PDA

View Full Version : Transit Police

Shlade
07-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Anybody know when their new budget is coming out? I keep hearing the fall but its changed so many damn times..

Anybody going to apply if the approval comes soon?

craigcd
07-27-2010, 08:31 AM
My cousin did this for a year as he was defered from the Police Department- he hated it. It could have been because hes a big dude and im pretty sure he was on tough beat (LRT tracks) and they would deal with the same scum over and over as they were caught and released. He hated the shift work and ultimatley decided against being a cop and went another direction because of it.

Just a heads up but good luck!

Shlade
07-27-2010, 08:51 AM

Awd-Tsi
07-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Lol I remember these guys in high school, we always called them rent-a-po

JfuckinC
07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Awd-Tsi
Lol I remember these guys in high school, we always called them rent-a-po

Witty

Sancho_Cheeto
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Witty

:rofl:

Tarrantula
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Witty

He's a chill guy.

e31
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Does anyone else see a problem with a Transit cop making 78K ???

Hint: Detroit Auto workers

Awd-Tsi
07-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by e31

Hint: Detroit Auto workers Yes considering the real police that I talked to don't make quite that

colinxx235
07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by e31

I was under the impression that was Shlades combined income of smoking pole too...??? :confused: :confused:

Jlude
07-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by e31

Real cops don't make that after 3 years, so I find that hard to believe.

4lti
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I herd somewhere a Transit cop starting makes more then a cop working a few years on the line.
Dunno if its true tho.

Why would anyone wanna be a Transit cop...
Bums all the time downtown and shit.
But 98% of the time the transit cops are in groups of 5 or more standing at the top of Marlborough station :rofl:

sexualbanana
07-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I really don't think that's correct, but who knows.

Cascade
07-27-2010, 03:27 PM
I remember hearing on the news a few months ago that the transit cops want guns!! :nut:

That would only escalate most situations anyways. I find they tend to use too much force and abuse their powers (from first hand accounts of others I know and on strangers).

Shlade
07-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Starting pay is $27 an hour... Cap out around 45 In a few years...

I dont see whats bad about the Job? You work for the city and you have good benefits and pay..

And yes Transit makes more than a CPS officer.

colinxx235
07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Shlade

I dont see whats bad about the Job? You work for the city and you have good benefits and pay..

Because regardless your job/"career" is a joke. You have no education, and submit nothing to society besides cash cowing a pathetic transportation system. But hey, judging by most of your posts on here I doubt you have many friends to lose or care about what you accomplish...

phil98z24
07-27-2010, 04:06 PM

First off, they aren't police. They are peace officers. That is a huge difference in terms of actual authorities, and the bad guys know that.

They make more for a short while until we get to second and first class and end up making more... yes Transit guys get there sooner, but they deal with entirely different shit altogether and a fair number of them aren't exactly happy about it.

I can also tell you that I've met a fair number of POS Transit guys too, so don't be fooled into thinking this will be a good alternative because there are so many asshole cops in this city. Bad guys don't respect you, the public doesn't respect you, there aren't any real perks to the job and I think it becomes mind numbing after awhile because of the very limited jurisdiction they have in the city.

Just some food for thought.

Shlade
07-27-2010, 04:09 PM

Shlade
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Disregard the last ;)

Goodfella
07-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Lmao about the marlbrough station comment so true :rofl:

arian_ma
07-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Heres a question for you Colin. Would you rather get your hands dirty and get charged for causing a disturbance when a drunk/drugged up POS is on the train track harrassing your girlfriend or trying to pick a fight with you, OR would you rather have somebody come there and deal with him in the proper manner and you not get into any sort of trouble?

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes here but I have never seen a transit cop do anything but write people tickets.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-28-2010, 08:11 AM
My buddy did transit officer for a year, and they deal with LOTS of bullshit from drunks at night. They have to wear those stab gloves to protect them from needles and dumbasses who attack them.

They are much more likely to have a violent confrontation then an officer from the traffic unit.

However, it is mindless, but the risk is high.

I think their pay is appropriate. I just don't think very highly of them either.

spike98
07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I have nothing to add here but it really irritates me when a officer of the law calls suspects "Bad Guys". Seems unprofessional and and presumpuous.

Carry on

colinxx235
07-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes here but I have never seen a transit cop do anything but write people tickets.

+1 to this Shlade...

I have had to defend myself on three seperate occassions, two downtown, and once at canyon meadows. Transit cops were never present. And as for me defending my girlfriend, don't worry about that, I take the c-train maybbeeee two times a year because it is a pathetic system as stated many times. I will take my lovely heated/air-conditioned seats over that crap box anytime.

Whether you claim it as a stepping stone or not, it's still a crap useless job. I fail to see what gain, besides some monetary that it has. But oh well, I should probably stop arguing about such a useless topic... i'm just epicly bored at work and this entertains.

bubbley
07-28-2010, 09:39 AM
So they are called Transit 'Police' now?

swak
07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
So they are called Transit 'Police' now?

mall security are mall cops now too...

Whats this world coming to??? :dunno:

Chopstixx
07-28-2010, 08:24 PM
i dont get whats s bad about the transit system? thousands of people, use it.. we all used it when we were kids never hated anything bout it expect fr the wait time.. i blame the bums and the kids that stand around at malbrough and white horn and think theyre tuff stuff.. real cops have other stuff to do like harrass us for exhaust and tint when transit cops get those retards outta ppls way at the train stations

i wouldnt mind applyin, do it for a year while im doing other crap lke uni on the side. good way to mod my ride.. then after persue a real career

revelations
07-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24

First off, they aren't police. They are peace officers. That is a huge difference in terms of actual authorities, and the bad guys know that.

They make more for a short while until we get to second and first class and end up making more... yes Transit guys get there sooner, but they deal with entirely different shit altogether and a fair number of them aren't exactly happy about it.

I can also tell you that I've met a fair number of POS Transit guys too, so don't be fooled into thinking this will be a good alternative because there are so many asshole cops in this city. Bad guys don't respect you, the public doesn't respect you, there aren't any real perks to the job and I think it becomes mind numbing after awhile because of the very limited jurisdiction they have in the city.

Just some food for thought.

Do the Transit guys have the same amount, or type of, paper work you guys do (eg. Report to Crown Council)?

dsr7723
08-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Because regardless your job/"career" is a joke. You have no education, and submit nothing to society besides cash cowing a pathetic transportation system. But hey, judging by most of your posts on here I doubt you have many friends to lose or care about what you accomplish...

So wtf do you then to post such a high and mighty comment? You a supreme court judge or something? Why not STFU instead of putting someone down for their career choice? You high up fucks like to piss on people you deem inferior, you NEED those "below" you 'cuz I doubt you even clean your own toilet but you probably expect to shit on a solid gold toilet seat, right? STFU and keep signing the cheques buddy, that's all you and your types are good for.

swak
08-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by dsr7723

So wtf do you then to post such a high and mighty comment? You a supreme court judge or something? Why not STFU instead of putting someone down for their career choice? You high up fucks like to piss on people you deem inferior, you NEED those "below" you 'cuz I doubt you even clean your own toilet but you probably expect to shit on a solid gold toilet seat, right? STFU and keep signing the cheques buddy, that's all you and your types are good for.

I highly doubt thats where he was going with his post.

.. and i disagree. I have nothing against anyones career choices, but i do have problems with some of the 'careers' out there, just because some people think its necessary to carry on with their lives.

Security Guards are at the top of my list for this one.
.. They are just regular citizens with no authority walking around guarding rich peoples shit.
Nothing special here.

colinxx235
08-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by dsr7723

ooo boy did I ever strike a nerve here or what ;) might you be in a similar line of work? haha

I'm in the Mech Engg field, but hey... maybe I should change my directives towards Law just for you :love:

As well you are correct... I do not clean my own toilets, that's what a house cleaner is for haha :rofl:

I still stand by my comment of Transit fags not being a career choice, go on and live your life knowing you contributed nothing, fine by me...

dsr7723
08-03-2010, 05:36 PM

ooo boy did I ever strike a nerve here or what ;) might you be in a similar line of work? haha

I'm in the Mech Engg field, but hey... maybe I should change my directives towards Law just for you :love:

As well you are correct... I do not clean my own toilets, that's what a house cleaner is for haha :rofl:

I still stand by my comment of Transit fags not being a career choice, go on and live your life knowing you contributed nothing, fine by me...

LMAO if you only knew.... if you only knew....

dandia89
08-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Maybe it's not something people want as a career, but did you ever think that some people aren't as fortunate as you? to go to a school, get an education and a decent job? I'm doing mech engineering also, and I appreciate where I'm at. I also understand that it's not possible for alot of people to get decent jobs and thats why they have to take that shitty job just for a paycheck

Disoblige
08-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by spike98
I have nothing to add here but it really irritates me when a officer of the law calls suspects "Bad Guys". Seems unprofessional and and presumpuous.

Carry on

Well, he didn't mention the word suspect anywhere. He just said "bad guys", so I don't see anything wrong with that since there was no interchangeability between the words.

Calgarybeat
08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Posting Title: Public Safety & Enforcement Officer

Reference: 112006

Job Information

Posting Title: Public Safety and Enforcement Officer

Business Unit/Division: Calgary Transit/Public Safety and Enforcement

Union/Position: CUPE Local 38/Permanent & Temporary (up to six months)

Compensation:

Pay Grade 9

$28.82 – 31.71 – 33.31 – 34.96 – 36.73 – 38.55 per hour

Hours of Work: This position works a standard 35 hour work week and will require rotating shifts (including weekends and holidays).

Business Unit Information:

Calgary Transit carries over 90 million customers each year. The organization plans, designs and operates The City’s entire public transportation system, including a growing fleet of buses, a Light Rail Transit network, and accessible public transportation for people with disabilities.

Responsibilities:

Reporting to the Operational Supervisors, the Public Safety and Enforcement Officer is responsible for preserving the public peace and enforcing mandated laws applicable to the Calgary Transit properties.

Duties include:

- enforcement of Municipal By-laws, Provincial statutes and the criminal code of canada;
- investigate complaints on the buses and LRT system city wide;
- provide assistance to the public and respond to emergency situations;
- protect transit customers and transit property;
- conduct preventative patrols on the LRT system;
- prepare and give evidence in Court;
- attend training courses as required;
- promote positive customer and community relations;
- other related duties as assigned.

Qualifications:

Applicants must possess a minimum of a High School diploma or equivalency (e.g. GED), supplemented by at least three years work experience of which two of those years are in an enforcement/security related role with demonstrated ability in the apprehension of individuals, and one year is in a customer service related role. Applicants must have a valid Class 5 Operator’s License (or provincial equivalent) with no more than six demerits and no current suspensions or charges pending. Applicants must have no criminal convictions and be eligible for a Community Peace Officer Appointment. Knowledge of the Criminal Code, Provincial statutes, Municipal By-laws are considered assets. Experience in a customer service environment supplemented by related courses in criminology are considered assets.

This role will require a demonstrated ability to affect a physical arrests, and conduct all aspects of the duties of a Public Safety and Enforcement Officer. The ability to communicate effectively, strong interpersonal skills, and tact in dealing with the public and staff at all levels, and the ability to deal with confrontational situations and stress is required. Demonstrated ability to mediate conflict situations with the public is preferred.

Note:

Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications. Only education obtained from an accredited institution will be recognized as meeting the minimum qualifications. More than one position may be filled from this competition.
A Security Clearance, including fingerprinting, will be conducted. Applicants must meet the Provincial standard on the PARE physical fitness test prior to consideration for an offer of employment.

Please apply on or before: 2010/08/23

http://www.calgary.ca

dsr7723
08-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by dandia89

Maybe it's not something people want as a career, but did you ever think that some people aren't as fortunate as you? to go to a school, get an education and a decent job? I'm doing mech engineering also, and I appreciate where I'm at. I also understand that it's not possible for alot of people to get decent jobs and thats why they have to take that shitty job just for a paycheck

Amen.