PDA

View Full Version : increasing stamina? major changes

r3ccOs
07-27-2010, 11:09 AM
I've played sports all my life and have at certain points of my life been in tremendous shape with even great aerobic endurance... but more often than not, I've never been a great recovery athlete

I boxed - but at an amateur level, so never marathon bouts
I skiied to a high level, but anerobic for a relatively short duration
I played 2 years of college football as a free safety - training again mostly on explosveness and speed
Played hockey till midget AAA
I play and still play competitive men's soccer - but as a right back or sweeper... or backup striker all about explosiveness

I've always been strong for my size, not being little, but not huge @ 6' anywhere from 190-205 for the last 12 years..
Was able to run the 40 in 4.8, very good with explosiveness for power cleans, could always build strengh easy, bench press, curls, deadlifts squats etc...
I've even done running training, from windsprints to long endurance running, where I've ran a half marathon in 1:36

BUT... I've never been able to find a balance, even with all the "specific" training I've ever had (diet included)

I'm thinking it must be a situation of where cariovascularilly I'm sound, but I might just be carrying too much weight and muscle, causing me to bonk quickly when trying to extend an anerobic condition.

I'm the guy, who IF I had stamina, would be a very good central midfielder or even winger in soccer, but just can't... cause I just cannot keep working box to box for a full 90'

Generally I can outpace anyone in a footrace, but I just cannot do that back and forth all game and never been able to seem to EVER get that condition.

Anyone else been like this, and how have you gotten past it?

Redlined_8000
07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
There have been studies where gaining muscle will increase your 40M times based on explosiveness.

Being to muscle bound where it impedes performance is reserved for Bodybuilders. Even Franco Columbo was extremely fast and a boxer.

Hell Kevin Levrone Ran the 40 in the mid 4's, so I've read.

Get leaner and check this out Chad Waterbury's Body on F.I.R.E.

It's exactly what you want. Read the new article on Tnation.com

calgarygts
07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Run your ass off. It's not complicated - you've got to do longer training sessions where you're keeping your heart rate up. I'm basically the same athlete as you, sprinted in university, did bobsleigh and now and doing rugby as a winger. Over the last couple of years as I got away from bobsled I've really increased my endurance - it all came from running longer distances and doing some grueling rugby practices that will last up to two hours.

If you're really doing this for soccer then start lengthening out your training, if you've run that time for the 40 you won't have to worry about doing speed work as you'll always be relatively fast. In fact you may find that as you lose some weight with your endurance training you'll get lighter on your feet which could help with the change of direction you need for soccer.

EDIT - sorry I didn't read your post all that well. Although my first reply still applies as aerobic capacity does go hand in hand with anearobic recovery you really want to be doing mid distance type running workouts. Look up some track workouts for mid distance runners (ie- 400, 800, 1500m runners) as this is the type of workout that will most effectively work on the recovery you're looking to improve. Those are some shitty workouts, good luck.