PDA

View Full Version : TD Meloche Monnex worst insurance company I have ever dealt with!

CSMRX7
07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
This should be good for a laugh but am also wondering what I should do.

My car was one of the cars damaged in the hail storm a few weeks back. I called Meloche Monnex immediately to get an appointment for an appraisal. I was told I would have to get a special hail damage appraisal and wouldn't get an apppointment until Aug 3. I thought 3 weeks was a long time to wait but there are a lot of cars that need to be seen.

Fast forward a week and some of my coworkers are already getting their cars repaired. I am a bit suprised that their insurance worked so quickly! I call Meloche Monnex and they say that if I cancel my appointment I won't get an appraisal until 2011!!!!

Found out today that I have to be out of town for work on Aug 3 so I call Meloche Monnex to reschedule my appointment and they now can't schedule appointments. They say I can cancel my Aug 3 appt, but need to wait for a call back to reschedule. I ask when that will be and they can't tell me. I ask will it be this week, they don't know, will it be in August they don't know. I ask to talk to someone who might be able to give me a better answer and they won't transfer me. I ask to talk to a manager or supervisor, no dice.

So I though maybe I just got a bad rep and call back. Same shit different person. They tell me their supervisor will call me back in the next 48 hours but won't be able to give me anymore information.

What disappoints me beyond the fact that other agencies are already repairing cars and Meloche Monnex is ill prepared is the fact that they aren't even providing reasonable customer service. I had a similarly bad experience with them on a flood claim at my home 2 years ago. I thought that maybe I just had a bad adjuster, but obviously this is a company wide culture.

When this is all over I am switching providers, but does anyone have any sugestions in the mean time?

max_boost
07-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Statefarm. They get shit done so fast. Now I don't know about their premiums vs other companies though.

Phenix
07-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Oh that sucks, they have the best rates though. I'm with them now with a engineering group plan. I had pretty sad service from state farm before, then i switched.

maybe try and call a local office if you can ?

masoncgy
07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Wow... Aug 3... you're lucky... our SUV isn't even going to be looked at until Sept 14, let alone repaired.

There ARE a ton of claims out there... maybe you're taking this a little too personally?

BTW: We're with TD too.

wrcftw
07-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I've always had pretty good experience with them...and their rates are great....:dunno: They took care of me very nicely when my car was damaged.

Aleks
07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm with Meloche as well and I've already had my car looked at by their adjustor, just waiting trying to figure out which shop I want to take it to.

When I got the call (2 days after my claim was opened) I was able to see the adjustor that same day :dunno:

Wonder why they are jerking you around?

Neil4Speed
07-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Thats too bad, I have had really good service from MM.

I am sure you already looked into this, but is there any chance a friend or family member could take your car for the appraisal?

G
07-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I thought BMW's are suppose to be repaired first? TD is great to me. My mom's car is with TD as well and she has to wait till mid August to get it looked at. Doesn't seem to bother her because she understands there are some many cars, houses and other things that were damaged.

Just wait your turn like everyone else.

tom_9109
07-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I'm with Meloche as well and I've already had my car looked at by their adjustor, just waiting trying to figure out which shop I want to take it to.

When I got the call (2 days after my claim was opened) I was able to see the adjustor that same day :dunno:

Wonder why they are jerking you around?

Because you were one of the lucky few to beat the insane volume of claims they received. There is only one insurance company I know of that has everyone taken care of in less than a month. . . . . .

sputnik
07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
I have never had any issues with TD Insurance (on their Primmum side).

Perhaps it has something to do with every P.Eng, MD and MBA in Calgary seems to go with Meloche Monnex and they all want their BMWs fixed right now.

I don't really see what the huge deal is. So it takes a bit longer. We are talking 1-2 weeks. It's not like they are making you wait for months. At any rate, half of the cluster is your fault since you are now going to be out of town for your first appointment.

kaput

Masked Bandit
I am by no means trying to defend Meloche Monnex here (they are competition after all) however ALL of our companies have told us that it will be sometime in 2011 before everything gets fixed. It sucks but this is easily the largest hail storm / claim that I've seen in all my years in the business.

lint
07-26-2010, 11:44 AM
I can't even get a date range for when an adjuster will call me back, nevermind when I might be able to schedule an appointment to get it assessed or repaired. Their internal info is crap a the moment as well. Contemporary Coachworks in the south isn't on their official list of hail estimators, but they have 2 agents doing estimates out of the shop.

SilverGS
07-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Well my claim was during a non major hailstorm time period but MM gave me great service. Among the best rates and everything was taken care of by them with no need to call them back about anything.

Sorry to hear your experience with them is sucky.

realazy
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Maybe you just filed your claim late? I'm not with TD but I filed my claim 20 minutes after the hail and got booked in real fast.

The reality is that there are lots of claims and if you are at the end of the line, that's too bad.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Never made a claim with MM, but I have to say that given my driving record, ammount of tickets, age, and the coverage that I have (absoloutely full)... I am paying a ridiculous (low) rate. (1800/year)

Cos
07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Perhaps it has something to do with every P.Eng, MD and MBA

And look at the area's that were hit. Foothills Hospital, UofC, the Tech park north of UofC, downtown, all the park and rides, the NW seems to be a professional community (I know our neighbours in Varsity were engg, lawyers, etc) and all of those areas where hit quite bad.

Could be the case that one company seems to attract one type of person, who all congregate in the same area and were all hit really hard by the hail storm.

CSMRX7
07-26-2010, 12:48 PM
OK lets get a few things straight. I am not asking for front of the line service.

I called in immediately after the storm and got my appointment. I have an emergency trip that came up so I want to reschedule.

If I have to go to the back of the line, fine, but at least let me know what that means.

I ask the question, when will someone call me to book an appointment. And they can't answer. I ask if it will be in the next few weeks and they won't tell me. I ask when they are booking for and they won't tell me.

The point is I want a general road map of what I am in for. That is reasonable but they won't give it to me. They treat me like I am at fault for wanting a general plan.

What bothers me is there excuse is oh we are the second largest insurance company so it takes a long time. THAT SHOULDN'T BE AN EXSCUSE!! If anything they should be better equiped.

CSMRX7
07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by G
I thought BMW's are suppose to be repaired first? TD is great to me. My mom's car is with TD as well and she has to wait till mid August to get it looked at. Doesn't seem to bother her because she understands there are some many cars, houses and other things that were damaged.

Just wait your turn like everyone else.

I am waiting my turn. I just want to know when my turn might be. Don't forget that we are paying them to handle this type of situation. The least that they should be able to do is provide a time frame. Not well we are super busy so we will get to it when we get to it.

CSMRX7
07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I have never had any issues with TD Insurance (on their Primmum side).

Perhaps it has something to do with every P.Eng, MD and MBA in Calgary seems to go with Meloche Monnex and they all want their BMWs fixed right now.

I don't really see what the huge deal is. So it takes a bit longer. We are talking 1-2 weeks. It's not like they are making you wait for months. At any rate, half of the cluster is your fault since you are now going to be out of town for your first appointment.

I wish we were talking 1-2 weeks but I don't know that is for sure. See that is the thing. If I knew it was 2 weeks, no big deal. If it was a month I would be pissed but deal with it.

The problem is they won't tell me if it will be 1 week or 4 months before they even decide to book an appointment.

Cos
07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7

I ask the question, when will someone call me to book an appointment. And they can't answer. I ask if it will be in the next few weeks and they won't tell me. I ask when they are booking for and they won't tell me.

The point is I want a general road map of what I am in for. That is reasonable but they won't give it to me. They treat me like I am at fault for wanting a general plan.

What bothers me is there excuse is oh we are the second largest insurance company so it takes a long time. THAT SHOULDN'T BE AN EXSCUSE!! If anything they should be better equiped.

A lot of adjusters are independent contractors (my sister in laws boyfriend is one for Jevco) so it isnt like a call center person can know who you are going to be assigned to, let alone know their schedule.

I know that is a shitty answer but dont know what else you can expect from them.

I am sure in your work there are things that other people control on a project you do (or whatever) and you cannot give accurate timelines. It happens to me every day and pisses my customers off, however if there was something that could be done to get their screaming ass off the phone, dont you think I would have done it?

Same goes for these guys, if they had the answer they would probably prefer to tell you so you would just go away.

arian_ma
07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Is this for your M3? Do you have pics of how bad it is?
(Just curious to see...)

CSMRX7
07-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Ya its the M3 and its bad...

Clever
07-26-2010, 01:18 PM
A few of my friends needed repairs as well and I know 2 of them that are with MM, and I know they are getting their cars looked at by late next month due to the high volume of claims.

My brother in law needs insurance as well, and he was thinking about signing with MM because of all the good feedback and decent rates, maybe I'll get him to shop around some more.

shadowz
07-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Very odd, I have had nothing but good experiences with MM, I had a issue with the city of calgary causing damage to my vehicle last year, I had MM contact the city on my behalf and they had collected full compensation for me

toastgremlin
07-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
What bothers me is there excuse is oh we are the second largest insurance company so it takes a long time. THAT SHOULDN'T BE AN EXSCUSE!! If anything they should be better equiped. Intact is the biggest and from what I understand they've flown out people from across North America and gone as far as purchasing a warehouse with full office facilities on Aviation Road to do inspections and repairs.

I have no idea what Intact's average turnaround is, but if they're going to use their size as an excuse you can point to Intact. That's a bullshit excuse.

bourge73
07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
I also had my car damaged in that hail storm. I ve had great service from RBC. Everything from Estimate to fixed in a couple weeks. (only due to the shop being full or it would be a week) very happy with their service and prices. Something to maybe look into OP.

atgilchrist
07-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm with Monnex, and my car will be fixed by tomorrow. :)

I got an appraisal at Confident Hail Damage, and they got me in right away. Couldn't be happier, as I am moving to Kelowna later this week, and having to deal with the inter-provincial repair would have been a giant pain.

+1 for both MM and Confident, in my books.

atgilchrist
07-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Intact is the biggest and from what I understand they've flown out people from across North America and gone as far as purchasing a warehouse with full office facilities on Aviation Road to do inspections and repairs.

I have no idea what Intact's average turnaround is, but if they're going to use their size as an excuse you can point to Intact. That's a bullshit excuse.

The shop that's repairing mine was flown in by MM, so they're doing the same thing.

guessboi
07-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Maybe try a 3rd time and see if someone can give a contact name for your claim? Claims are usually assigned based on priority and first in. i.e if 2 claims came in at the same time, both with hail damage but one with a broken front windshield, they are going to get that claim with the broken windshield in first to make the vehicle drivable.

BTW from what I know...TD MM is 3rd and not 2nd. They actually just moved into 3rd ahead from Co-op. :D

Graham_A_M
07-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Statefarm. They get shit done so fast. Now I don't know about their premiums vs other companies though.

Word, I switched from TD to these guys, and saved myself from $900/year PLPD to $260 with State Farm
:nut:

tom_9109
07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Intact is the biggest and from what I understand they've flown out people from across North America and gone as far as purchasing a warehouse with full office facilities on Aviation Road to do inspections and repairs.

From what I hear intact is not getting it handled very well either. Their Paintless Dent Repair provider shit the bed on them.

Masked Bandit
07-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I JUST SAVED $300 BY SWITCHING TO GIECO!

Seriously though guys, I've seen the responses from all companies and almost every one of them are going to have customers that are unhappy with the speed of service when we get a storm this big.

With that said, and I'm not paid to say this shit, but Intact is the cat's ass when it comes to these large storms. The amount of people they bring in and dedicate to this shitfest is first class and industry leading. Nobody else we deal with is stepping up to the plate like Intact. It's like everyone else wants to run and hide.

tom_9109
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
It is true that Intact has like 7 - 10 thousand claims so they pretty much have to fly people in...... Being big has its advantages and its disadvantages.........

Rusted Bumper
07-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Intact should get around 15k, MM & company maybe around 10K? Not too sure on the others. I would guess about 35k claims once it's all said and done. This is the worst storm in 20 years.

Sorry to say, but it's a bottleneck. One person in that bottleneck gets through first, and someone will get through last. The difference between the two could be quite a few weeks. I think a lot of the frustration comes from this. People hearing about other people who got through faster.

bignerd
07-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Just check and see how long you have to make your claim and get it settled if they are going to bump you to 2011. Mind you the sooner you get it fixed the sooner you can change insurance companies if you are not happy either.

Mitsu3000gt
07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
My experiences with Meloche Monnex have been exceptional. Last time I made a claim I was called at 8am the next morning by someone wanting to help me get the ball rolling on repairs. They went out of their way for me multiple times. My rates keep going down and they are cheaper than I can get anywhere else when I called around.

My brother is currently dealing with them now for hail damage and they are treating him well too.

I think the bottom line is that if you had a bad experience, you think the whole company is crap, if they are good to you, you love them. Same goes for most things.

Also being nice to the adjuster goes a long way, they get yelled at all day long and have the power to make your life extremely miserable.

monkeyman
07-30-2010, 09:13 PM
just a heads up: these guys make notes in your file if you are rude / an asshole to them. the next person to pick up your call there reads that all and will judge if they should go out of their way to help you.

Unknown303
07-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by monkeyman
just a heads up: these guys make notes in your file if you are rude / an asshole to them. the next person to pick up your call there reads that all and will judge if they should go out of their way to help you.

So how about not being rude to someone who's just doing their job? :dunno:

I've just been dealing with TD for my Jeep and they have been super understanding and very helpful. I never thought an insurance company would ever treat someone so good but they have so far for me.

wintonyk
07-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Thats brutal to hear about one bad story.

I have had exceptional service from MM like many others. Both rates (exactly 50% of what Allstate wanted to charge). Not to mention they provided me with a list of top 10 approved shops for repair.

I called them the Wednesday after the damage. Called 4 shops and found the soonest I could get in for appraisal was Wednesday July 28. Carstar express by the Mr Detail.

Appraisal is in. Car dropped off the next morning. Enterprise right beside for my rental. Get a call from a rep saying if i have any questions or concerns contact them otherwise have a great day. Picked up the car today all great. Pay my 250 deductible and done.

No trouble whatsoever with MM. Carstar express awesome, the guys there are great. 5800 damage taken care of in 2 days.

Conveniently enough my rental car ended up as a truck. Which I def. put to good use.

:thumbsup: for MM

freshprince1
07-31-2010, 09:12 AM
I've been with Meloche for years. I like their rates, but U absolutely dispise having to process a claim with them. I like to bekept up to speed every step of the way...and they don't like wasting time keeping the client informed. I find things work best when you can just let it go and let them handle things on their own. It takes a while, but it gets done. Not sure what to do about you not being in town for the appraisal...maybe leave it at your house while they come?

boarderfatty
07-31-2010, 06:30 PM
I work with TD Bank and get a very nice discount with MM Insurance, like $2-4000 less than what other companies have quoted me for full coverage which is why I deal with them.

I despise dealing with them though. When my STI was stolen it took them almost 2 mths to process the claim when they did, they said that all my mods severely devalued my vehicle and offered my $15.5k for the car. It took another 3 weeks of arguing with them and writing letters to Consumer watch, W5, all other news networks, papers, calling ICB before they gave me close to what my car was worth. Over a 2mth process without having a car since I was not smart enough to get rental coverage.

My second big claim was a couple weeks after I got my STI settled and hit a dear with my porsche that I had just bought earlier that afternoon. Here they weren't terrible but were still a pain. They tried forcing me to go to one of their approved shops none of which would work on my car, and said that it was my problem. Then they said that they weren't willing to pay the going rate for luxury car repairs . I took it to Doug's Place in E-town which were awesome to deal with an dealt with MM for me directly so I wouldn't have to get involved. It was also at a time when there weren't many claims being processed. they said they would send out their independent appraiser within 24hrs and it ended up taking the appraiser nearly a week to get there (dropped car off on monday morning appraiser didnt show up until friday)

If it wasn't for the stupid low rate I would have left them long ago

slinkie
08-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

With that said, and I'm not paid to say this shit, but Intact is the cat's ass when it comes to these large storms. The amount of people they bring in and dedicate to this shitfest is first class and industry leading. Nobody else we deal with is stepping up to the plate like Intact. It's like everyone else wants to run and hide.

im very happy with intact so far, rates seem competitive as wel