PDA

View Full Version : Signed up for my first 5km run! Wish me luck!

abyss
07-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Cause I'm SO gonna need it.

I can't even run to the mailbox without getting winded and I have just under 2 months to complete a "couch to 5km" program and run this charity race in Okotoks! Tomorrow is Week 1, Day 1 of the 9 week program.

So for those who are runners, any suggestions for me on the most effective way to train? Best place to get shoes? (I figure I'll need to find a good pair of runners to start with and will be going in a couple days to pick some up.)

If you'd like to support by pledging my run, please PM me and I'll send you the online link to donate. I've set myself a pretty lofty goal so thank you in advance for the help!

I'll post updates on my progress if you guys are interested (Trust me, it'll be funny, I'm SO out of shape.)

It's an important program in Calgary for families grieving infant and pregnancy loss, and due to some personal history, as well as a few friends who've made use of this program I've decided it's worth it for me to support it! (Even if I die a horrible flaming death on race day. haha)

And if any of you wish to take part here's the facebook link to the event, and you can sign up there!

http://www.facebook.com/?page=1&sk=messages&tid=1236390249864#!/event.php?eid=116499838367465

thanks!

TommyEK4
07-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Just get out and run 15 - 10 mins a day. I should take my own advice haha, Played b-ball with my gf today and got out of breath after 10 mins :thumbsdow

Stephen81
07-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Head to a specialized store like the Running Room and they'll help you find a runner that is appropriate for your stride, etc.

I run on and off...definitely start with shorter distances and work your way up. After a few weeks you'll probably find 5k really isn't that bad. Good luck!

frozenrice
07-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Anybody having trouble viewing the link?

I just started running as well. My trainer has me on a 2 minute run, 1 min walk routine right now.
I bought my shoes from the Running Room. It was a bit more expensive, but what I like about buying there was they were able to fit me with the proper shoes for my stride/gait (I over pronate). The running room also has classes that you can take. If you have an iPod touch or iPhone, you can also get a variety of running apps to help get started. The runners that I bought have the Nike+ that work with my iPhone and the Nike software has a beginner running program as well as a program to train for a 5km. The only glitch is that they are both 12 week programs, which may not work with your time frame. The biggest thing I find is having someone there to motivate you. Whether it's a friend or a trainer, it's always good to have someone there to support you so you don't lose momentum.

My trainer told me to pick a race to sign up for as a goal. This one might sound like the perfect time for me to try my first 5k. Maybe I'll see you there. Either way good luck.

abyss
07-25-2010, 11:08 PM
does this link work any better?

LVP 5km run (http://www.facebook.com/?page=1&sk=messages&tid=1236390249864#!/event.php?eid=116499838367465)

It's on the Calgary Health Trust site too.

http://www.calgaryhealthtrust.ca/lvp

I downloaded an app for my Iphone that's a 9 week program couch to 5km so I'm hoping that will help, but I don't have 9 weeks, so the last little bit will be a push for me if I can make it that far! I've heard from a couple others that it's not so bad, so I've got my fingers crossed!
Thanks for the tips about the running room, I'll head there first!

I do have a friend who has agreed to train with me on days she's available, so it'll be nice to have the support and company!

frozenrice
07-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Link works now. Thanks.

Here are a few more sites that might give you some help.

http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm

abyss
07-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the help!

Run #1 went pretty great! It was lots of up and downhill which helped with the training I think! Was definitely tired at the end, but I'm not sore today and I'm still excited to do it again tomorrow!

Cos
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
I started running in km. I started with 2 km as it was just barley difficult for me, but to get my legs and body used to the feeling again. Once it was comfortable, I ran 3 km, and am in the middle of it now. Taken a month and a bit so far. Plan is to run 10k again, probably take me a year but I dont really care. I am more worried about pace then distance. I can build distance without hurting myself, but I dont want to run a 5k in 45 minutes then try and get faster, seems like I would be training twice.

Right now I try to run 5 min/km's. I am around 5:35 currently but once I hit 5:00 for the whole run average I push one more km farther (so ran 2km until I got to 5 min/km, now am doing 3km trying to hit 5 min/km, once I run that two days in a row I start working on 4km, then work my time down to 5min/km) Seems to be working out. That way once I have my strength and endurance they build together.

I use iMapMyRun on my iphone (free, gps tracking, logging, speed, distance, music :))

r3ccOs
07-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Anyone can run a 5k, just gotta pace yourself :)

I just had to the other day, when my friend's car who's fuel guage broke and I had to run home to get the jerry can...

abyss
07-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
Anyone can run a 5k, just gotta pace yourself :)

I just had to the other day, when my friend's car who's fuel guage broke and I had to run home to get the jerry can...

Haha, I can probably crawl 5km, that's it, there's NO way even with pacing myself that I could run it now. Hopefully I don't run out of gas for another 2 months. Then I'll be ready. ;)

master hec0
07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
try new balance shoes. when i started running i was using nike air force 1s because they were the only shoes i could find that fit me. size 18. went in to a new balance dealer in calgary and he had me fitted with my proper size. 16 4E they are much better my feet don't hurt and i can run longer too.

Khyron
07-30-2010, 09:06 PM
As a couch to 5k to ... beyond I'll give you my 2 bits.

Run is volume. There is no junk miles. Run lots, and you will get faster. Run easy, and you won't get hurt thus you can run more often thus you get faster. It's that simple. So don't drink the koolaid and worry about speedwork, fartleks, strides, any of that crap until you're running 5 times a week 40+ kms a week. If you never get to that point that's totally fine, you will never need to worry about speedwork (and get hurt)

abyss
07-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks again everyone!

my update:

Just finished the first week yesterday. Paced myself a bit faster this last time and I was definitely feeling it at the end, but I figured that was alright since I knew had an extra day to recuperate over the weekend. Going tomorrow to pick up the shoes and a couple pairs of shorts to run in. I think I'm going to continue the 3 days a week for now, it's nice to have that day break in between to relax/stretch.

I LOVE to hear that "halfway" message, and it seems to come SO soon into the run, so I think next week I'll be able to up the pace a little bit and push myself a little more, right now I'm doing a pretty slow jog during the run portion. Then when the run portion gets longer I can slow the pace to raise my endurance.

I know it's only been a week, but so far this really isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I know I still have a LONG way to go yet, but I'm committed, and I think that's going to be my biggest help to keep going.

The_Rural_Juror
08-01-2010, 10:34 AM
I started running a couple of months ago just out of boredom. The most useful thing I got to help was a heart rate monitor. The garmin 305 at Costco and GPScity is a good buy. Also, watching some youtube videos on good posture and form saved wear and tear on my body. Good luck.

abyss
08-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Start week 3 tomorrow! It gets exponentially harder from here on in (runs are double the time and walking is the same, then week 4 runs are double and a half times what they are week 3), on Friday I really upped the pace (probably double the speed I was doing before) so I was definitely exhausted by the time it was done, but I think pushing myself to the limit is the only way I'll push my body to go further. I don't want to keep finishing them going, "yeah I could do more than that..."

Who knew you could like something like running? I always used to laugh at the people I'd see out at 6 in the morning in the cold winter months getting their daily run in, but now I am starting to see why they do it. Maybe one day soon that'll be me.

canadiandaytona
08-08-2010, 03:27 PM
3-4 yrs ago I hated running..never saw the enjoyment/point

Now I'm soloing the IronLegs 80Km trail race next Saturday.
Crazy how things can change

Keep it up!

abyss
08-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona
3-4 yrs ago I hated running..never saw the enjoyment/point

Now I'm soloing the IronLegs 80Km trail race next Saturday.
Crazy how things can change

Keep it up!

Wow. That's INSANE! How'd it go today?

Khyron too, I saw your recent post! Awesome! Congrats!

Just finished week 3! Almost didn't finish from a cramp tonight, ugh on eating dinner too soon before the run! I can't wait to start doing this more though, I'm almost sad I have to pace myself right now but I know it's good for me!

abyss
08-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Just finished week 4! I'm almost halfway there now! Did the 5km yesterday, walking and running, but at least I know I can finish the race now! I have 4 more weeks to prepare to run the whole thing!

I finally have a personal page to keep track of the donations now too (it will be updated with the donations I've already received) I need about $600 more to meet my goal, so please consider donating!

thanks again!

online donation page (http://www.calgaryhealthtrust.ca/apriltran)

canadiandaytona
08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
80K was Mostly Great.
A bit of ITBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome) coming off Cox hill (50K mark) which F-ed me over for the finish

Still happy with my time even thou I had to walk/jog/hobble the last 20k due to the knee pain.

I i can make a recomendation, stretch like crazy. Got some Graston Technique (metal bar rubbed on leg sounds like a wash board bruised like crazy) done on my IT and it was the most painful experiance in my life

abyss
09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
So I'm down to the wire now! If you were on the fence about donating, please do! I have just under 2 weeks to go now to raise the money!

http://www.calgaryhealthtrust.ca/apriltran

I still need about $500 to reach my goal!!

thanks!

I "ran" (it was more a slow jog) 25 minutes straight with the toddler and the stroller yesterday! So I think I'm gonna be able to do this when the time comes!

Daytona, that looks brutal. Did it help though?

D'z Nutz
09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by abyss
I still need about $500 to reach my goal!!

$450 now. Good luck April! :burnout:

abyss
09-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks D!!! :D

GoChris
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I "ran" (it was more a slow jog) 25 minutes straight with the toddler and the stroller yesterday! So I think I'm gonna be able to do this when the time comes!

Good job getting out there and running. Personally, for me, running is running, none of this "jogging" stuff. You can run fast, or slow, or whatever speed, but it's all running in my books. :)

Good luck with the race, I started running 4 years ago, I'm quite hooked, as I'm sure you will be too. It's crazy to think you can do longer races, like 10km, 21km, I used to think I'd never run a marathon, now I've done 2 in the last year. But just look what you've accomplished in two months!

:thumbsup:

[Yu]
09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Hey man, Good job for signing up for this run. If you enjoy it, I also suggest you do the CIBC "Run for the Cure"

This year will be my 3rd year, as I have a relative that survived and I love doing this run every year.

abyss
09-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Just did my last training run before the big race on Sunday! I'm as ready as I'm going to be now!

thanks again to everyone for the support! If you still want to donate you can, either let me know before Saturday night or donate online! http://www.calgaryhealthtrust.ca/apriltran

All donations are tax deductible and you will receive a receipt for them!

I'll update after the run!

:clap:

abyss
09-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I did it!!!

Raised $465 and ran the 4.6km in 28:06! I guess it wasn't REALLY a 5km!

I think I could have pushed myself a bit more but I'm super happy with that result for my first one!

now maybe I'll consider a 10 next year!

Thanks!!!

Khyron
09-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Nice work! I know a few 5kers struggling to break 30 mins, so good on you!

Of course, now you want to hit 25 mins...:)

msommers
09-19-2010, 10:11 PM
I did it!!!

Raised $465 and ran the 4.6km in 28:06! I guess it wasn't REALLY a 5km!

I think I could have pushed myself a bit more but I'm super happy with that result for my first one!

now maybe I'll consider a 10 next year!

Thanks!!!

Congrats!! If you want to do a 10km next year, do the underwear affair. It's a total blast with all the costumes and being able to run in your boxers - $300 min. to run. I did it last year and wish I had gone this year. Next summer I'm running for sure.

RizenSun
09-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Good Luck Bro :clap:

abyss
09-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by RizenSun
Good Luck Bro :clap:

You're a day late, but thanks!

unless that post was to msommers, which would make a lot more sense in regards to the "Bro". :rofl:

reno97637
09-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Congrats!! If you want to do a 10km next year, do the underwear affair. It's a total blast with all the costumes and being able to run in your boxers - $300 min. to run. I did it last year and wish I had gone this year. Next summer I'm running for sure.

Lol, the Underwear Affair is dope. Me and my team are aiming to conquer the top 10.