PDA

View Full Version : ICBC claim - Advice?

kyoufu
07-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi there, just hoping some people around may be more knowledgeable than me about ICBC's inner workings. Here is the situation:

Last week I was driving home and I hit a deer. I was going around 80 km/h and it did a good number on my front end. So I did what I should, took pictures, didn't wash the car took it to ICBC and got an estimate. All was well and it's covered under comprehensive except that unfortunately, unknown to me, my deductible for my comprehensive is $1000.00. Woops.

So I looked that the estimate and at my car, and I realized I could probably do at least some of the work and track down some of the parts at auto-wreckers etc and have the bill end up significantly cheaper than the 2800 that was quoted. Unfortunately my adjuster is pretty much the exact opposite of helpful, actually responding to my question of if he could suggest any way to proceed where I could possibly save money by doing some work myself "It is not our responsibility to save you money." and refusing to answer my question with akward silence.

Last quirk is he didn't look under the hood so there is a note on the estimate saying shop is authorized to finish inspection for hidden damage / eletrical/mechanical damage.

So anyway my choices as I understand them are as follows: Either take it to an ICBC shop pay 1000 bucks and they fix everything, or else show up at ICBC with everything fixed and they will pay me out at a rate of $50.55/h instead of the rate on the estimate which is $70.00/h.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice as to how I could save a few bucks here? A lot of the cost is new hood, new head lights (only 50% covered), things like that I can probably find cheaper by scouring online/ebay etc but.. ya, seems they are going out of their way to stop me from trying to save any money.

revelations
07-26-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.condomdepot.com/content/product/large/ky-jelly4.jpg

Seriously though, my experiences with ICBC varied from adjuster to adjuster. You just got someone who couldnt give a rip.

Is your frame damaged at all?

kyoufu
07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
No, I don't think so not 100% sure though. May be hidden damage, but I opened the hood didn't see anything obvious.

The damage breakdown is as follows:
New grill/grill repaint
New hood/hood repaint
Rt Fender repair/repaint
LT fender repaint
New headlamps/side lamps (recycled or else 50% coverage due to previous rock damage to headlamps)
and 2.5 hours allocated to front bumper assembly
plus a guard from one of my lower lights

all in all its 17.6 hours of labour 1265 worth of parts.

I was just hoping to find a way I can save some of that 1000 deductible by scouring auto wreckers/online etc. I initially figured cash settlement - do as much as I can myself then pay to have the rest done. But if I understood correctly from what info the adjuster did provide, I will then get reimbursed 889.68 for labour as opposed to the 1232 quoted in estimate due to the different rates.

Cos
07-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Honestly although the 1000 sucks, it is better off for you to pay it then to pay a little MORE and fix it yourself. If it is that damaged I would only purchase it if fixed properly.

Plus you are going to pay 1232 instead of 1000 bucks. Not looking at your rates it is pretty self evident. It is ICBC so rates would go up THAT much since it was an animal.

kyoufu
07-26-2010, 07:10 PM
It's comprehensive so my rates don't go up regardless.

I outlined my options in the first post as I understand them. I am currently waiting to hear from the manager to see if I understood correctly.

As I understand it though I can either pay 1000 bucks and probably plus 50% of cost for lights and have it fixed, or show up at icbc with it fixed and have them pay me ~1400.

Even with the 400 difference it may still be worth it for me to do it the second way but I'd have to price it out exactly to be sure I would make up that difference by getting the parts myself.

Anyway, it's very hard to find info on if I have other options and I've never been in an accident before so I am looking for a third option here. It seems very odd that I am unable to save myself money by doing some of the work when it has no bearing on what ICBC ends up paying. I am insured for dollars against damage with them determining the dollar amount. I don't think it is ethical to force me to go to certain "approved ICBC body shop" to get it repaired, as long as in the end the damage is repaired.

Edit: Just to make myself clear, as an example the headlights were priced out at $200.00 each. Thats $400.00 for headlights. The hood was priced at $336 dollars PLUS 470.00 for installation and repaint. I can definately find a hood cheaper than that and it's not exactly difficult to install a hood. Grill is another $170.00.

I could easily pick up a grill for 50 bucks, a hood for $200 and lights for $250. That saves me ~$460 right there just by tracking down three parts myself, and then I could still let the shop repaint/install if it was even remotely difficult.

Zero102
07-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes, but look at it from their side.
You have a $1000 deductible. The total cost is $2800. If you can save $460 from the total cost then it is still more than your deductible. You pay the first $1000 regardless, they won't take the $460 out of your $1000, but rather out of what they pay.

Also, they won't have the same assurance that it is fixed to their satisfaction, possibly making them liable for a much larger repair bill later. So, although it may look like you are saving yourself/them money, in the end you are increasing their liability and the potential risk that they will be paying out significantly more later.

There should be an option to have them pay out the parts + the reduced rate, then you take it away and fix it however you like. When I dealt with ICBC they allowed me to do this. It sounds like this is the 3rd option you are looking for. Ask them for the payout and you will fix it as you see fit.

97'Scort
07-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Pay the grand. It's not going to be worth the hassle otherwise. They'll delay paying you out.

Then, go get your deductible lowered. Mine's at $300.