PDA

View Full Version : Tinted Windows...

WBB6
12-19-2003, 10:26 AM
How bad do the police usually hastle people with "illegally" tinted windows (Driver/Passenger Windows)???

How much is the ticket & do they make you take it off???

I am planning on getting all my windows tinted the lightest tint so it won't be too dark...

Any experiences??

C4S
12-19-2003, 11:29 AM
If you go 50% in front, 35% in rear windows, that should be fine .. :burnout:

I used to hv 20% all around .. beside it was damn ULGY .. it caused lots of trouble .. :(

maximus
12-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Depends on the cop, your car, etc. I was pulled over many times. I know some older guys with mercedes and bmws that say they've been right beside a cop and they havn't done anything. :dunno:

I would defintely go light smoked. Looks way better than limo all around IMO. I've had limo all around and never will again...I grew out of that stage!

BTW, if they pull you over they CAN'T make you take it off then and there or tow you as some cops might try. Law is you have 3 days. Or get smoked glass and they can't touch you!!!

:thumbsup:

G
12-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by C4S
If you go 50% in front, 35% in rear windows, that should be fine .. :burnout:

I used to hv 20% all around .. beside it was damn ULGY .. it caused lots of trouble .. :(

At night, 20%, 35%, 50% all look just as dark. I never got a ticket for my G35 but got lots in my Prelude. Cops do target the type of car tint is on.

Khyron
12-19-2003, 01:01 PM
I've been nailed once and my wife got caught once driving to work. No speeding or other reasons - just the tint. I have 35ish front, 20 back but it's blended so it looks darker than it is.

The ticket used to be 35 bucks but now it's 65ish.

Call it the tint tax and keep on blingin.

Khyron

C4S
12-19-2003, 01:18 PM
:D

Just make sure the front windows look lighter then the rear windows !

I never got problem for last 6 yrs with tinted ! :D

(but when I had 20%, I got caught few times.. :( )

rio_rex
12-19-2003, 01:42 PM
I got a tinting ticket about 2 years ago, cost me $32. Since then thats the only ticket i'v got.

CRXguy
12-19-2003, 03:07 PM
I have 35% tint from driver/passenger side and back. Had it since summer and have been hassled once, only cuz the g/f was speeding up Highway 2. The officer just gave a warning, but he had to peel off just a tiny bit for the hell of it. :banghead:

My guess is that they only bring up the tint if they pull you over for something else. So don't give them a chance to pull you over, or else it's game over! :D

EK 2.0
12-19-2003, 03:14 PM
Highway Traffic Act states that NO opaque material is to be placed on the front windows of any road legal motor vehicle...So everyone can take their chances...you are always up to the mercy of the charging officer...

rage2
12-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by maximus
Or get smoked glass and they can't touch you!!!
Where can you get glass smoked?

maximus
12-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Where can you get glass smoked?

Some glass shops (in Calgary??) used to be able to smoke or send out for smoking.

LancerShelby
12-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Law is you have 3 days. Where is this stated?

Khyron
12-19-2003, 07:19 PM
My guess is that they only bring up the tint if they pull you over for something else. So don't give them a chance to pull you over, or else it's game over! :D [/B]

As I mentioned, 2 times just for tint. If they need their quota, it's an easy free ticket. I never pull up beside a cop at a light - it's just asking for it.

I too would like to see the 3 day rule. I was under the impression they could force you to take it off on the spot as it's considered a (retarded) safety issue.

And yah, tint is fine as long as it's not a film. The last cop I asked said it's cause in an emergency if they break the glass it doesn't shatter to tiny pebbles like just glass does. I will definately be ordering tinted (smoked) driver/pass windows in the future if my film nets me more tickets. There's also that tint that gets darker or lighter depending on the current passing through it. We'll see those soon I hope.

Khyron

itsnotaDUB
12-19-2003, 07:21 PM
i had all my windows tinted and i got tickets everyday, it was $28.00 each ticket. the tint was 2%

buh_buh
12-19-2003, 07:28 PM
how can you even see out the windows with a 2% tint???

88CRX
12-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by itsnotaDUB
i had all my windows tinted and i got tickets everyday, it was $28.00 each ticket. the tint was 2%

ha :eek: that looks like solid black vinyl :eek:

Khyron
12-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Couldn't afford real tint so used electricians tape? :D Hell if I was a cop and I saw that car I'd pull you over just to search for pimps.

Khyron

itsnotaDUB
12-19-2003, 08:20 PM
lol,its not that bad to see out the windows in the day. at night in the city its a little tough but on the highway its nice...

maximus
12-19-2003, 09:36 PM
:rofl:

Kevin = :bigpimp:

And the three day rule is there. At least it was two years ago. I went through the whole story before on here so it may come up on search but basically the cop told me to take them off then and there. I never had to before with all my other tint tickets so as he was writing I called the police department main office or something. (Called my brother he looked in the blue pages of the white pages and called me right back.) So I called but I didn't tell the lady the situation. I just said me and a friend wanted to settle a bet and what the law was regarding taking off the tint; if you had to take it off immediately. She said no at least 72hrs.

Later on I was talking to a lawyer friend of my dads and my friend brought up how they used to slice a piece off so that it looked horrible and you'd eventually have to take it off. The lawyer said you could fight that as destruction of private property and get your tinting reimbursed.

Don't know if the last bit would actually hold up in court but there definately was a 3-day rule. Try calling. Nothing to lose!

maximus
12-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Not as dark as Itsnotadub's.....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pa869193aaccf85967084429a4b923cf2/fa4146ca.jpg

Who did 'em that dark for you???

WBB6
12-19-2003, 09:53 PM
OK, new question...

How much will it cost for a 4 door BMW to get all the windows tinted?

any suggestions on where to go? (other than 3M Trim-Line)

T5Bird
12-19-2003, 09:56 PM
Shadow Tinting, I can probably get a you a deal.

illeagle
12-19-2003, 10:18 PM
I think tint is out, but i feel naked without it (exposed).... I'm gonna do 20% for the 3 rear windows on my 4 door car...

On the family van, i have 20% up front and the other 5 windows are double tinted 20% bronze, and a black 2%, over top of the bronze, Never been bothered by the cops, they pull up beside me and twice i watched 2 different cops, either stretch or yawn, they never noticed me.

WBB6
12-19-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
I think tint is out, but i feel naked without it (exposed).... I'm gonna do 20% for the 3 rear windows on my 4 door car...

On the family van, i have 20% up front and the other 5 windows are double tinted 20% bronze, and a black 2%, over top of the bronze, Never been bothered by the cops, they pull up beside me and twice i watched 2 different cops, either stretch or yawn, they never noticed me.

Yes and No, I think that super dark limo tint is out...but a light smoked tint can be really nice on the right color car...:thumbsup:

04blackMAX
12-19-2003, 10:39 PM
black car with dark tint looks money.....green car with dark tint looks gay, white cars with tint also look gay....silver car with light tint looks good..just my 2 cents

WBB6
12-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 04blackMAX
black car with dark tint looks money.....green car with dark tint looks gay, white cars with tint also look gay....silver car with light tint looks good..just my 2 cents

I agree....the best looking is a black car with tint compared to other cars....white seems like abit too "try-hard"

NickGT
12-20-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by WBB6

I agree....the best looking is a black car with tint compared to other cars....white seems like abit too "try-hard"

meh.

On my first stang, had all the windows tinted. Was ticketed within the first 2 weeks. But I bought the car like that, so no loss. Ripped it off the next day.

My white stang has limo on the back 3... Its nice, but I dont think I'll waste money on tint ever again.

itsnotaDUB
12-20-2003, 03:47 AM
Not as dark as Itsnotadub's.....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pa869193aaccf85967084429a4b923cf2/fa4146ca.jpg

Who did 'em that dark for you???

i did my windows myself, looked money. no rips or bubbles

Mikko
12-21-2003, 08:07 AM
At night, 20%, 35%, 50% all look just as dark. I never got a ticket for my G35 but got lots in my Prelude.

From the outside you mean? :D Driving at night with half the tiny light blocked though.. :guns: