PDA

View Full Version : Water Softeners - suggestions?

r3ccOs
07-26-2010, 01:50 PM
I know I had opened a thread on this topic, but couldn't find it...

As of now I've read alot of articles and determined that I would probably like a system that can do anywhere from 32000 - 45000 grains... but there is alot of variances from these units, raning from GE cheapos from HD to Culligan ones which look more like the GE's resold at numerous plumbing places.

AS well... I cannot seem to get a straight answer as to whether it will prolong or be deteramental to my hot water tank.

Anyone know if these are rentable and where? "I" would love to have a system that I don't have to worry about the resin tank breaking and having to fork out the repairs.

codetrap
07-26-2010, 02:24 PM
It's supposed to prolong your hot water tank because it prevents the hard water buildup. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen.

I picked up the AMP51 and am very happy with it. Plumbed it in with PEX which took about a half hour. Programmed it up and haven't had to touch it since. Got it through Wolsely plumbing near the south side costco.

http://www.aquamasterpro.ca/

http://www.aquamasterpro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/AquaMaster_PRO_brochure_sm.pdf

r3ccOs
07-26-2010, 02:35 PM
As I've never owned one, are the benefits immediate and tangable?

Do you notice things like less lime buildup, less use of soap, softer skin (yes a gay question) etc...

InRich
07-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I bought a new house, first thing I bought was a water softener.

codetrap
07-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Clothes feel nicer now. Dishes Don't have anymore hardwater stains. Once I cleaned up all the calcium buildup, I haven't had to do it again. 4 months ago. Also, I haven't had to use my excema creme since we got it going. Cut down on the amount of soaps we use for everything, even my old school shaving is nicer too.

I wish I had done it years ago.

derran.m
07-28-2010, 08:42 AM
My parents had a softener in their place ... you never really notice it til you don't have it anymore. From clothes to dishes to showers, everything felt better.

redline
07-28-2010, 09:46 AM
http://www.kinetico.ca/

I have one of these... they are best and cheapest to run. But they cost lots of $$$

I put it in march of this year and just finally put a new bag of salt in it. Very effiencent.

You can only buy them from Trail or Costco...

modpod77
08-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by redline

I have one of these... they are best and cheapest to run. But they cost lots of $$$

I put it in march of this year and just finally put a new bag of salt in it. Very effiencent.

thank you for your infomation

JordanLotoski
08-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by redline

I have a kinetico, it's been awesome. :thumbsup:

project240
08-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Less people here in Calgary have them because the water is really that "hard" here. With that being said you probably will still notice a bit of a difference if you install one.

nzwasp
08-03-2010, 09:53 AM
We have a Wa2 softener I think it was 950$ installed - so far its been very good. There is local distributor and support in Calgary, and the importer is in Vancouver.

r3ccOs
11-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Eventually bought one...

Based on the City of Calgary water hardness FAQ:

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_237_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Water+Services/Drinking+Water/Water+Quality/Water+Hardness+FAQ.htm

We have pretty hard water, especially on the SW/SE side of the city coming from the Glenmore Res... which I live in where we average 15 gpg (grains per gallon) and peaks high in the 17-18 range.

At least our Iron & Manganese levels are low that those don't have to too be complensated (as ppm is the same as mg/l I belive)

Anyways... based on sizing of usage:

75-80 liters of water consumped per person x persons x gpg = grains removed per day
For me, that's: 3375 for 3 (4500 for 4, but we only have 3)

As such, the general rule of thumb is that you want a regeneration cycle to run about once a week... as such you have to be able to accomodate those 7 days... so for me (& for most accorindg to Culligan and other plumbers) a 33,200, grain system is more than sufficient for 4 people (couples share showers, run only one dishwasher or share laundry loads)

So seeing how there are sears days on sale, I picked up the mid-sized Kenmore Ultrasoft 200, for $658...
Which comes w/ a bypass kit, which is really nice, as you can take the softener out of line for service or in my case, watering the lawn)

I then hit up the home depot, and bought a pair of pex-copper couplers and then bought a 20foot roll of 3/4 pex, 3/4 elbow joints, 3/4 rings and rented a crimper.

I unpacked her, positioned her where I wanted it... used a plumbers torch to heat up the coupler & pipe and soldered them together...
Measured and cut up the pex to the sizes I needed and pre-crimped parts to get a good idea of how to approach the main line.

Shut off the main water line w/ the valve... opened up all the taps upstairs and down... Drained the left over water with a little twisty release vavle on the valve... then cut her open.
Attached the plumbing... crimped it all tight, attached to the bypass on the softener and then secured them.

Then ran the 3/8 hoses (one for the regeneration water and one for overflow) to the drain...

filled her up with 4 20kg bags of salt, added 3 gallons of water, then plugged her in, set the time and hardness levels and started the regeneration cycle.

90 minutes later... voila, soft water.

Now... I did do a bit of a lazy approach... why I say is
#1 - I did not bypass anything, not even to the outside lines.
Why?
Well, I was told that you wouldn't taste the soft water, and you know what... you don't... but you also still prevent calcification which happens quite often with stainless taps, especially kitchen ones even when you are using cold water.
(this being told by a couple plumbers and even sears & home depot)

#2 - I did not bypass my outside lines... WHY? Well, I don't intend on watering my grass with soft water, no.
BUT... being that I have a bypass valve anyways, I just need to just push on a button... just that simple.
HOWEVER the nice thing is... I can wash things outside with soft water, SPOT free! Like my car, and even my dog! lol a spot free black labrador.

Anyways, my impressions are:
this is awesome, and why did I wait so long.

Water feels much better, soaps lather better, clothes feel better... less calcification on toilets/taps and no soap scum.
Also, though its not immediately tangable, it will extend the life of your hot water tank, my LG steam washer/dryer and dish washer.

I really don't know why I waited so long.

Now to explain why I went for (or cheaped out) for the mid-sized as opposed to going for a bigger capcity one such as the 39k or 45k one... is that with only 3 people, it would take more than 7 days to get to the regeneration cycle... in the case of the 45k one, it could take up to 2 weeks or more and this is not a good thing, as certain biological things could build up and the salt has a greater chance to bridge whist idle... If you set a manual timer to regenerate lets say every 7 days... then you'd waste more salt and water as well...

So I went with what everyone recommended

nonofyobiz
11-28-2010, 11:09 AM
not sure if it's good to drink tho*?*

I wonder if my water filter gets rid of those calcium and magnesium ions in the water*?*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_water

sillysod
11-28-2010, 09:46 PM
youre supposed to use it only for the hot water, not on the cold. You don't want t cook or drink it regularly.

Just FYI....

codetrap
11-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
youre supposed to use it only for the hot water, not on the cold. You don't want t cook or drink it regularly.

Just FYI....

Why not? Because the additional salt might add something to your diet?

If you really want to reduce your sodium, then stop adding salt to your food.

"As a general rule, an 8-ounce (236 milliliters) glass of softened tap water contains less than 12.5 milligrams of sodium." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317

To put this in perspective, health canada recommends that you should limit yourself to around 1500mg of salt a day. So have fun drinking that 28Liters of water it'll take to kick you over that, per day.

Though, if it really bothers you, you can always switch to potassium instead of salt for your water softening.

r3ccOs
11-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Its not like it is a like for like in regards to grains of hardness being exchange for Salt... Its a bit of misconception
The salt brine cleans out the resin beads and yes there is a risidue, but its not like for like replacement... (especially with the flush post backwash features in the newer softeners)

Honestly I cannot taste much of a difference... & the main reason why I didn't bother re-running the line is cause I can always do it later and I wanted to see how it was...

I figured this much, water in its pure form is a solvent... which is why thing disolve in it, in our cases Lime & Calcium... (amongst other things, but Calgary is relatively good otherwise for harmful minerals)

Now that soft water is less saturated with minerals, it has the ability to again absorb... which is why there is no longer soap scum in my showers, water ring in my bath tub and my super clean dishes... along with that, works like a catalyst with soap, and cleans supurbly (my laundry really hasn't ever felt better)

but for consumption, that's where its debatable... thing is, Other than a "bit o' salt" -- is it any worse than drinking distilled water? I don't think it is...

Anyways, I'm still using a Brita for pretty much everything other than boiling food, & even with that I'm finding a huge difference. My coffee maker and my kettle is not building up any residue...

I'm imagining that right now my hot water tank & humidifier are cleaning out as well..

Right now I do not see a point to run a by-pass for my cold water. I might however do that for my rear outside tap, as that side will never need soft water (I don't think)
But for the front, man I want spotfree windows and cars.

This Kenmore softener seems pretty darn good for its price... full of features and is "on-demand manual regeneration"
So essentially the same system as most, who seem to charge way way more for the same thing. Its actualty quite effecient for maximum salt effenciency ratings and does 33,200 @ .87 cuft...
(I was going to opt for the bigger one, but apparently the bigger the beter isn't a always a good idea, you want to regenerate between 7-9 days)

The only thing I'm debating is a "salt effencicy" setting, but I'm not 100% sure exactly what it does other than regenerate alot earlier....

ALSO, what do you guys have your water hardness set to? I never actuality did a litmus paper test, so I just set mine to a ball-park 17, as we have no iron nor maganses in our water.

Also I calculated how much all & all it costed me to install w/ the pex, elbows, fasteners, tin/flux and a rental...
A whopping $27...

Oh & $40 for 10 bags of Sifto Salt @ the HD

r3ccOs
11-29-2010, 08:24 AM
http://www.watertreatmentguide.com/achieving_brine_efficiency_in_softening.htm

some good info

Along with that, Kenmore Water has a huge site with animated diagrams for how to setup, troubleshoot etc... and Sears can provide their in-home services for repair... 9 year warrant tank/resin bed, 3 year mechanical, and 1 year all parts & labor...

really not bad at all for the price for a 33, 200 @ $658 or 39,000 @ $818...

install into a pex lined house is sooo easy

anyways, to factor it in... "if" our water is at most hardness up to 17.3 (as per City of Calgary in the South region in Dec) that would equate to somewhere around 127mg per liter of salt
(Its about a 45% of 1 grain salt replacing 1 grain hardness x 17.1 to figure the mg/l rating)

If you lived off Bearspaw dam, where its typically 11.4 gpg... its significanly less

In the Glenmore Res, its average 15.4, so still typically a little less than 127mg per liter of salt.

So not enough salt to be a concern for consumption....

Gatoraide itself has 110mg per 8oz (1 cup) -- one liter is 33oz (4 cups)

120mg of sodium per liter = 1 piece of white bread

150mg of sodium per cup of Almond Milk (more than 4 times)
125mg sodium per cup of Milk (about 4 times)
60mg sodium for my pressed apple juice.. (about twice)

wow -- overall I think I'm way over my sodium recommendations like most people are..

r3ccOs
11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Spoke to Kenmore themselves -- boy they know their crap...

Kinda blogging my own FAQ here:
All their models use the same valving and programming/electronics (IntelliSoft) in the USA as they do in Canada though the model lines are just a bit different...

They are meters sytems (meaning meters and performs activities on demand)

The Kenmore units have a built in 5 effencency setup that automatically adjusts to provide maximum salt effenency per regeneration... (again Intellisoft)
Unfortunately there is not the ability to adjust the programming manually, as compared to other systems, but its much more user friendly as most people don't do the math between gallons consumed, max salt effenency per lb for the overall size of the resin tank.
This system does it based upon those metrics and will ultimately choose an ideal setup for you over the duration... I was told, takes up to the first 3 weeks to get achieve an optimal setup, so try to avoid performing manual regenerations unless absolutely needed to during, due to guests or higher consumption than normal. (If you happen to, you can reset the unit back to 0 regens and wait again for 3 weeks)

From comparing with many others (whom I've called... i.e. GE, GE Logix, Culligan, etc...) These models come with everything that they do with the exception of one that uses a titanium clorinator pre-rince cycle (but you can get the cleaning powder to throw into the brine tank anyhow...)
Price point? Significantly cheaper *when on sale*, has a comparable warranty, comparable customer service & Sears Kenmore home service.

A tank of 32,000 is sufficient for a family of 4 in this city... This was confirmed w/ Culligan and a couple other sources (such as WA2) regardless south or north.
You want to aim to have regeneration performed between 5-9 days -- no less (as its less effecient on water) and no more as you don't want to harbor bacteria and you want to keep your Resin beads free and conditioned. *most resin tanks become ineffeicent or stop cleansing due to lack of frequency of regeneration, which is why its not recommended to over-provision... (i.e. 45,000 1.5 cu meter resin tank for 3 people can take up to 2-3 weeks between regens in modern homes)

Though its more effecient on Salt to regenerate more often, you still have to run the backwash & rince each time and it uses more water oveall... giving you the debate of water vs salt... but most systems are optimized for both, including the Kenmore)
*review the graph and cost benefits here: http://www.watertreatmentguide.com/achieving_brine_efficiency_in_softening.htm*

Being that most programs are effecient with performing their consumption calculation, the High-Effeciency setting is not required and not suggested. It is only in place for California to reduce the amount of minerals/sediments released per regeneration as a law.

The amount of salt exchanged for grains of hardness is about a little less than half... which is very close to the calculated amount above.... i.e. 15.4 avg hardness x (.45) typical exchange x 17.1 (gpg to mg/l) = 118.5 mg/l or 29.5 mg oer cup So, its quite safe for consumption.
Though many plumbers would suggest running a by-pass line, everyone who is selling the softeners suggest to run a reverse osmosis under the Sink, as it will remove the solubable salts and irons along with providing other purification benefits. However in all the cases, again including Culligan, they have not advised that drinking Soft Water is bad... again as indicated in my post above.

As we don't have much Iron or Manganese in Calgary, we don't need the pre-regenation backwash setup and we don't need any excess time for the backwash/rince cycle. (standard settings are just fine for City lines)

In the south - set the hardness setting to 18 as a rule of thumb (guess glenmore res is full of minerals as its the elbow river glacier runoff)
In the north - set from 12-15 (get tested)

Was also told -- we are low in humidity, salt briding is usually never a problem, but as a precautionary measure... don't fill the Brine tank with more than a half tank of salt... that also prevents briding.
Sifto & Windsor are both recommended, buy either one is cheapest (I found Sifto cheapest @ the HD)

Another question I asked:
Does water get progressively harder before a regeneration is required...
From 3 sources - WA2, Kenmore, & Culligan... the answer is No apparently... either its hard or its soft.

As a result, if lets say you run out of soft water during the day and your recharge is set for 2:00 AM, you'll be out for the duration unless you manually run it (which many people do if they're not intending on running any appliances or plan on taking a bath or shower).

That is the main benefit of the 2 tank systems like Kenetico, as they work in tandum... two smaller resin tanks constantly regenerating while the other tags off using a powerless metering valve that switches the two based on gallons used.
No power required, cause no need for a clock to initiate the valving, just water pressure as you can regenerate at any given time without getting hard water as the other takes over.
I don't think being able to perform the Rinse with the soft water is a huge benefit, but the system is a well thought out system, just not worth $2500 to me.

Benefits: the chart seems a bit optomistic, but I do have to agree, I only need about a penny size dolop of body/hair wash to get the job done...

http://www.kenmorewater.com/website/productlist/home-water-softeners/benefits-of-soft-water-bathroom-water-problems.htm

Hrm... this makes sence, as soft water is more of a solvent, it makes better drinks?
http://www.harveywatersofteners.co.uk/blog/make-the-perfect-tea-with-soft-water

r3ccOs
11-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

Why not? Because the additional salt might add something to your diet?

If you really want to reduce your sodium, then stop adding salt to your food.

"As a general rule, an 8-ounce (236 milliliters) glass of softened tap water contains less than 12.5 milligrams of sodium." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317

To put this in perspective, health canada recommends that you should limit yourself to around 1500mg of salt a day. So have fun drinking that 28Liters of water it'll take to kick you over that, per day.

Though, if it really bothers you, you can always switch to potassium instead of salt for your water softening.

12.5 mg per cup = 50mg/l = 2.9 gpg of salt used = hardness level of about only 6.2gpg ish water... So that is a very low number where we are anywhere from 11.4 (North avg) - 15.4 (South avg)

In calgary its much closer to 25-29 mg per cup, or 110-125 mg/l, which is still very low & safe for consumption

edit -- I think I had the metrics kinda screwy
Its closer to 44% salt required for removal of hardness (well 43.79%)

so its where in my case:
Hardness (15.04 avg gpg) x Salt required (.4379) = 6.58 grains per gallon
then (converted into mg/l x 17.1) = 112.2mg/l
28.12 mg per cup (8oz)

That's in Auburn Bay where the hardness is hard, but in the North it'd be much less... like 30% less.

Capacity reserve is intresting
Most, including the Kenmore has a built in program to detect whether you have enough capacity to last the next 24hr based on your useage to determine whether to regenerate... if not (less by even a few hours) it will start its regeneration for that morning's cycle. This should provide seemless soft water (outside of the regeneration @ 2:00 AM0

However if you don't or know of higher demands coming forth... The easiest way is to give yourself about a days worth of overhead...
Lets say a typical family of 4 uses 300 gallons a day... you want to give yourself that much added overhead

So that might require adding a point or two (or 3 depending on your size and hardness) to your hardness rating to give you that 300 gallon buffer.

redblack
12-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Great info and write up. I ended up buying the same unit from sears and it took me about 2 hours to install, luckily the plumbing in my house had seperate lines to the kitchen sink/fridge and the outside hose bibs so i still have hard water going to them. So far i havent noticed a big difference but we'll see in the next few days.

I didnt see it in the manual but is there a way i can track how many days it takes to regenerate?

codetrap
12-07-2010, 10:17 AM
I have my hardness set to 18, and I turned off the high efficiency on salt. Mine is set to regen every 600gallons, or 4 days, whichever comes first. Based on that, I've used 4 bags of salt since I bought it, which was in... umm... June I think. I did bypass the outside water, but I'm going to redo the plumbing and include it. My plan is to switch to potassium instead of salt when I use up the last of my salt, then use it for washing outside, watering, filling the pool etc. I think it will be beneficial to the plants and washing, as well a won't really increase my costs too much.

TimG
12-07-2010, 12:26 PM
We've been shopping for a water softener system and every single person has said to us to bypass the outside water or you'll end up killing your plants.

codetrap
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TimG
We've been shopping for a water softener system and every single person has said to us to bypass the outside water or you'll end up killing your plants.

Are they all botanists?

TimG
12-07-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't know. They're probably just covering their asses.

but you're basically pouring salt water on your plants. Ever notice what happens to the grass on the side of your driveway when you use salt to melt the ice?

codetrap
12-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't think it's quite the same, as there a ton of evidence that the salt levels in the water won't affect the plants at all. In regards to using the potassium chloride instead, I've found a lot of commentary that it enhanced the plants as that is a primary ingredient in fertilizer.

r3ccOs
12-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I have my hardness set to 18, and I turned off the high efficiency on salt. Mine is set to regen every 600gallons, or 4 days, whichever comes first. Based on that, I've used 4 bags of salt since I bought it, which was in... umm... June I think. I did bypass the outside water, but I'm going to redo the plumbing and include it. My plan is to switch to potassium instead of salt when I use up the last of my salt, then use it for washing outside, watering, filling the pool etc. I think it will be beneficial to the plants and washing, as well a won't really increase my costs too much.

Curious... is 600 gallons @ 18 hardness your maximum salt effenciency? Cause thats only 10800 grains...

I mean it depends on the size of your brine tank...

mine is a .87 cuft and its rated max [email protected]... BUT I dont' have the ability to control @ how many gallons to regen NOR do I have the ability to control the amount of brine required...
So even if I set it to regen every 4/5 days manually it will still use the same amount of salt and water as if it thinks its 80% consumed, which is 26560, or until the system determines what is most effecient to run.

I know people who have full control, systems with little automation, set the either/either comes earier... gallons uses or days and the amount of brine required to clean for the maximum effenciency

codetrap
12-08-2010, 11:06 AM
It's very possible I don't have it set up right, but I went by what was in the user manual. AMP51

http://www.aquamasterpro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/AquaMasterPro_manual_04_07_10.pdf

r3ccOs
12-08-2010, 02:32 PM
It's very possible I don't have it set up right, but I went by what was in the user manual. AMP51

http://www.aquamasterpro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/AquaMasterPro_manual_04_07_10.pdf

I think the instruction basically indicates that the manual setting for regen running every 96hrs as a default or setting based on gallons of usage are for those likely with very hard water & iron...

I'd call the manufaturer, and see if the on-demand is sufficient...
We have hard water for City water, but its not like we're using Well water here and have high levels of iron and manganese.

Chances are your on-demand has some intelligence... mine is and has a buffer... that when it reaches a threshold (the number of gallons reached of its most effecient capacity (close to 80%)) it then engages to regen for that next cycle @ 2:00 AM... and will adjust accordingly to change that threshold based on usage per day... (i.e. baselines your useage and then gives you a 1 day overhead before regenerating...)

In a scenerio that it determines that you have only a half a day of soft water left (based on a baseline of your useage) after that next window to regen, it will then setup to regenerate for that evening instead.

Most on-demand have that type of programming, but often don't mention it.

Also in regards to soft water & plants... it doesn't hurt

Remeber its Soft Water not SALT water... we're talking 22mgs here in the summer of salt per cup, or 88mgs per liter
there should be no adverse affects to plant life, BUT... why waste soft water like that?

I know I didn't bypass my outside lines with seperate lines, BUT... I have a bypass valve that I can use.
I will bypass the back line sometime in the summer (so I can test the pressure) but will leave the front outside line for my car, and washing the outside of my house (again I can use a bypass if I need to water anything).

codetrap
12-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I reset it to just go every 600gallons, with the HE setting. That should keep it going well.

I have a bypass on the unit as well, as well as a plumbed in bypass just in case I need to disconnect the unit totally.

I still intend on going forward with adding in the outside taps though. I don't think my water usages is so high it's going to impact me a lot.

n1zm0
12-08-2010, 04:12 PM
funny this thread popped back up, i had a 45 mins close to an argument with the gf that we need to fill the soft water softener in our house, she has a hard time understanding the two, she's one of those ppl where she thinks the 'squeaky clean' feeling (hard water) is the good water whereas when i filled the salt and it runs through you feel the soapy (softer water) feeling after.

i think ill just have to stash some salt bags and fill it ninja style

autosm
12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
Oh & $40 for 10 bags of Sifto Salt @ the HD

I have recently started using this salt and my softener just packed it in..... I started having problems with a rubber component that I would have to replace every 3-5 years now down to needing replacement in 9 months. Main valve just seized up last week. Related, I am not sure but it has me wondering.

Used this salt since the spring about 9 months......

Reason I am now looking at this thread.

r3ccOs
12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by autosm

I have recently started using this salt and my softener just packed it in..... I started having problems with a rubber component that I would have to replace every 3-5 years now down to needing replacement in 9 months. Main valve just seized up last week. Related, I am not sure but it has me wondering.

Used this salt since the spring about 9 months......

Reason I am now looking at this thread.

Intresting... how old is your softener? Mine hasn't broke, but I've read nothing bad about using Cristal type salts, specifically SIFTO... I've asked these companies and they say that its just fine, and is very pure

BUT, if its causing issues, then yea I'd say the Windsor System Saver would be the way to go, but its strange, cause I've not heard anything bad about the salt.

In fact I've heard Cristals are good cause their shape help prevent bridging... but who knows

r3ccOs
12-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by redblack
Great info and write up. I ended up buying the same unit from sears and it took me about 2 hours to install, luckily the plumbing in my house had seperate lines to the kitchen sink/fridge and the outside hose bibs so i still have hard water going to them. So far i havent noticed a big difference but we'll see in the next few days.

I didnt see it in the manual but is there a way i can track how many days it takes to regenerate?

You can press and hold the button that says to regen that evening, 4 secs and it will begin its regen cycle... it can take up to 2 1/2 hrs

Have you really not noticed a difference?

codetrap
12-09-2010, 02:57 PM
2.5 hours? The regen cycle on mine isn't nearly that long. I think it's more like 15 minutes.

l/l/rX
12-09-2010, 04:50 PM
dumb noob question... What happens with condos? Just regular/ hard water or what?

yobi5888
12-09-2010, 05:29 PM
r3ccOs, can you post a picture of your installed water softener with how you run the water lines?

Just bought a Kenmore 200 unit based on your recommendation. :thumbsup:

r3ccOs
12-09-2010, 05:37 PM
2.5 hours? The regen cycle on mine isn't nearly that long. I think it's more like 15 minutes.

might be because you're setup for HE or something nuts...

but my backwash itself is set for 6 minutes... so I think maybe yours might be strangly mis-configured?

autosm
12-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Intresting... how old is your softener? Mine hasn't broke, but I've read nothing bad about using Cristal type salts, specifically SIFTO... I've asked these companies and they say that its just fine, and is very pure

BUT, if its causing issues, then yea I'd say the Windsor System Saver would be the way to go, but its strange, cause I've not heard anything bad about the salt.

In fact I've heard Cristals are good cause their shape help prevent bridging... but who knows

11 years old I figured its days were numbered.

I have really no idea what to expect from one.

r3ccOs
12-09-2010, 07:26 PM

11 years old I figured its days were numbered.

I have really no idea what to expect from one.

Somehow I think typically its around 10-15 years...

I'm hoping by then, there will be a better way, of which you won't have to use Salt and drain the brine out into our sewers

autosm
12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Lowes has this on for 598$ WHES30 Whirlpool
Might go this route as its a demand type and looks close to my kenmore unit thats given me 11 years. Its 1/2 what I paid for the kenmore.

Going to Sears first to check out the 200 series posted above.

30,000 Grain Capacity

Salt Saving Technology more This feature ensures that your softener will always be providing soft water for your entire home but also minimizes the amount of salt you will use. Whirlpool softeners are the most salt-efficient units in the industry.

Low Salt Light more This is an indicator light that will inform you when your softener is getting low on salt. When the light comes on you will be low on salt, not out. This will allow you a few days to refill the salt tank.

High Flow Valve more Delivers great water flow with minimal pressure drop to your shower and appliances. Connects to plumbing up to 1" in diameter.

Iron Removal Setting more This setting will trigger an additional backwash cycle to rid itself and your water supply of excess non-ferrous (clear water) iron.

Water Flow Indicator

Ideal for Family Size of 1-4

Demand Initiated Regeneration more Water softeners need to regenerate to continue to soften water. With Demand Initiated Regeneration, the Whirlpool units monitor your water usage and only regenerate when necessary, which minimizes your water and salt usage. Older timer-based models regenerate on a set cycle regardless of how much water you’ve used; this can result in unnecessary water and salt consumption.

Space-Saving Single Tank Design

Do-It-Yourself Installation Kit more Softeners come with detailed instructions and everything you need to install the unit, including a bypass valve.

1 Year Full Parts and Labor Warranty more The warranty on this unit is:
1 year full parts and labor
3 years on the electronics
10 years on the tanks

Available at Lowe's® Stores Nationwide

r3ccOs
12-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Lowes has this on for 598$ WHES30 Whirlpool
Might go this route as its a demand type and looks close to my kenmore unit thats given me 11 years. Its 1/2 what I paid for the kenmore.

Going to Sears first to check out the 200 series posted above.

30,000 Grain Capacity

Salt Saving Technology more This feature ensures that your softener will always be providing soft water for your entire home but also minimizes the amount of salt you will use. Whirlpool softeners are the most salt-efficient units in the industry.

Low Salt Light more This is an indicator light that will inform you when your softener is getting low on salt. When the light comes on you will be low on salt, not out. This will allow you a few days to refill the salt tank.

High Flow Valve more Delivers great water flow with minimal pressure drop to your shower and appliances. Connects to plumbing up to 1" in diameter.

Iron Removal Setting more This setting will trigger an additional backwash cycle to rid itself and your water supply of excess non-ferrous (clear water) iron.

Water Flow Indicator

Ideal for Family Size of 1-4

Demand Initiated Regeneration more Water softeners need to regenerate to continue to soften water. With Demand Initiated Regeneration, the Whirlpool units monitor your water usage and only regenerate when necessary, which minimizes your water and salt usage. Older timer-based models regenerate on a set cycle regardless of how much water you’ve used; this can result in unnecessary water and salt consumption.

Space-Saving Single Tank Design

Do-It-Yourself Installation Kit more Softeners come with detailed instructions and everything you need to install the unit, including a bypass valve.

1 Year Full Parts and Labor Warranty more The warranty on this unit is:
1 year full parts and labor
3 years on the electronics
10 years on the tanks

Available at Lowe's® Stores Nationwide

Wow! Good price... hard to argue with that

I would probably have gone with that for that price if Lowes wasn't all the way up by Crossirons...

Not sure, but I don't think the 10% salt capacity will make a big difference, so I'd say grab it.

Seeing how you had one before, should be easy to install, unless of course you have to do alot of copper soldering if the height is very different.

autosm
12-09-2010, 11:19 PM
^Its 200 off currently

I won't be in this house for more than 5 years so no Kinetico for me.

Its all pex so install will be 1/2 hour tops.

r3ccOs
12-10-2010, 02:34 PM
^Its 200 off currently

I won't be in this house for more than 5 years so no Kinetico for me.

Its all pex so install will be 1/2 hour tops.

simple

these new machines are very effecient (GE included) and I have yet to see how it is possible the Kenetico can be much more effecient with its resin..

I do realize the Kenetico comes to produce effenciency and continuity through a different perspective of thought via simplicity, but I don't think $2500 to pay for basically a metered system with 2 .5CU resin tanks to be worth while.

Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it is much better to backwash with soft water? (maybe)... but I doubt it
I don't see how the 7 liters or so of hard water can really damage a normal softener unit, even over time?

jeeze a softener for $600 and self installed w/ 15 bucks worth of pex & elbows + 10bucks for a pex crimper rental is tough to beat.

Run a regen when you install it (w/ salt of course), set it to 18 in the south, or 14 in the north and you're pretty much set, the programing will handle the rest.

autosm
12-12-2010, 12:18 AM
+Fifty bucks for a flexible tube kit to go from pex to the softener that was not included with it. Install was easier with it as no soldering required.

This Whirlpool unit looks almost identical to the Kenmore unit it is replacing. Once you get the covers off. Even the fact that they were made ten years apart.

Pretty good for around 700$ and a bit of time.

r3ccOs
12-12-2010, 09:23 AM
+Fifty bucks for a flexible tube kit to go from pex to the softener that was not included with it. Install was easier with it as no soldering required.

This Whirlpool unit looks almost identical to the Kenmore unit it is replacing. Once you get the covers off. Even the fact that they were made ten years apart.

Pretty good for around 700$ and a bit of time.

I agree!

silvercivicsir
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
The ultra soft 200 is on sale for boxing week $659.99

rookie101
01-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
The ultra soft 200 is on sale for boxing week $659.99

Looks like that deal is over, the best I can find is 999.00 on that model. Anyone know of any decent sales on right now. I've spent the morning googling and the best I can find is about eight hundred.

Also I'm down in Okotoks, so please don't say Cross Iron.......:D

silvercivicsir
01-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Check out www.sears.ca and go under "flyers".. it's in the current flyer under "clearance" page 7

Might swing by and see after work tomorrow.

rookie101
01-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
Check out www.sears.ca and go under "flyers".. it's in the current flyer under "clearance" page 7

Might swing by and see after work tomorrow.

Awesome, thanks for that.

EDIT: Tried calling around to the stores in the south end and they were all out of stock, so just called the Sears 1-800 number and ordered it over the phone.

silvercivicsir
01-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Screw You SEARS NE.... nobody would help me, guess I'll be calling the 1-800 and order it over the Phone too..

rookie101
01-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Just give the person on the phone the item number from the flyer and they'll give you the sale price. For some reason it doesn't come up on the online order form at the discounted price, which is why I called the 1-800.

The fellow also asked me if I wanted to pay at pick-up time, but I just gave them my credit card number over the phone.

r3ccOs
01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by rookie101
Just give the person on the phone the item number from the flyer and they'll give you the sale price. For some reason it doesn't come up on the online order form at the discounted price, which is why I called the 1-800.

The fellow also asked me if I wanted to pay at pick-up time, but I just gave them my credit card number over the phone.

Day 43, water is still soft and regen'd 5 times since...

Guess 33,200 is more than enough for 3 people

glasses are sparking, laundry is soft, using less soap & my bottom has never been smoother.

Waldi
01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Eventually bought one...

Based on the City of Calgary water hardness FAQ:

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_237_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Water+Services/Drinking+Water/Water+Quality/Water+Hardness+FAQ.htm

We have pretty hard water, especially on the SW/SE side of the city coming from the Glenmore Res... which I live in where we average 15 gpg (grains per gallon) and peaks high in the 17-18 range.

At least our Iron & Manganese levels are low that those don't have to too be complensated (as ppm is the same as mg/l I belive)

Anyways... based on sizing of usage:

75-80 liters of water consumped per person x persons x gpg = grains removed per day
For me, that's: 3375 for 3 (4500 for 4, but we only have 3)

As such, the general rule of thumb is that you want a regeneration cycle to run about once a week... as such you have to be able to accomodate those 7 days... so for me (& for most accorindg to Culligan and other plumbers) a 33,200, grain system is more than sufficient for 4 people (couples share showers, run only one dishwasher or share laundry loads)

So seeing how there are sears days on sale, I picked up the mid-sized Kenmore Ultrasoft 200, for $658...
Which comes w/ a bypass kit, which is really nice, as you can take the softener out of line for service or in my case, watering the lawn).

Great info, but your softener should only be used on hot water line so watering lawn should not be an issue. In fact using softener on your drinking water (cold) is harmful.

I then hit up the home depot, and bought a pair of pex-copper couplers and then bought a 20foot roll of 3/4 pex, 3/4 elbow joints, 3/4 rings and rented a crimper.

Now... I did do a bit of a lazy approach... why I say is
#1 - I did not bypass anything, not even to the outside lines.
Why?
Well, I was told that you wouldn't taste the soft water, and you know what... you don't... but you also still prevent calcification which happens quite often with stainless taps, especially kitchen ones even when you are using cold water.
(this being told by a couple plumbers and even sears & home depot)

#2 - I did not bypass my outside lines... WHY? Well, I don't intend on watering my grass with soft water, no.
BUT... being that I have a bypass valve anyways, I just need to just push on a button... just that simple.
HOWEVER the nice thing is... I can wash things outside with soft water, SPOT free! Like my car, and even my dog! lol a spot free black labrador.

Anyways, my impressions are:
this is awesome, and why did I wait so long.

Water feels much better, soaps lather better, clothes feel better... less calcification on toilets/taps and no soap scum.
Also, though its not immediately tangable, it will extend the life of your hot water tank, my LG steam washer/dryer and dish washer.

I really don't know why I waited so long.

Now to explain why I went for (or cheaped out) for the mid-sized as opposed to going for a bigger capcity one such as the 39k or 45k one... is that with only 3 people, it would take more than 7 days to get to the regeneration cycle... in the case of the 45k one, it could take up to 2 weeks or more and this is not a good thing, as certain biological things could build up and the salt has a greater chance to bridge whist idle... If you set a manual timer to regenerate lets say every 7 days... then you'd waste more salt and water as well...

Great info on install process, like I said you should exclude cold water system as it has big impact on health (see link)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_softening
So I went with what everyone recommended

yellowsnow
03-04-2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10345977&cm_mmc=CNEmail_EN_504-_-FOCUS-_-27-_-MarketingItemName

What do you guys think of this water softening unit? Not much reviews on the web

InRich
03-04-2011, 10:40 PM
I use BRM inc. they did my water softener, which is the best in town, next to the Costco water softeners, and a water purifier, for 1600, installed. give them a call 8524450. www.thewaterman.ca

I found them at the trade show a year ago.

C_Dave45
03-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Wow....and I don't even have a water softener. :dunno:

part4sale
08-12-2012, 10:33 AM
does neone here have experience with this brand http://www.waterworkcompany.com/water-softeners_1.asp ? It's on sale right now and some people say it's pretty good. Just wanna here comments from local people.

Tks,

codetrap
08-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Just as an aside. I switched fully to Potassium now and added in a feed for the outside taps. The plants seem to be doing better now, and I have noticed that the slippery feeling seems to be a little less now. It's still fully softened, just feels a bit different.

The potassium sure isn't cheap though. 3 bags for $75 to fill the softener. On the plus side, even with regular regenerations, I still only have to fill it a few times a year.

Sugarphreak
04-13-2013, 03:03 PM

r3ccOs
04-13-2013, 03:11 PM
no idea... but costco has a 40000 grain system for like $400 bucks that comes with an install kit...

just rent a pex crimper/cutter and get the fittings and a small roll of 5/8 pex

rojhero
04-13-2013, 05:00 PM
From my previous research. The salt-less systems are scams with no scientific evidence to back up the claims.

We recently installed the Costco system ($430) at our house and at my parents house. The systems work great and are a great value. There are three regeneration settings depending on usage. With our current low usage setting (16,000 grains) I'm estimating I will only need to dump in three bags of salt once every 6 months. Not bad if lugging salt is the reason you are looking at salt-less systems. Only complaint is the salt reservoir opening is a bit small. If that bothers you the Fleck systems are well-reviewed.

Also, big thanks to r3ccOs. I read your posts on softeners from way back and they were great!

G
04-13-2013, 06:34 PM
I was told to only add one bag whenever I see water...something about a salt bridge if too much salt is added at once?

codetrap
04-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by G
I was told to only add one bag whenever I see water...something about a salt bridge if too much salt is added at once? IIRC, a salt bridge is where the salt pellets stick together and form a shell just above the water line, so that the water get's progressively less and less salty because the pellets above the shell can't get to water. I have yet to see this happen, and I fill that sucker up according to the instructions with a couple of bags a year.

As a general update.. the potassium is TOTALLY worth it. The water tastes a bit better, and my grass/plants outside did great last summer. $150ish a year for salt is nothing in the grand scheme of things. 3 Years later, and I'm still amazed that I never did this before. Softened water is great without a doubt. I haven't had to clean any hard water off anything since we installed it. General cleaning of sinks/showers/tubs is easier. No buildup on anything. All perfect.

Sugarphreak
04-13-2013, 09:00 PM

Strider
04-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I've been reading that if you are on a low sodium diet a softener can really mess with it, any idea if the levels of potassium added into the water have any adverse long term health affects?

Why not stick with salt and bypass your kitchen cold water for drinking/cooking & hose bibs for watering the lawn?

ganesh
04-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Why not stick with salt and bypass your kitchen cold water for drinking/cooking & hose bibs for watering the lawn?

Isn't that the norm? You by pass cooking, Fridge water line and garden?

palaca
07-16-2014, 11:59 PM
nice write up. luckily the plumbing in my house had seperate lines to the kitchen fridge and the outside hose bibs so i still have soft water going to them. So far i havent noticed a big difference in calgary water softeners (http://coldfrogwater.ca/) but we'll see in a few days

cyra1ax
07-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Anyone have the Premier unit from Costco? Also looking at the Kinetico unit that Costco outsources to a third party.