other local destinations. Drivers are able to avoid traffic jams with SIRIUS Traffic. Uconnect Navigation offers customers reliable, seamless use of navigation technology.

Uconnect Phone
Uconnect Phone is an in-vehicle, voice-activated communication system that allows drivers to talk on a Bluetooth compatible phone with their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. The built-in phone book’s sync feature automatically downloads as many as 1,000 phone book entries from supported phones, which can then be selected by simply saying contact name. The hands-free option promotes safety, freedom, value and flexibility.

MGCM
07-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by SRT
Chrysler is going with Garmin for 2012

That's good, they should do well with Garmin.

SRT
07-29-2010, 04:07 PM

That's good, they should do well with Garmin.

I believe they were/are in talks with apple but I haven't heard anything new about that for months.

Rat Fink
07-31-2010, 12:38 PM

MGCM
08-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by SRT

I believe they were/are in talks with apple but I haven't heard anything new about that for months.

that would be HUGE competition for Ford if something with Apple came together:burnout:

npham
08-02-2010, 11:59 AM
The interior in the Jeep needs a huge improvement I consider buying one of them. I was looking at a 2010 GC Limited, and it was pathetic for a $61000(sticker) vehicle. So many crappy plastics and useless knobs for me, I felt like I was driving a Kia or something.

tentacles
08-02-2010, 07:56 PM
The interior in the Jeep needs a huge improvement I consider buying one of them. I was looking at a 2010 GC Limited, and it was pathetic for a $61000(sticker) vehicle. So many crappy plastics and useless knobs for me, I felt like I was driving a Kia or something.

Well it's a good thing the 2011 is a completely new car then? :confused:

911fever
08-05-2010, 03:15 PM

I also agree, but the 2011 Jeep was pretty decent interior wise IMO. I was very surprised, and I really dislike Chrysler.